Post-Surgery Motivation?

Hi all,

I'm having my right shoulder repaired on Fri  (supraspinatus sutured to the bone, sub-acromial depression, and A/C joint cleaned up).  Can't lift again for 4 months.  Now, the left shoulder is hurting, so I may have to have it done, too.  OK, so, I'm a big boy and can take care of myself, but if anyone has any words of motivation, or has had anything similar and wants to share their experiences, this would be appreciated.  What did you do for workouts (lower body, cardio, whatever) in the interim period to keep yourself sane?   Thanks in advance! 

[quote]patricio2626 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm having my right shoulder repaired on Fri  (supraspinatus sutured to the bone, sub-acromial depression, and A/C joint cleaned up).  Can't lift again for 4 months.  Now, the left shoulder is hurting, so I may have to have it done, too.  OK, so, I'm a big boy and can take care of myself, but if anyone has any words of motivation, or has had anything similar and wants to share their experiences, this would be appreciated.  What did you do for workouts (lower body, cardio, whatever) in the interim period to keep yourself sane?   Thanks in advance! [/quote]

hey man sorry to hear about your shoulder. I had a slap tear of my labrum and had surgery to repair my left shoulder about 7 months ago. Its a pretty shitty thing and its easy to get into a mini rut and start eating like shit (i know I did lol) cause you think “well whats the point?”

I couldn’t really do anything at all for the first 4 weeks. I was in a sling 24/7 to immobilize my arm so I couldn’t even do the treadmill or anything (therapists orders). There really wasn’t anything I could do as far as “staying in shape” goes except the small stuff my PT would have me do.

Anyway thats all pretty irrelevant to you I guess. I would just recommend keeping a positive mental attitude and look at it as a short term thing. I really found that doing belt squats let me do an exercise that was “manly” and that was somewhat heavy… thats what helped keep me sane. As far as cardio goes I couldn’t do anything that jarred my shoulder so walking on an incline was good and I liked it better than sitting on the bike forever.

Good luck with your shoulder man and it really isn’t that long till you’ll be back in the gym and hitting the weights so try not to get bummed out or discouraged. also really dial in your diet while your couch bound so you don’t gain unnecessary weight.

.greg.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Its a pretty shitty thing and its easy to get into a mini rut and start eating like shit (i know I did lol) cause you think “well whats the point?”
[/quote]

Exactly what I’m trying to avoid! Good to know about the belt squats; the only problem will be loading the bar, I guess. I could prob do a sh*t-ton of 25’s with one arm instead of 45’s and be the ‘weird guy’ in the gym with 6 25-lb plates on each side :slight_smile: . Yes, I am worried about my diet, as I don’t have much self-control and have really relied on exercise to counter-balance my silly caloric intake.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Its a pretty shitty thing and its easy to get into a mini rut and start eating like shit (i know I did lol) cause you think “well whats the point?”
[/quote]

Exactly what I’m trying to avoid! Good to know about the belt squats; the only problem will be loading the bar, I guess. I could prob do a sh*t-ton of 25’s with one arm instead of 45’s and be the ‘weird guy’ in the gym with 6 25-lb plates on each side :slight_smile: . Yes, I am worried about my diet, as I don’t have much self-control and have really relied on exercise to counter-balance my silly caloric intake.

[/quote]

hahahaha I hear ya. I’m the same way… Working out lets me get away with more stuff lol

.greg.

You can always work around what you have fixed too. Is it optimal? No. But sure as hell better than nothing.

I had shoulder surgery 2 years ago and trained my other arm/side of upper body. Also did leg extensions, curls, leg press until I could handle a safety squat bar.

7 months ago I had my knee repaired. I did tons of seated upper body and worked my other leg with machines.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. Just don’t give up. Good luck

Curious as to what caused the injury. I popped my AC joint and separated my shoulder about 4 years ago and have not done anything for it. I can’t barbell bench without pain. Have been dbs only after taking 6 months off after the football injury.

