Post Deadlift Lower Back Pain

Just looking for some feedback about where other people feel sore after heavy deadlifts. Typically, I am always sore in my lower back and tailbone area. The soreness/pain persists for a few days and then goes away…until the next time I deadlift.

Is this normal? Or is it an indication that my form needs to be improved.

When I did deadlifts properly (for me) with circle plates, I never felt any real lower back pain/soreness.

Post a video of your deadlift and let members see your form first. It will help everyone give you better advice. Otherwise, describing soreness can be arbitrary and confusing from person to person.

I’m getting a nasty little pain for a few days after deadlift also. It’s deep, at the top of my right glute. Do you feel it there or just the tailbone?

Rolling a tennis ball around seems to give me temporary relief.

I was having similar pain around my SI joints. This is where the pelvis bones join with the tailbone. It was worse on my left side, but hurt on both.

After trying a bunch of things, I narrowed it down to trying to arch my low back too much. If I just let my low back stay flat, not arched or rounded, it’s fine. Maybe give that a shot?

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Now that I think about it, I might be arching my back a little too muchâ?¦.I’ll try and upload a video for critique/comments. Again, appreciate the help!

I find that back pain post deadlift tends to be a result of trying to use the back to lockout the rep versus the hips.

I had the same issue, and for me, the fix was to switch from shoes with a little bit of a sole (like Chucks) to shoes with very, very thin sole and no rise at the heel (NB Minimus Zero). My arms are average length (my reach = my height - 70"). Taking away that half-inch or whatever it was made a huge difference and allowed me to improve my form a lot.

[quote]magick wrote:
When I did deadlifts properly (for me) with circle plates, I never felt any real lower back pain/soreness.[/quote]

You think circle plates make that much of a difference???

[quote]blindpirate wrote:

You think circle plates make that much of a difference???[/quote]

Apparently yes for me.

I just can’t get into a good position with hex-plates. I always get more of my lower back into the action than I want to.

[quote]magick wrote:

Apparently yes for me.

I just can’t get into a good position with hex-plates. I always get more of my lower back into the action than I want to.[/quote]

I second this. Hex plates are designed to deter deadlifts.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Apparently yes for me.

I just can’t get into a good position with hex-plates. I always get more of my lower back into the action than I want to.[/quote]

I second this. Hex plates are designed to deter deadlifts. [/quote]

That makes sense. I always find myself shuffling around between reps to get into position. Haven’t used circle plates for years {only hex at my gym}.

[/quote] I just can’t get into a good position with hex-plates. I always get more of my lower back into the action than I want to.[/quote]

Whoa. This is brilliant insight. My gym has both hex and circle plates. It never occurred to me that hex plates could be an issue. I plan on DL tomorrow and will use circle plates exclusively.

That makes sense. I always find myself shuffling around between reps to get into position. Haven’t used circle plates for years {only hex at my gym}.
[/quote]

I don’t mean to say that you can’t deadlift with hex-plates; there are guys at my gym who pull 495lb for singles with hexplates.

But I’m willing to bet that those guys can do a lot more than just 495lb on the deadlift if they had circle plates. After all, these guys also squat 405lb+ for reps. It doesn’t make a lot of sense that they can only pull 495lb. I’m willing to believe that they’re intentionally limiting themselves on the deadlift.