Post Finasteride Regimen, Advice?

Hi guys.

I’m dealing with PFS for 4 years now.

Backstory: Used fina 1mg/day for 2 years and slowly developed side effects. Quit cold turkey.

So still dealing with the typical pfs side effects. ED, no libido, brainfog, anhedonia.

In these 4 years I recovered one week with arimidex usage, but sadly it was a brief recovery and I couldn’t replicate the results. Have tried some herbs too but that didn’t help.

Here is my recent bloodwork: (couldn’t get DHT tested sadly)

FSH 2.5 U/L 1.5 - 12.4
LH 2.3 U/L 1.7 - 8.6
Testosteron 479 ng/dl 300 - 800
SHBG 41.9 nmol/L 18.3 - 54.1
Free test 0.299 nmol/L 0.198 - 0.619
estrogen 35 ng/L <43

Now I know several people who recovered from PFS with things like proviron, HCG/clomid and even anavar.

But I’m a noob when it comes to these things.

Now I ask you guys to advise me on a proper regimen. I believe proviron, anavar and even halotestin are interesting to try sice they are DHT derived AAS.

Thank you for your help, pfs makes life hell.

1 Like

Bump

Sorry to hear this, it’s not unusual, not that it makes you feel better. As it seems you already know, there are a lot of things out there to try. I think I would look to double testosterone levels to start.

2 Likes

I see. What is the best way to do this? (don’t want to hop on TRT yet)

I’ve read clomid and HCG can do this.

Still a noob in all this

I would try:

1. testosterone
  2. hCG
  3. Anavar
  4. Clomid

In that order.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations.

What type of test should I try and for how long?

Cypionate or enanthate would be fine. As for how long, that’s a tough one. I’d give it at least six months. Some really have trouble recovering from PFS, so maybe even longer. I would not give up easily though.

1 Like

Since you don’t want to hop on TRT (don’t blame you), have you discussed with your provider a trial of hCG monotherapy which would typically be used to gauge the capability of your testicles? This type of treatment would be used as first line for secondary hypogonadism. 500 IU of urinary derived chorionic gonadotropin (Pregnyl or equivalent) 3 times per week injected subcutaneously.

Nice thing about trying this before test is you get a chance to see how effective your testicles could work if your pituitary was making more LH.

May want to discuss with your medical professional.

While the paper gives you some basics I would discuss with your provider starting at much lower dosages (again 500 IU 3x per week).

1 Like

Very interesting. Yes HCG is high on my list. I know one with PFS who recovered with HCG mono therapy and others where HCG was part of their recovery.

This is the guy, I’ll quote:

After nearly 4 years of suffering, I have finally & fully recovered from Post Finasteride Syndrome

All my symptoms have subsided and improved with this method which takes a while but I am fully functional

It’s H.C.G (HCG) dosed at 250IU Monday, Wednesday and Friday only. I did this for 6 months straight but at the 10th week or so, the improvements were weekly.

That is 250IU, not a typo… so you’ll mix your 5000iu HCG with 5CC water and take 1/4 CC intramuscular three times a week using an insulin needle.

Penile shrinkage reversed and might actually be fuller than pre PFS. I have erections from stimulation, random & morning wood again. As well as nocturnal from different tests I performed. I had an injury due to weak penile tissue at the week of my crash in Oct of 2016 and that’s filled out too. I can feel the slight difference during an erection but it’s negligible and improving even while off HCG.

Overall testicular size is obviously returned with HCG treatment. The scrotal tightening that I used to experience is gone too. My genitals hang properly, are warm and have proper color. This area was the most recovery and reversal of symptoms.

The dosage needs to be low and steady, do not increase or add a day thinking more is better. Long term HCG treatment at high dosages can cause issues. (Read up on desensitization of Leydig Cells but don’t get nervous at this plan)

LH stimulation from HCG also improves all downstream steroid production like progesterone which then helps neurosteroids. My depression and social withdrawal has diminished as well.

Here are two interesting studies but understand the conditions of these patients were not PFS but helps with my research

Enhanced stimulation of 5 alpha-reductase activity in cultured Leydig cell precursors by human chorionic gonadotropin. - PubMed - NCBI

Penile Growth in Response to Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) Treatment in Patients with Idiopathic Hypogonadotrophic Hypogonadism*

I also find this video interesting:

1 Like

I would actually probably try HCG first if I was you, then T second. No scientific reason but I’ve read similar for a few PFS people liking HCG.

1 Like

Oh another question.

Clomid raises LH and FSH right. But it’s easier to get than HCG.

Can’t I just use clomid instead of HCG?

Most people feel worse on clomid because of its affect on estrogen receptors. It will usually increase your levels, but not a lot of people feel better on it (pfs or otherwise). I was a f’ing crazy person on it. Screaming at my wife in the middle of a crowded restaurant with her friends because she wanted to stay 5 more mins, etc. Needless to say I’m not trying that one again

2 Likes

How much were you taking 50mg?

You can. Keep in mind that Clomid is a drug that tricks your brain into not “seeing” estrogen, setting hormones cascading to eventually increase testosterone, and therefore estrogen through aromatization. Your brain won’t see the E2, so you’ll keep testosterone higher. There are E2 receptors Clomid won’t block, therefore the experiences like what ncsugrad2002 reported.

While men have very little hCG, therefore it is not natural to jack it up, it is not a synthetic man made chemical. However, if you are looking to try something for the short term, I think I would reverse the order I gave you earlier, hCG then test. I don’t think it will be a permanent fix and you’ll end up on testosterone anyway, but maybe not. It’s worth trying. Good luck. I’ve seen some tough PFS cases.

2 Likes

This. You will be able to collect data point you wouldn’t otherwise get with Test. Best response I have ever had was with hCG monotherapy from a sexual health standpoint. Try the protocol for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

@highpull you are a thoughtful Provider. I appreciate you.

1 Like

I think a key point people need to consider is some guys’ physiology (from a sexual health standpoint) prefers a total T between 400-600 ng/dL. Very broad generalization and need to consider SHBG, etc, etc, etc.

Throwing test at the issue, pushing trough T values above 1000 ng/dL may make the issue worse. Then nandrolone, oxandrolone, etc for joint problems layers on additional complexity. That’s why I think if you are secondary an individual should consider hCG montherapy first so they get a data point and learn something before completely shutting down the HPTA with TRT.

Again, this comment really directed at guys on the fence (250-400 ng/dL) where the pituitary may not be doing enough for a number of reasons.

1 Like

Interesting. Btw my brother who is 3 years older has a test level of 600.

Sadly I have no hormonal data before I took fina.

Me neither. Wish I did. I literally was at the doc and told them to test everything they could in December of 2017 when I was on dut but felt really good, then all my issues started like 2-3 months later. I go back to look at those results and they literally just ordered CBC and fasting glucose basically. No thyroid, no sex hormones. I was pretty pissed.

I really wish everyone had very thorough blood work when they were 18-21 and still feeling good as a baseline.

1 Like

This proves how shit and ignorant doctors and the medical system is. Everyone going on long term hormonal treatments should have their hormone levels checked as a mandatory, basic precaution.

It absolutely baffles my mind this is not the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info!

I have one more question.

What clomid cycle would you recommend me? How long should I take it and at what dosage?

I’m still a noob in this.