Post Smolov Strength Maintenance/Regulation

Just completed the Smolov Base cycle for full depth squats, with a starting max of 340lbs. I’m probably around 370lbs, the last day I had was 320lbsx10x3. It was very tough, but I’ve been through this before, and the Intense cycle is much harder. What I have to say is that sleep is the most important thing.

Now, I’m trying to convert this strength to explosive strength by using the French Contrast. I still need to maintain my gaiined Smolov strength though. I’ll be doing French Contrast 4x a week. What can I do after my French Contrast to maintain the strength? I was thinking maybe Russian Squat Routine?

6’1" 15 years old, 180lbs.

It seems like your question implies your squat strength will drop off dramatically if you don’t choose the right progression. It really shouldn’t regardless of your program as long as you are training consistently and progressing every week.

1 Like

In my experience it is very hard to keep Smolov gains for long after completing it. It is a method of peaking. You can certainly keep a portion of the strength gained, especially if you are in still in the 300s with your 1RM, but not 100% of it.

I would recommend working off of a percentage of your new 1RM, unless you are trying to compete very soon or just wanting to see how hard you can push it within the next 8 weeks or so.

1 Like