T Nation

Post-Workout Bloat

Does anyone else get exteremely bloated/full after drinking your post-workout shake, if so do you have any tips? I find it difficult to eat after I take my post-workout shake. I typically just man up and force feed myself, however this can be rather uncomfortable with 600+ calories! Please let me know…

How soon after your shake do you try and eat your PW meal? You might be rushing it a little man. Try to take an extra 15-20mins over and above what you’re already taking.

Correct me if I’m wrong…but I believe the gospel according to Berardi states that the PW meal should be consumed within an hour of the PW shake. So wait 50mins and then jam it in!

C

You are 100% correct about consuming the post-workout meal within an hour, problem is I can feel bloated long after that. Does anybody have this same experience?

I have also had problems with this. On top of feeling uncomfortable, I tend to look like I’m pregnant by the time I have my PW shake and meal(Maybe I’m just still too damn skinny). Have you tried taking Gas-X or something to reduce the bloated feeling? This has worked for me before.

D-Rock112, you are not properly digesting your PWO drink. A lack of enzymes are very likely the culprit. I would recommend two things. Try switching brands of PWO drinks and/or supplement with a plant-based digestive enzyme. For your particular situation, plant-based enzymes are the better choice (versus porcine/pancreatin/animal-based enzymes). Plant based enzymes operate in a wider pH range than pancreatin-type enzymes. The reason this is important is that the stomach is more acidic, and the intestines are more alkaline.

Be sure to take your enzyme with the first sip of your PWO drink. You want the digestive support it will provide you before what you’re drinking/eating ever hits the intestines.

I like Udo’s Enzyme product, but there are other good products out there, too.

Since you’ll be eating a large meal after your PWO drink, take two enyzmes with your meal.

Honestly, since you’re obviously a bit enzyme depleted, it wouldn’t hurt to take enzymes with every meal for a couple of months. I’m think seriously of making it a PERMANENT part of my regimen.

How big is your post workout shake? Also have you tried changing the amount of water you use to make it?

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
D-Rock112, you are not properly digesting your PWO drink. A lack of enzymes are very likely the culprit. I would recommend two things. Try switching brands of PWO drinks and/or supplement with a plant-based digestive enzyme. For your particular situation, plant-based enzymes are the better choice (versus porcine/pancreatin/animal-based enzymes). Plant based enzymes operate in a wider pH range than pancreatin-type enzymes. The reason this is important is that the stomach is more acidic, and the intestines are more alkaline.

Be sure to take your enzyme with the first sip of your PWO drink. You want the digestive support it will provide you before what you’re drinking/eating ever hits the intestines.

I like Udo’s Enzyme product, but there are other good products out there, too.

Since you’ll be eating a large meal after your PWO drink, take two enyzmes with your meal.

Honestly, since you’re obviously a bit enzyme depleted, it wouldn’t hurt to take enzymes with every meal for a couple of months. I’m think seriously of making it a PERMANENT part of my regimen.[/quote]

This worked for me. I always take a multi-enzyme supplement with every meal. Giardia seems to have messed up my pancreas.

Try this:

After preparing your shake, let it sit for 5-10 minutes so the air settles out.

That helps in my case and I too suffer from post-workout-shake bloating.

[quote]JNeves wrote:
How big is your post workout shake? Also have you tried changing the amount of water you use to make it?

[/quote]

I either use 2 1/2 scoops of Surge or another mixture with 80g carbs from Maltodextrin and 40g protein from Whey, it happens with both.

Thank you for the tips, I am going to order some enzymes and try to let it sit before I drink it

How much total liquid volume do you consume? Does it happen to the same extent with both Surge and your other whey? If it does, then this may be an indication of some other problem. With Surge, you should have greater absorption due to the fact that it’s already hydrolyzed.

Give the enzymes a try and let us know how it goes!

Cheers

[quote]D-Rock112 wrote:

I either use 2 1/2 scoops of Surge or another mixture with 80g carbs from Maltodextrin and 40g protein from Whey, it happens with both.
[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
How much total liquid volume do you consume? Does it happen to the same extent with both Surge and your other whey? If it does, then this may be an indication of some other problem. With Surge, you should have greater absorption due to the fact that it’s already hydrolyzed.

Give the enzymes a try and let us know how it goes!

Cheers[/quote]

I use around 12-16oz’s, it happens with both, the other Whey I use (When Surge is out of stock) is also Hydrolyzed. I will report back on the Enzymes, Thanks again!