Post-Workout Antioxidants

I currently take 500mg of vitamin C and 400 IU after working out. Are there any other oxidants out there that could help me?

I’ve considered getting Coenzyme Q-10, but it’s simply too expensive. What else is out there that could help me recover (excluding BCAA’s, whey and dextrose, of course)?

400 IU’s of what?

Zeb, I’m assuming 400 IU’s of Vitamin E.

Green tea has some amazing antioxidants, plus it increases insulin sensitivity.

I take 1,000 mg Vitamin C 30 minutes before my workout, and then another one after. I also include my Vitamin E (400 IU) after my workout.

Yes, I forgot to add the E after the IU. Too many single letters:)

I have some green tea fat burning stuff (dexatrim or something like it) that basically contains caffeine, ECGG (sp?), and some chromium. I am slowly running out of it, so should I just drink some green tea after my work out? With my shake or later? I drink about 2-3 cups a day already, but maybe a cup after working out will benefit me as well.

Atmosphere, that’s a lotta vitamin C. Are there any studies encouraging that much (I’m not saying it’s bad, but I have read some stuff about more than a G a day being a waste of money) or is it just personal preference?

Atmosphere, a couple months ago I had I really good anti-ox post going where some posters were pointing out data that demonstrated, counter-intuitively, that vitamin C taken PRE workout actually causes more oxidation. It threw me for a loop. I’d love to post a link to that thread because it really had some good shit, but because of my computer illiteracy I don’t know how to post links.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
Atmosphere, a couple months ago I had I really good anti-ox post going where some posters were pointing out data that demonstrated, counter-intuitively, that vitamin C taken PRE workout actually causes more oxidation. It threw me for a loop. I’d love to post a link to that thread because it really had some good shit, but because of my computer illiteracy I don’t know how to post links.[/quote]

Really? Hmmm, I’ll have to search and see what I can come up with! Thanks!

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
Yes, I forgot to add the E after the IU. Too many single letters:)

I have some green tea fat burning stuff (dexatrim or something like it) that basically contains caffeine, ECGG (sp?), and some chromium. I am slowly running out of it, so should I just drink some green tea after my work out? With my shake or later? I drink about 2-3 cups a day already, but maybe a cup after working out will benefit me as well.

Atmosphere, that’s a lotta vitamin C. Are there any studies encouraging that much (I’m not saying it’s bad, but I have read some stuff about more than a G a day being a waste of money) or is it just personal preference?[/quote]

Yeah, I just read up some more on Vitamin C, and it is a bit much. I was going on what I read in an article a long time ago, it was suggested by a big-name professional, but I can’t remember his name for the life of me.

I just read an article by JB and he states 250mg twice a day. So, I’m going to venture, based on the no-no on pre-work, that 250mg post workout is perfect. Then, follow that up with another dose later in the day, or earlier dependent upon when you workout.

Also, I forgot to mention that Alpha Lipoic Acid is one of the best anti-oxidants.

Drinking that extra cup post-workout wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Disclaimer: I’m on the phone with my girlfriend as I type, so my apologies if I’m wrong. Hard to think with both heads. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I find that anti-oxidant post during a search, I’ll definately post it for y’all.

Here’s one to ponder over:

Childs et al 2001
Supplementation with vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine increases oxidative stress in humans after an acute muscle injury induced by eccentric exercise.

There’s also single fibre work showing that pre “exercise” Vit E reduced force output, but how you want to interpret that is up to you.

Cheers