T Nation

Post-Cardio Nutrition

Is there a specifc post-cardio nutrition strategy to enhance fat loss??

It depends.

If your cardio consisted of a steady state activity, then you can have a Protein + Fat meal to continue the fat burning process.

But, however, if your form of cardio is higher on the intensity scale (as in sprints), then stick with some Protein + Carbs.

All in all, just try different things and see what works best for your body.

Hope this helps!

[quote]etoainshrdlu wrote:
Is there a specifc post-cardio nutrition strategy to enhance fat loss??[/quote]

To enhance fat loss don’t eat right after cardio like you do for mass when you lift. Wait an hour or so, then have a shake with about a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

You still get some carbs to help recovery, yet you’ve given your body an extra hour or so to burn.

The protein will help preserve as much lbm as possible.

I’m curious to see any hard data or even empirical evidence to support the “post-workout burn”

sasquatch, that is incorrect. If the cardio is demanding like sprints, don’t wait. There is no point, and the logic is the same as waiting after a workout to “keep the burn”

Well I don’t know about logic, and possibly ‘the burn’ was poor wording, but I was told to wait after cardio when cutting fat to take advantage of the extra calorie burning done post workout.

You still fall–well–into the post workout max. absorption time frame by waiting an hour, even 90 minutes.

You shouldn’t be in such a catabolic state post workout that immediate calorie intake is nec.

Do you wait after weight training as long as you’re still in the “90 minute window”? What the fuck is this really? It’s not like 89 minutes is gloriously better than 91. Point is, after weights or high-intensity cardio, it is wise to consume something. It doesn’t need to be Surge. Why not just make it a meal with protein & carbs? Then you don’t even need to worry about if the exercise justifies Surge usage

If it matters to you…

As a triathlete I consume Surge after my training workouts and have for a while. I go a little different route though. I go 1/2 serving during and 1/2 serving after. I have experimented with many different approaches. But ultimately came back to this. The only difference is that I add some dextrose to kick ratio out to 4:1. Because endurance training puts a lot of stress on the body, I always lean on the side of recovery then on the side of a wee-bit more fat-loss. If you are that worried about losing the burn end your cardio with one full-out sprint… this will give you a bit more breathing room and help with glycogen loading.

These training sessions are no less then 45 minutes and usually in the area of 1-1.5 hours. If you are significantly less then that you might consider just going with 1/2 serving.

If you are eating clean I highly doubt a bit too much Surge will signifcantly reduce your “burn”. At 7% body fat it has hardly affected mine.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
Do you wait after weight training as long as you’re still in the “90 minute window”? What the fuck is this really? It’s not like 89 minutes is gloriously better than 91. Point is, after weights or high-intensity cardio, it is wise to consume something. It doesn’t need to be Surge. Why not just make it a meal with protein & carbs? Then you don’t even need to worry about if the exercise justifies Surge usage[/quote]

I agree that you should consume something, but weight/fat loss is different than weight training. It is 2 different goals so why would you treat them the same. I’m not saying this is the magic bullet for losing weight/fat. It is not. But you are not hurting yourself by waiting, and seeing as nobody can quantify ‘the burn’
then really what is the harm.

It may cause no difference, I don’t know for sure and neither do you. You fuel your muscles after a workout for growth via the stimulation. To stop the catabolic process. Why–to stop your body from using itself and its reserves as food.

Again, I’m not preaching this as Gospel. We all have different ideas and why not give it a try instead of using harsh language to prove yourself correct. No harm can come from it so I don’t feel it is bad advice I was given and in turn passed on.

You are using two different situations to validate the need for immediate nutrition.

The 90 minute window is a well established guideline for after workout maximum nutrition absorption. I didn’t make it up so I have no idea how to respond to your comment. I was simply stating that you can maximize both ctiteria–fat loss and not allowing the body to go catabolic–by waiting until the end of that window.

