Post Cardio Nutrition

I was wondering what you guys believe is the best nutrition to have after a cardio workout. I believe that you only use Surge with weights. Is something like Gatorage sufficient? Also, is there a difference in what you need, apart from the quantity of drink after doing a session of HIIT of only 20 minutes compared to, say, a 1-2 hour bike ride?

I’m in the middle of planning my food log and need to work out what to have on my “off” days from weights when I will do some cardio.

Cheers,

BG

First, let it be said that I’m no expert when it comes to cardio.

However, I usually treat post-cardio nutrition just like my post-weight-training nutrition. I look at it this way: If you were doing intervals of sprinting/jogging for 20 minutes, do you think the muscles in your legs could use some recovery? I’m sure they could. The same goes if you were riding a bike, jumping rope, etc.

Also, think of it this way. Surge gives you all the good stuff you need after a workout, mostly carbs and protein, right? Gatorade has your carbs, so if you add some protein, could that be a bad thing? For me, adding a little more protein in the day is almost always a good thing.

I agree with smallnomore. I treat post cardio the same as post lifting. Maybe I wouldn’t if it was light cardio, but I like to push myself.

Since Surge is not currently available, I am using Gatorade (powder form not premade) and a lean source of protein.

I would say Surge if you can afford it, or find it… Powdered orange Gatorade mixed with vanilla whey protein tastes just like an Orange Creamsicle. Just watch your micronutrients. I would shoot for the same ratio that is in Surge.

Stinky

I am no expert. But results speak. I have made many changes that I attribute to my recent successes in both fat loss and strength gains. (This after years of misdirected training.) One of these changes was the addition of a post cardio drink similar to my post weight training drink. I do not use Surge. When I run out of my current post workout supplement, I am going to buy some Surge and try it. So enough of the crap, here’s what I do:

lifting days:

• 2 scoops supplement direct’s high performance creatine (85 g dextrose / 10 g creatine)
  • 5 extra g creatine (it’s cheap)
  • 3 scoops (75 g) whey isolate

cardio / light lifting days:

• 1 big scoop high performance creatine (45-50g)
  • 5 g creatine (still cheap)
  • 2 scoops (50 g) whey isolate
    I highly recommend this for recovery after cardio (I actually do intervals) especially when lifting the next day. I have yet to hone the macronutrient ratios and need to do some more research here (Berardi’s stuff probably).

Hope this helps,
Bastard F*ck Guy