T Nation

Post Massage Therapy

Yesterday I had Massage Therapy on my left shoulder and lower back. Today those areas are quite sore.

So I ask what would be best to take after Massage Therapy to avoid the next day soreness? Its too late now but I thought that I should have taken a serving of Surge. Possibly the BCAAs in Surge would help the muscle re-build after the battering it took from the massage.

Thoughts anyone?

[quote]jtroster wrote:
Yesterday I had Massage Therapy on my left shoulder and lower back. Today those areas are quite sore.

So I ask what would be best to take after Massage Therapy to avoid the next day soreness? Its too late now but I thought that I should have taken a serving of Surge. Possibly the BCAAs in Surge would help the muscle re-build after the battering it took from the massage.

Thoughts anyone?[/quote]

Good question and I have addressed this before with track sprinters I was working with in Tampa. Travis Skaggs, a world class therapist from St. Petersburg would do deep work but the soreness was not too bad because his palpation skills were out of this world. He then would suggest a lot of water and we would use a PWO formula. A half a serving of Surge should do the trick. Just enough to stimulate repair.

[quote]jtroster wrote:

Thoughts anyone?[/quote]

The “Happy Ending” is there for the extreme relaxation and stops the muscle soreness.

Ask for it next time!

At least that’s my best excuse! Ha Ha

Deep muscle massage will often make you sore the next day because they move the muscles in ways you haven’t. Any of the post workout techniques to lessen muscle soreness should work.

I would recommend heat (heating pad, sauna/steam, jacuzzi, hot bath) and acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Some gentle stretching may help, too. Not sure if the Surge would help, but it couldn’t hurt.

Some soreness is to be expected after deep work, but excessive discomfort/pain is usually a sign that the work was too deep. Personally, I always think that a massage should be an enjoyable experience, not something to be “endured”.

So take a couple of Tylenol and jump in the hot tub! HTH

Edit: Carl mentioned something I forgot - drink lots of water, too.

Drink lots & lots of water immediately after. OTC anti-inflammatories can help too.

Get a carton of Epsom Salt. Dissolve the whole carton in a very hot bath, ensure there is enough water for you to submerge the sore parts of your body, soak in this for 30 minutes. The effects are wonderful.

[quote]Bodhisattva wrote:
Drink lots & lots of water immediately after. OTC anti-inflammatories can help too.

Get a carton of Epsom Salt. Dissolve the whole carton in a very hot bath, ensure there is enough water for you to submerge the sore parts of your body, soak in this for 30 minutes. The effects are wonderful.[/quote]

Excellent rec.

I had forgotten about Epsom Salt.

Thanks for all the replies.

This massage was not for relaxation but to deal with a problem I had with my left shoulder. When I was pressing (DB or BB, flat or incline) my I felt a clicking or shifting in my left shoulder accompanied by slight pain. The therapist found that that some muscles in the shoulder area were underdeveloped compared to my chest and this was causing the problem. The message was to correct that imbalance. I now have to work more on my delts and Pectoralis Minor to correct the imbalance. Thanks goodness it was not an RC tear.

The good news is that during a light workout this morning the shifting feeling was greatly diminished.