Post Post Work Out Carbs

Finished lifting and drank a shake with about 50 gms protein and some honey… it has been an hour since then - I am thinking a few cans of tuna and 1/2 c. oats with a scoop of casein and some raspberries/strawberries.

Is this a good meal post post work out?

what are your goals and current stats?

Seems a bit protein heavy to me. You are talking about around 100-120 grams of protein (with 3 cans of tuna at 30 grams each plus the casein) and only 40-50 grams of carbs.

Current stats:

age - 21
weight - 170
height - 5 10

Goals are to gain size slowly and loss body fat at the same time. I have very little body fat, so I am just trying to loss around my lower set of abs.

I ended up eating:

1/2 c oats, 1 sc. casein, 4 oz strawberries
1 small can tuna (18gms protein)

It was a very satisfying meal. I am going to put casein in my oatmeal from now on.

That meal seems cool. Have you noticed if its setting you back at all?

Agree, seems like a good meal. And for the record, I always put protein powder (either Grow or Metabolic Drive) in my oatmeal. Tastes great and is good for you.

This is the first time I have experimented with this particular meal. I have noticed increased energy when not on this under 30gms carb diet thing. I like carbs, so I am going to keep them clean and timed properly so I can enjoy my food.

Yeah, whey in the oatmeal is a definite win. You can actually add it as the only flavor adder and really spice up the oatmeal. Try adding cinnamon as well. :wink:

Am I correct in consuming complex carbs versus simple carbs about one hour post work out? Does it matter the carb source at this time, as simple is only “needed” right after a work out?

I always consume a simple carb post workout. Sugar, dextrose, white bread, some sort of jam on white bread.

I consume only carbs pre and post workout. The next meal after the post workout is prot and fat only. It works too.
I splitted my amount of carbs on training days in 3 parts. One in the morning and around my training. On non training days only for breakfast. Called Metabolic Diet.
I have enough power for training and hopefully it helps to decrease my body fat or increase the lean muscles without having so much body fat gained. Depends on the goal.

regards