T Nation

Post Surgery Imbalances

i got surgery on my shoulder about 7 months ago on my left shoulder and my shoulder, lat, bi/tri on the left seem smaller than my right. any tips in evening them out? its constantly on my mind and hate looking at the left side when comparing. I’ve been lifting post surgery for about 2 months

Be patient…most important thing right now is to make sure that shoulder heals up properly. Keep hitting your rehab exercises at least twice per week. Once all of your stabilizer muscles have been built back up, start increasing weight and volume in your upper body pressing and pulling workouts each week. Do lots of dumbbell work to make sure your left side catches up with your right.

I’m 6 mos out from my left shoulder surgery. It was only A/C joint surgery with some subacromial scoping, but my A/C joint hurt like hell for about 3 months following the surgery. My left still hasn’t caught back up with my right shoulder, but I’m making good progress. I still do rotator cuff strengthening before every upper-body pressing workout. Good luck man.

[quote]RMichael wrote:
Be patient…most important thing right now is to make sure that shoulder heals up properly. [/quote]

Amen!
Proper rehab. is the shortest distance between where you are and where you want to be. It was two years following my shoulder surgery before my pecks, delts, and triceps looked balanced again.

[quote]RMichael wrote:
Keep hitting your rehab exercises at least twice per week. . [/quote]

I’d say this but even better, do it everyday. Do soft tissue work, muscle toning etc. Most important eat very very clean, it significantly speeds up healing.

i will continue to do rehab even though ive been slacking and just lifting. thanks for the advice. time heals all

It takes about a year or so to balance out in size again. I had surgery on my left shoulder, and noticed that with all the PT strength returned much sooner than size. The mind muscle connection with my back on the left side is much better than the right. I can bench more on the right side, but on db rows my right side can no longer keep up with my “bad” shoulder.

It also depends on how extensive the surgery was. I had a bankhart repair, anterior capsular shift, and rotator interval closure done on my left shoulder. Took 4 months just for ROM to return, 6 more for strength to be about 90%, and another 2 at about 90% for size to catch up.