T Nation

Post-Rock Climbing Nutrition

So in addition to working out 4-5 days a week I go climbing or bouldering twice a week. My general nutrition is P+F meals except during and right after my workouts (Surge) and an hour afterwards (two pieces of fruit and tuna), and a carb day, which all involve P+C meals.

I am currently looking to gain muscle mass.

Rock climbing provides SOME potential for hypertrophy, in the forearms mostly, but a bit in the lats and biceps. What should I eat after I climb? I have been eating P+F meals with a bit extra low-GI carbs from beans. Do people have other suggestions?

Thanks

I climbed 3-5 days a week for about three years in college and I never ate a special diet like I do when I am bodybuilding/lifting. After a night of hard climbing one of our favorite things to do was just get a burger and a beer. It worked fine for us. One of my buddies placed 8th in the bouldering world cup one year, so I don’t think it was precise nutrition holding any of us back.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
So in addition to working out 4-5 days a week I go climbing or bouldering twice a week. My general nutrition is P+F meals except during and right after my workouts (Surge) and an hour afterwards (two pieces of fruit and tuna), and a carb day, which all involve P+C meals.

I am currently looking to gain muscle mass.

Rock climbing provides SOME potential for hypertrophy, in the forearms mostly, but a bit in the lats and biceps. What should I eat after I climb? I have been eating P+F meals with a bit extra low-GI carbs from beans. Do people have other suggestions?

Thanks[/quote]

I’d go with Surge after climbing if you are working hard. It’s what it was made for after all.

beebuddy,
I know I definitely can’t get away with sloppy nutrition

HK,
You don’t think a Surge is just too much? Rock Climbing does not tear up muscles anywhere near as much as lifting. Maybe just a generic P+C meal (like some tuna or chicken and a couple pieces of fruit) would work? I definitely can’t overdo it with the high-GI carbs as I gain BF pretty easily

How long are the sessions? How intense if the climbing?

I don’t see how a solid 1 hr session of climbing, for instance, wouldn’t put your peri-workout nutrition in the same league as a session of lifting.

An hour and a half. Pretty intense, but I really wouldn’t compare it to lifting. Lifting tears up large volumes of muscle fibers, rock-climbing can be strenuous, but there’s only hypertrophy in the forearms and to a much lesser extent lats and biceps. In my opinion at least, though I’m pretty paranoid about adding too many carbs to my diet in general