T Nation

Post-Surgery Wrist Problems

I had surgery on my wrist almost a year ago and when I do bicep curls my wrist hurts. I tried putting on a brace and it helps a little bit but im still haveing problems. The doctor said it would be normal and I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and how long it took to heal?

And also because my left wrist had a cast my left biceps are not as strong as my right. When I cant do anymore curls with my left I could still do 10 or more with my right. Should I just keep doing that untill my left catches up?

Let your left wrist dictate the weight and reps. Some nice, slow wrist curls and reverse wrist curls while concentrating on making the left to equal work will help. Supination & pronation machines are great if you have access.

I’ve had wrist surgery twice. It was a giant cell tumor and I had a reoccurence.

Before and after the first surgery I didn’t prepare very well and it took over 2 years before I was anywhere near former levels.

The second time around I kept working hard until a week before surgery to get “ahead of the curve”. It’s 14 months out right now and my reverse wrist curl poundages are still ~85% of what they were, which is still better than last time.

Worse than strength loss is the loss in range-of-motion. I cannot fully supinate my right hand and still cannot do flat-bar BB curls w/o pain (on anything more than 60 or 65 lbs).

Keep working through the pain, to a reasonable level. Keep your reps slow and avoid ballistic stuff at all costs. Most of all, be patient.

Good Luck,
Scott

MakeMoney,

What kind of surgery did you have?

I had a scapphoid i think its what it was called.

I had a very nasty mountain bike crash about 5 years ago that basically shattered my left wrist and I still have a steel plate in place as a result. For the first couple of months after the cast came off, I could barely hold a pencil and when I could finally start lifting again it was a slow, painful process. Swimming did wonders for helping me regain some range of motion and flexibility.

I too had a strength imbalance between my left and right arm for a couple of years but I stayed with it and it eventually caught back up. Deadlifts and pullups helped build up my forearm strength and I can now do heavy barbell curls pain free. I’ll never have 100% range of motion back but I really don’t notice the difference any more. Keep slowly but steadily pushing yourself to work through the pain barrier and you’ll get there.

[quote]MakeMoney101 wrote:
I had surgery on my wrist almost a year ago and when I do bicep curls my wrist hurts. I tried putting on a brace and it helps a little bit but im still haveing problems. The doctor said it would be normal and I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and how long it took to heal?

And also because my left wrist had a cast my left biceps are not as strong as my right. When I cant do anymore curls with my left I could still do 10 or more with my right. Should I just keep doing that untill my left catches up?[/quote]

I had wrist surgery at the base of my right thumb in 2002. I wasn’t able to lift for a year +. I still don’t have complete flexibility and it took almost three years for it to “feel right”.

I wouldn’t overload your strong arm if your weak one can’t match it. You don’t want one big arm and one smaller one.

Personally, I did slow pushups, dips and pullups. As well as other exercises that I would not have to apply excessive pressure on my wrist/thumb area. In other words, I didn’t put myself into situations where I could drop a weight on myself. Not really the recipe for getting big, but it kept me in less than disgusting shape.

About a year ago I felt comfortable enough that I was able to re-engage in a full range of exercises. My muscle memory has been kind to me and I regained most of my lost strength from my lay off.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.