Post Comp Programming?

i have never trained for aesthetics solely and always put performance as a priority in my training, but i just competed in my first bodybuilding competition on the weekend and placed 3rd in my division. i could of been tighter and have learnt some things about my body and the way it responds. my real question is in regards to my training and programming in my “off-season” i really want to work on pure hypertrophy for a while and bring up my hamstrings and lats especially as well as doing some hypertrophy work on my abs to help them “pop” a bit better. but all round trying to embrace body building and a physique based approach.

The basic approach i have taken on for this reverse dieting phase back to maintenance cals is madcow 5x5 with a little bit of extra assistance work around the 8-10 rep range (3-4 movements x 3-4 sets) which i understand is still far from a bodybuilding purist approach.

basically i am looking for some programming advice for this next three months or so as i have never focused solely on hypertrophy and would like to bring something better to the stage (not just better conditioning) full bodybuilding focus!

Hey quick question, sorry nothing about your original post. But did you use Dream Tan for the competition? I’ve been contemplating using that over Pro-tan but wanted somone’s opinion, first hand on dream tan. Thats a good dark base you got.

Yeah bro, i had a spray tan on the friday, another one saturday morning and then dream tan ontop

do you think the dream tan was messy? hard to put on? that’s what i usually here are the downside of it.

I don’t have specific advice, but rather a general observation. Going by this one pic (which of course may be misleading), you look like two different people above vs below. That is, your legs are HUGE (especially your medialis!) compared to your upper body. Thus, whatever training model you adopt, consider cutting back on leg work so you can devote more time/energy to your upper body. Best of luck.

I’m a bit unfamiliar with “mad cow”, but I’ve always kept whatever exercises work for me and my physique goals whether prep or off season. The factors I adjust post show are volume, not going to failure, and scaling back cardio and training frequency (as needed).

I’m sure not everyone will agree with me, but IMO training programs are the most needlessly over complicated aspect of training.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I wasnt very clear before but i have been powerlifting and pure performance based training up to date with no real focus (except for this last 16 week bodybuilding process) so basically i was looking for some insight into how others focus their training inbetween shows if their goals were purely phyisique oriented. Appreciate your responses nation

Not meaning to cause trouble, but for those more internet savvy than myself: does this photo look like it was altered/photoshopped?

The size of the head on the body just doesn’t look right to me, but maybe the guy just has a larger head than average.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Not meaning to cause trouble, but for those more internet savvy than myself: does this photo look like it was altered/photoshopped?

The size of the head on the body just doesn’t look right to me, but maybe the guy just has a larger head than average.[/quote]
Lighting, angle and difference in skin tone from tanning.

The size of the head on the body just doesn’t look right to me, but maybe the guy just has a larger head than average.[/quote]

Lol everyone’s head looks bigger when their bodies get smaller. Besides, no one likes using multiple coats of fake tanner on their faces, hence the abundance of lighter toned heads on dark bodies at contests.

S

Loads of good stuff here…
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one?id=4404649&pageNo=0

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
The factors I adjust post show are volume, not going to failure, and scaling back cardio and training frequency (as needed).
[/quote]

By this I assume you mean you generally increase volume and go to failure more often, post-show / during off season? How would you change training frequency?

5-3-1bbb it is then! Im gonna run madcow 5x5 for the next 3 weeks and transition into bbb.

[quote]Dblessedb wrote:
5-3-1bbb it is then! Im gonna run madcow 5x5 for the next 3 weeks and transition into bbb. [/quote]

Try Wendler’s bodybuilding template(half way down), better suited to your goals and a lot less miserable…

Yeah it’s obviously a white man’s head on a black man’s body.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]Dblessedb wrote:
5-3-1bbb it is then! Im gonna run madcow 5x5 for the next 3 weeks and transition into bbb. [/quote]

Try Wendler’s bodybuilding template(half way down), better suited to your goals and a lot less miserable…
https://www.T-Nation.com/training/blood-and-chalk-8[/quote]

thanks buddy. good stuff

[quote]craze9 wrote:

The factors I adjust post show are volume, not going to failure, and scaling back cardio and training frequency (as needed).
[/quote]

By this I assume you mean you generally increase volume and go to failure more often, post-show / during off season? How would you change training frequency?[/quote]

Post show I may typically ease back o the volume a bit. If I need a day off here and there, I take it as well. I figure the body has just been put through months of seriously grueling stress, so a little Easing off the gas pedal isn’t a bad idea In terms of avoiding injuries.

S

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[/quote]

By this I assume you mean you generally increase volume and go to failure more often, post-show / during off season? How would you change training frequency?[/quote]

Post show I may typically ease back o the volume a bit. If I need a day off here and there, I take it as well. I figure the body has just been put through months of seriously grueling stress, so a little Easing off the gas pedal isn’t a bad idea In terms of avoiding injuries.

S[/quote]

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sure thing. When I started out you would read on flex magazine about the post contest “push” in the gym to pack on muscle with the caloric rebound. Over the years we’ve learned that the body is primed to pack on FAT post contest (survival mechanism!), and it’s pretty fatigued from the lengthy balls out training and cardio.

S