Motivation: Imagine being paralyzed… it could always be worse.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
Curious as to what caused the injury. I popped my AC joint and separated my shoulder about 4 years ago and have not done anything for it. I can’t barbell bench without pain. Have been dbs only after taking 6 months off after the football injury.

Motivation: Imagine being paralyzed… it could always be worse. [/quote]

Dunno, no real trauma to speak of. I think it’s just an angled acromion, and it has bone spurs that are going to be removed, also. True about paralysis; it could always be worse.

Hi all,

I'm having my right shoulder repaired on Fri  (supraspinatus sutured to the bone, sub-acromial depression, and A/C joint cleaned up).  Can't lift again for 4 months.  Now, the left shoulder is hurting, so I may have to have it done, too.  OK, so, I'm a big boy and can take care of myself, but if anyone has any words of motivation, or has had anything similar and wants to share their experiences, this would be appreciated.  What did you do for workouts (lower body, cardio, whatever) in the interim period to keep yourself sane?   Thanks in advance! [/quote]

i think to start, i would just do some light cardio and stretching…more or less just to catch up on rest, and allow your body to divert recovery to the shoulder. as it gets better, i’d start doing some other lifts, but i wouldn’t go too crazy…

if you’ve been training hard for a while, i’d suggest just taking the time to relax, hang out with friends and take a mental break.

good luck!

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Dunno, no real trauma to speak of. I think it’s just an angled acromion, and it has bone spurs that are going to be removed, also. True about paralysis; it could always be worse.[/quote]

With any injury, including paralysis, we just have to remember to be thankful for what we still have. We all take things for granted until they are injured. Use this time to focus on other areas and when your shoulder heals, you will have more motivation than any of us could provide to train it again.

Credentials:

I am about 7 weeks post surgery from getting my labrum reattached along with the whole joint cleaned up of arthritis and also a full capsule tightening. I was completely immobilized for the first three weeks and now am doing PT twice a week along with all the pt exercises twice daily. Really keep in mind that you cant eat like you did before while not lifting religiously. I hurt myself in the midst of a bulk and so my eating habits were less then phenomenal and that carried over post surgery also because i was pretty depressed about the whole thing. I realized i gained about 10 lbs but then once i was cleared to do the bike and other lower body stuff I started hitting the gym again. Hard.

I have two workouts and i go every other day now. I do HIIT on the bike for about 20 minutes and then do as much core work as i can. Mostly reverse hypers and decline bench sit ups with weight. The next workout day i do all my leg stuff. Try Goblet squats holding the dumbbell with one hand, one arm deadlifts, single leg squats. I am taking this as a time so far to really work on my instabilities in my lower body and to focus on the things i normally look over like my calves.

Stay strong and in the whole scheme of things four months is not that long. Im almost at two months and it has flown by. Just focus on doing your PT exercises perfectly and regularly so that your rehab progresses smoothly. Best of luck with everything.

Curious how you’re doing, Patricio, since I’m having a full-thickness supraspinatus tear repaired on Thursday.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Curious how you’re doing, Patricio, since I’m having a full-thickness supraspinatus tear repaired on Thursday.[/quote]

I PM’ed you, but just now saw that you wrote. Almost no pain now, 10 days post surgery (except when I wake up, it’s always throbbing then). I was off of pain meds w/in 3 days. The shoulder has great mobility, but NO freaking strength. I’m not supposed to be testing my strength, anyways, as it could tear the muscle loose from the suture. Building up this strength is going to be a bear, but the pain and discomfort has been much more tolerable than I was led to believe. Doc says I can start biking and jogging in another week or so, so I have that to look forward to, at least. 4 months before I can seriously lift again. The other shoulder is jacked, too, so I may be getting it done once I recover.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Dunno, no real trauma to speak of. I think it’s just an angled acromion, and it has bone spurs that are going to be removed, also. True about paralysis; it could always be worse.[/quote]

With any injury, including paralysis, we just have to remember to be thankful for what we still have. We all take things for granted until they are injured. Use this time to focus on other areas and when your shoulder heals, you will have more motivation than any of us could provide to train it again.

Credentials:

Damn, son, it looks like my injury is nothing compared to yours! Thanks for the nice words!