Peace

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
If it matters to you…

As a triathlete I consume Surge after my training workouts and have for a while. I go a little different route though. I go 1/2 serving during and 1/2 serving after. I have experimented with many different approaches. But ultimately came back to this. The only difference is that I add some dextrose to kick ratio out to 4:1. Because endurance training puts a lot of stress on the body, I always lean on the side of recovery then on the side of a wee-bit more fat-loss. If you are that worried about losing the burn end your cardio with one full-out sprint… this will give you a bit more breathing room and help with glycogen loading.

These training sessions are no less then 45 minutes and usually in the area of 1-1.5 hours. If you are significantly less then that you might consider just going with 1/2 serving.

If you are eating clean I highly doubt a bit too much Surge will signifcantly reduce your “burn”. At 7% body fat it has hardly affected mine. [/quote]

I agree with you here, but tri training is probably much more taxing than regular cardio in this case.

I also noticed that you preferred recovery over a little more fat burn. Iagree also, but you do then acknowlege that–maybe–you do lose some more fat in this time. If fat loss is your maim goal, then why not take advantage of available window.

By the way good luck in your training. I really respect your chosen fitness field. 2 tris workout at the same time as us, and it is grueling what they do to their body.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
If it matters to you…

As a triathlete I consume Surge after my training workouts and have for a while. I go a little different route though. I go 1/2 serving during and 1/2 serving after. I have experimented with many different approaches. But ultimately came back to this. The only difference is that I add some dextrose to kick ratio out to 4:1. Because endurance training puts a lot of stress on the body, I always lean on the side of recovery then on the side of a wee-bit more fat-loss. If you are that worried about losing the burn end your cardio with one full-out sprint… this will give you a bit more breathing room and help with glycogen loading.

These training sessions are no less then 45 minutes and usually in the area of 1-1.5 hours. If you are significantly less then that you might consider just going with 1/2 serving.

If you are eating clean I highly doubt a bit too much Surge will signifcantly reduce your “burn”. At 7% body fat it has hardly affected mine.

I agree with you here, but tri training is probably much more taxing than regular cardio in this case.

I also noticed that you preferred recovery over a little more fat burn. Iagree also, but you do then acknowlege that–maybe–you do lose some more fat in this time. If fat loss is your maim goal, then why not take advantage of available window.

By the way good luck in your training. I really respect your chosen fitness field. 2 tris workout at the same time as us, and it is grueling what they do to their body.[/quote]

Agreed, it all depends on your goals.

Haha. Yes, its hell… every mile you say to yourself “why the fuck am I doing this?” It is only at the moment you cross the finishline that you revert to insanity… usually with the following lines “where do I register for next year?”

I’m well out of my depth, but I could have sworn that even regular (not high intensity) cardio leaves the metabolism in a raised state for a period of time.

Once you “warm up” the body doesn’t instantly “shut down” the instant you stop exerting yourself.

sasquatch, my point is high-intensity cardio(sprints) is very taxing metabolically and on the CNS. After you workout and have your workout drink, you still get the positive benefits of the raised metabolism with fat-burning, even though you ingest a drink w/ carbohydrates. The same thing applies here. No need to wait

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
sasquatch, my point is high-intensity cardio(sprints) is very taxing metabolically and on the CNS. After you workout and have your workout drink, you still get the positive benefits of the raised metabolism with fat-burning, even though you ingest a drink w/ carbohydrates. The same thing applies here. No need to wait[/quote]

Not to belabor

Yes, I understand the physicality of HIIT. What this person is loking for is MAX. fat burn. By feeding the body, your body will now use the food you’ve just ingested instead of going to reserves, thereby thwarting further fat loss at max. rate.

Plain and simple, I agree with you on CNS recovery and nutrition. But here, for max. fat loss, my advice would be to wait. Also, as I stated, I would lower the carb ratio to 2:1 instead of 3 or 4:1.

v–not trying to argue and not trying to convince you. Simply stating my belief, along with my reasons, as to allow this individual that perspective.

