T Nation

Post Workout Carbonation Idea?

Here’s an idea that could make a post-workout drink more effective than it already is, maybe only for the extremely neurotic. I’m no scientist, so it’s merely an idea… Most of us know that carbonated alcoholic beverages “hit you” faster than non-carbonated ones, as the carbonation enables the alcohol to be more rapidly absorbed by the bloodstream. I wonder if carbonating a post-workout beverage would produce the same effect – as in cause the macronutrients to be absorbed at a faster rate… Any thoughts?

There’s some conflicting information out there about carbonation and absorption from what I could find.

I found an argument for carbonation increasing the absorption of calcium (note this is specific to calcium).
…On the other hand, I found information stating that the phosphorus (in all carbonated beverages apparently) actually inhibits calcium absorption.

I could not find any articles about carbonation and macronutrient absorption whatsoever. I don’t think this is going to do anything positive for you. Might make you burp, or otherwise expel the gas, but that’s about all I can imagine.

Anyone else?

…I’ve also never noticed getting drunk faster by drinking carbonated alcoholic beverages. Or even having it “hit me” faster. I think that’s psychosomatic more than anything.

There really aren’t that many alcoholic beverages that are even carbonated. And if you say wine coolers you’re fuckin’ gay, and even if you do they are not.

I would say it’s not a feasible solution. Based solely on the fact that it just sounds stupid. Not sure if there would be a market for Sparkling Surge. The added sodium wouldn’t be desirable either.

Alcohol is quite unique in the way it does just about everything. I doubt if anything could be meaningfully inferred even from acurate data on how it worked with carbonation.

I tried this a lng time ago with creatine and ginger ale.

The most spectacular result was the fizzy explosion caused by adding creatine to the ginger ale. It was pioneering work on the mentos and pepsi craze that you see today.

Otherwise, nothing worth going out of your way for.

Uhhhh… Carbonation reduces HCl levels in your stomache and therefore creates poorer protein synthesis. So carbonation whould reduce the ability of the macro nutrients to “hit” you, or be absorbed.

Check Shugart’s interview with CP for that.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Uhhhh… Carbonation reduces HCl levels in your stomache and therefore creates poorer protein synthesis. So carbonation whould reduce the ability of the macro nutrients to “hit” you, or be absorbed.

-chris[/quote]

The alka seltzer effect. Great point.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:

-chris

The alka seltzer effect. Great point.[/quote]

Yeah, I think people expect too much from supplements. It’s mostly just food guys.

-chris