Post Surgery Deadlift Starting Weight

Hi Jim, I’d like your input since you’ve also had surgery.

After the 6 week block I am currently on I’ll be past 9mo out from shoulder surgery. The surgeon didn’t want me deadlifting until 9mo out because the muscle had been torn for around 15 years and 9mo ago was to fix a re-tear at 4mo out from first surgery.

I’m not sure what to start with on the deadlift. My previous max was 505 at 195lb. I’ve Been doing SSB squats so my legs have been getting work.

I was thinking 135 as a TM, I don’t know if that’s too little or too much, use just the bar??

I have been doing suitcase walks with no pain with 50lb KB. This 6 week block I added RDL’s in as deadlift day with a TM of 200 and no pain so far doing those. if that can be used as a guide?

Thanks!!

PS any tips for getting external rotation back? I’ve tried doing door stretches and laying with a dumbbell on my wrist until my hand hits the floor and holding but as soon as I stop it goes back to being poor ROM. I still cant hold a regular squat bar.

After quite a few surgeries myself, all I can tell you is do what doesn’t hurt. Be it the bar only or a few plates, doesn’t matter. #1 goal is to get better. Everything else is not on the radar. It hurts, you are done for the day.

[quote]John Henry wrote:
Hi Jim, I’d like your input since you’ve also had surgery.

After the 6 week block I am currently on I’ll be past 9mo out from shoulder surgery. The surgeon didn’t want me deadlifting until 9mo out because the muscle had been torn for around 15 years and 9mo ago was to fix a re-tear at 4mo out from first surgery.

I’m not sure what to start with on the deadlift. My previous max was 505 at 195lb. I’ve Been doing SSB squats so my legs have been getting work.

I was thinking 135 as a TM, I don’t know if that’s too little or too much, use just the bar??

I have been doing suitcase walks with no pain with 50lb KB. This 6 week block I added RDL’s in as deadlift day with a TM of 200 and no pain so far doing those. if that can be used as a guide?

Thanks!!

PS any tips for getting external rotation back? I’ve tried doing door stretches and laying with a dumbbell on my wrist until my hand hits the floor and holding but as soon as I stop it goes back to being poor ROM. I still cant hold a regular squat bar.

[/quote]

I think you are being extremely cautious. Just do one cycle of a TM of 205 with SSL at 5x5. 5’s PRO for all sets. See how you feel. If you feel good, do a very “non psyche” approx 5RM test (jumping 40 pounds) and establish a new TM.

Yeah I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about another re-tear.

I’ll follow that plan.

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate it!

Thanks also JFG.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

I think you are being extremely cautious. Just do one cycle of a TM of 205 with SSL at 5x5. 5’s PRO for all sets. See how you feel. If you feel good, do a very “non psyche” approx 5RM test (jumping 40 pounds) and establish a new TM.
[/quote]

Hi Jim, Could I just clarify I understood your suggestion.

Squat day

SSB squat 5/3/1

Deadlift 5’s pro
Abs 5x10-20

Deadlift day

Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift SSL 5x5

SSB Squat 5x10
Abs 5x10-20

Thank you