OK. Firstly, when fat loss is the goal, a meal with solid food instead of a PWO drink is a good option. I prefer whole food, especially when cutting because when you’re hypocaloric it’s much more satisfying to be able to eat your food rather than drink Surge or another drink.

Sprints are usually performed on a somewhat empty stomache to avoid throwing up. If done first thing in the morning, it’s wise to have a banana&a small protein shake beforehand. However, after the sprint session, it’s necessary to have something to eat to try and limit muscle loss. Do you see what my point is? While cutting, muscle loss will occur. Waiting to eat for fat loss purposes isn’t wise. The elevated metabolism and excellent nutrient-partioning from sprinting will benefit you the most; fat isn’t even really burned during sprints anyways, so waiting an extra hour will do more harm than good. If you really wanna try to maximize fat-burning from your sprint session, walk or jog for 10-20minutes after your sprints as a cool down

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
OK. Firstly, when fat loss is the goal, a meal with solid food instead of a PWO drink is a good option. I prefer whole food, especially when cutting because when you’re hypocaloric it’s much more satisfying to be able to eat your food rather than drink Surge or another drink.

Sprints are usually performed on a somewhat empty stomache to avoid throwing up. If done first thing in the morning, it’s wise to have a banana&a small protein shake beforehand. However, after the sprint session, it’s necessary to have something to eat to try and limit muscle loss. Do you see what my point is? While cutting, muscle loss will occur. Waiting to eat for fat loss purposes isn’t wise. The elevated metabolism and excellent nutrient-partioning from sprinting will benefit you the most; fat isn’t even really burned during sprints anyways, so waiting an extra hour will do more harm than good. If you really wanna try to maximize fat-burning from your sprint session, walk or jog for 10-20minutes after your sprints as a cool down[/quote]

You guys complicate this too much.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
OK. Firstly, when fat loss is the goal, a meal with solid food instead of a PWO drink is a good option. I prefer whole food, especially when cutting because when you’re hypocaloric it’s much more satisfying to be able to eat your food rather than drink Surge or another drink.

Sprints are usually performed on a somewhat empty stomache to avoid throwing up. If done first thing in the morning, it’s wise to have a banana&a small protein shake beforehand. However, after the sprint session, it’s necessary to have something to eat to try and limit muscle loss. Do you see what my point is? While cutting, muscle loss will occur. Waiting to eat for fat loss purposes isn’t wise. The elevated metabolism and excellent nutrient-partioning from sprinting will benefit you the most; fat isn’t even really burned during sprints anyways, so waiting an extra hour will do more harm than good. If you really wanna try to maximize fat-burning from your sprint session, walk or jog for 10-20minutes after your sprints as a cool down[/quote]

It is quite obvious we disagree
Fine
Let me quickly explain that we are STRICTLY talking about fat loss here per the questioner. In everyone of your replies you bring up cutting, and muscle loss and weight lifting and othe r non-relevant factors with reguard to the original post.
My answers are based on my experience.
As stated–just to offer it to the poster to give them more info as they come to their conclusion.
Sometimes 2 people can disagree and both be right------------or wrong.
I hope we’re the former

Actually re-reading his post he asked about “enhancing fat-loss”. In which case the correct answer could arguably be HOT-ROX.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Actually re-reading his post he asked about “enhancing fat-loss”. In which case the correct answer could arguably be HOT-ROX. [/quote]

The specific question was re: post cardio nutrition
I would agree that given his diet was already under control that supplementing with HOT-ROX would be a good addition.

ps–I hear ya Kuz

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Actually re-reading his post he asked about “enhancing fat-loss”. In which case the correct answer could arguably be HOT-ROX.

The specific question was re: post cardio nutrition
I would agree that given his diet was already under control that supplementing with HOT-ROX would be a good addition.

ps–I hear ya Kuz[/quote]

I figured ya did. Painful.