T Nation

Post-Injury Return to 5/3/1

Was out of training for around half the year and starting to make my return. I’ve been doing the 5’s PRO for cycle one and now into week 1 of cycle 2. What should I do when I finish the second cycle? I would think to plug in my Cycle 2/Week 3 weight+reps for my training max following but just wanted to make sure.

Pre-injury Max:
Deadlift - 365 x 6
Squat - 295 x 1

I plugged in 225 as my max for cycle one.

There are numerous ways to go: you have to use your best judgment and rely on your experience. Without personally coaching you, no one can accurately tell you what to do. If you stick with the principles in the article I wrote about training around and after injuries, you’ll find your way.

Thanks Jim

Can someone post the link to that article on training around injury please? I can’t get the T-Nation search engine to work

http://www.T-Nation.com/training/shoulder-rehab-wendler-style I think this is what you’re looking for?

I just went through the same thing. Once the doctor released me to start pressing, I just picked a week and worked up to a moderately easy 5 rep max on all 4 lifts, then calculated a 1RM from that, took 90% for a training max, and went from there. It was way light, I just finished my 6th cycle with no resets and I’m hitting 10/8/5 on the plus sets of 5/3/1 respectively, and I’m fine with that. I’m using joker sets to move more weight when I feel strong, and once I start needing resets I’ll switch to up 5/back 3 progression.

[quote]OTHSteve wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/training/shoulder-rehab-wendler-style I think this is what you’re looking for?

I just went through the same thing. Once the doctor released me to start pressing, I just picked a week and worked up to a moderately easy 5 rep max on all 4 lifts, then calculated a 1RM from that, took 90% for a training max, and went from there. It was way light, I just finished my 6th cycle with no resets and I’m hitting 10/8/5 on the plus sets of 5/3/1 respectively, and I’m fine with that. I’m using joker sets to move more weight when I feel strong, and once I start needing resets I’ll switch to up 5/back 3 progression.[/quote]

You have common sense - very good to read this.

Congrats on the progress and overcoming injury.