T Nation

Possibly 30,000 Yr Old Grains Found

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"Europeans ground down plant roots similar to potatoes to make flour, which was later whisked into dough." European roots would not be neolithic... and roots aren't grains. The author is pushing a story that is not.

You should focus on suitability of the foods in the diet. This paleo evidence stuff doesn't matter if you feel good on the foods the diet encompasses.

Lyle MacDonald published a similar bullshit story a while back.

He draws some pretty sketchy conclusions in there.

How are roots grains?

"Starch grains found on 30,000-year-old grinding stones suggest that prehistoric man may have dined on an early form of flat bread, contrary to his popular image as primarily a meat-eater."

Okay... but then...

"The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) journal on Monday, indicate that Palaeolithic Europeans ground down plant roots similar to potatoes to make flour, which was later whisked into dough."

I think we knew people ate roots...

Lyle cited the article he referenced. It wasn't a "bullshit story", it was published anthropological research that the paleo gurus brushed off and couldn't respond to with anything besides weakly dismissive arguments to the effect of "well its wrong because it doesn't fit or model." Similar to the way they responded to the mounting evidence that a great deal of evolution has occurred in the human genome during the past 10,000 years of population growth.

BBB, I believe the stones were used for grinding the starches, which doesn't provide any inference to the size of the finished bead, only to the size of the implement used to grind the flour.

Also, since were on the topic of grains and the processing and consumption of those grains by neolithic man, hunter-gatherer american indian societies commonly cut out and cooked the stomachs of large grass and grain eating herbivores like bison. Doing so resulted in a sweet meat loaf-like bread. If that doesn't qualify as processing and consuming grains, then I don't know what does.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't want to step into the emo mess that the Pro-paleo vs. Anti-Paleo fights,, sorry, debates have become in this forum, but I do want to point out a couple of things:

1) Paleo doesn't necessarily focus on no-carbs or ultra-low carbs as much as a inherent carb reduction coming from the consumption of select type of carb-containing foods (read fruits and veggies), foods which also seems to contain low amounts of inflammatory compounds commonly found in higher carb-containing foods (read grains).

2) Although human consumption of grains may have started earlier than previously thought, and as was pointed out by Bushido Bad Boy that's not what the above-mentionned discovery means at all, there's still no evidence as to how common in the diet this was, or to how common to the human species this behavior was. Meaning there's no way to know if this was common the diet of our ancestor, or even if this was common to all of our ancestor at the time this was being done, 30 000 years ago. It's entirely beliveable that only pockets of population used it before it became more widespread, and no evidence whatsoever exist as to that. However, the fact that this stone mortar is the only artifact discovered dating back this far allows us to think this was pretty new and restricted to a certain geographical areas/populations.

3) There's no conclusive evidences that I know of (but I'm far from omniscient) that goes one way or the other as to what part of our paleolitic/neolithic ancestors' diet came from grains, veggies, fruits and meats. So a lot of that debate serves only to justifie what you, me or someone else ou're nut-hugging is currently doing. Like BBB said: find out what works for you.

Re-reading myself, I think I did a pretty good job of not stepping into that paleo debate, huh? (and yes, that was a sarcasm)

I think he's sayin that the cavemenz werent natty

Yeah but they had "natty pb" so that balances it out.