Post Early 90s Hip Hop Only

Not really sure on the rules. Was gonna keep everything before ‘95, but I see we’re giving ourselves a little creative freedom, so I’ma get a lil’ loose…

- YouTube [a little early but worth it]

- YouTube [early ‘01, shhs don’t say nothin’]

SSC, like your moves. This thread has ridiculous potential.

[quote]Seize wrote:
johnson575 wrote:
This is a little bit more modern, but i didnt really get into hip hop until the later years.

Atmosphere - Modern mans hustle.

Atmosphere - Don’t ever f*cking question that.

That’s not really early 90’s.

Anyhow, I’m a very big Slug/Atmosphere fan. My fave Atmosphere album would have to be ‘Overcast’. Lyrically, IMO, Slug is one of the illest to ever grab a mic.
[/quote]

Dig.

I have to continue the 90’s time jack with an old Headshot.

The Jackpot/Swept Away

[quote]Jack Urboady wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Your thread title is misleading. The golden era of rap/hip-hop was the early 90’s,

That’s what I said in my title mate. Post Early 90’s Hip Hop.

Some excellent tracks in there dude. Keep postin them up. I’l go thru em when I come back from the pub

Cheers WhiteFlash!

[/quote]

Ha, my bad man. I read it wrong.

[quote]SBT wrote:
Seize wrote:
johnson575 wrote:
This is a little bit more modern, but i didnt really get into hip hop until the later years.

Atmosphere - Modern mans hustle.

Atmosphere - Don’t ever f*cking question that.

That’s not really early 90’s.

Anyhow, I’m a very big Slug/Atmosphere fan. My fave Atmosphere album would have to be ‘Overcast’. Lyrically, IMO, Slug is one of the illest to ever grab a mic.

Dig.

I have to continue the 90’s time jack with an old Headshot.

The Jackpot/Swept Away
Atmosphere-Jackpot / Swept Away - YouTube [/quote]

Alright, I was guilty of it too, but lets keep it above the belt fellas.

Lots of good picks! Hence,my only contribution…Lords Of The Underground - Funky Child:

Oh…something local from back in my day

Scarface - Money and the Power:

Not early 90’s,but influenced every New Orleans rappers from the 90’s…think Manny Fresh/Cash Money.
The Showboys - Drag Rap:

Dont have access to youtube at work so I will give a list of my favorites during the 1990s

Beatnuts
Organized Konfusion
Tribe Called Quest
OC
Kool G Rap (all of his stuff really not only early 90s)
Black Moon
Jeru the Damaja
Gangstar
Showbiz & AG
Diamond D
Souls of Mischief
Freey Style Fellowship
Comptons Righteous
Jasyson and Grayson
The Alkoholics
Early Cypress Hill
Artifacts
Del the funky Homosapien
Leader of the New School
Lords of the Underground
Fifth Platoon
De La Soul
Pete Rock and CL Smooth
Craig G
Keith Murray
Live Squad
Main Source
Brand Nubian
Masta Ace
WU TANG
DAS EFX
ONYX
XCLAN
Lord Finesse
3rd Bass.
EPMD
Downtown Science
Warren G
KMG
Smif n Wessun
Ultramags
Big L (RIP)

I could go on forever…I still listen to it all, simply the best era for hip hop

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

Not early 90’s,but influenced every New Orleans rappers from the 90’s…think Manny Fresh/Cash Money.
The Showboys - Drag Rap:

Boss man! I was trying to ease these boys into the Texas thing with UGK and you had to hit 'em with some Scarface. I’m not sure they’re ready for all that man, but…

I almost put Big Pokeys June 27th freestyle, but if you’re not from here I’m not sure people would “get it”.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

The Showboys - Drag Rap:

This I’m diggin’.

It took 8 posts before a black person showed up in this thread. And then another 3 posts before a 2nd black guy showed up.

I guess everyone in here are gonna be 2009 version of House of Pain.

“Jump around! Jump Around!”

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
It took 8 posts before a black person showed up in this thread. And then another 3 posts before a 2nd black guy showed up.

“Jump around! Jump Around!”[/quote]

I’m not white…but suppose your point still applies :(.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

The Showboys - Drag Rap:

Boss man! I was trying to ease these boys into the Texas thing with UGK and you had to hit 'em with some Scarface. I’m not sure they’re ready for all that man, but…

I almost put Big Pokeys June 27th freestyle, but if you’re not from here I’m not sure people would “get it”.

[/quote]

Good stuff. But damn,another reminder of Fat Pat(and Big Hawk) being gone…R.I.P.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

“Jump around! Jump Around!”[/quote]

lol…you’re a fool,Wol.

Wol, if you didn’t like the Simpsons and pancakes I’m not sure you’d have any redeeming qualities.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

The Showboys - Drag Rap:

Good stuff. But damn,another reminder of Fat Pat(and Big Hawk) being gone…R.I.P.[/quote]

A buddy of mine used to go to the studio all those dudes rapped out of. It was in some guys house in Sunny Side or Acres Homes. Archie Lee, Fat Pat, Keke, Big Pokey, just about everybody from that 96-99 era of Houston rap. Met Archie Lee. He was pretty cool but was fried out pretty much nonstop.

What was wrong with House of Pain…shit I even liked him when he was plain old Everlast down with the rhyme syndicate…yahtzee!

I’d argue the best hip hop was really pre 1990… geto boys, rakim, ice cube, nwa et al…

After that there is really such a small group of huge contributors and many were right on that border anyways: Pac, Biggie, DMX, Jay Z.

I definitely agree it has gotten ridiculously bad now:(

At some point it became anethema to mix really good lyricists with really good beat makers:(
Now you have great lyricists rapping over droll drum beats or nice beats backing up a high school chant.

All of those groups you mentioned can also be considered early to mid 90s as well

[quote]jazander wrote:
I’d argue the best hip hop was really pre 1990… geto boys, rakim, ice cube, nwa et al…

After that there is really such a small group of huge contributors and many were right on that border anyways: Pac, Biggie, DMX, Jay Z.

I definitely agree it has gotten ridiculously bad now:(

At some point it became anethema to mix really good lyricists with really good beat makers:(
Now you have great lyricists rapping over droll drum beats or nice beats backing up a high school chant.

[/quote]

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

The Showboys - Drag Rap:

This I’m diggin’. [/quote]

And that shit is from 1984!

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

The Showboys - Drag Rap:

This I’m diggin’.

And that shit is from 1984![/quote]

Awesome, now you’ve got me searching for more ‘New Orleans Bounce’ [that’s what they called it in the vid] :D.