Possible Torn Hamstring

Squat 500 last Sunday pretty easy how ever on the way down into the hole felt a weird pop or pull. Completed the rep easy. Finished work out with pretty much zero pain. Next day still no pain but, swollen to a extent and has a pretty good bruise on it. Not horrible maybe the size of my palm. No pain unless rubbed very hard.

Following Wednesday still no pain unless directly place pressure. Even when squatting and direct stretching its pretty pain free. Felt stiff due to swelling but quickly is worked out. Took 475 out of the hole for easy triple no wraps. PR finished with Ghr, and Abs.

Yesterday Sunday no real improvement except no pain when touching it. Still swollen and bruised honestly more so would appear but still no pain. So squat 505 for a triple no problem period. Finished workout.

Have been doing Ice and Heat all through the day, Epsom Salt Bath and Lotion through out the day, Stretching and self massage, and about 800mg of Ibuprofen. If it was torn or hell even pulled should it not be very painful atleast when squatting and stretching it? Any ideas?

[quote]Reed wrote:
Squat 500 last Sunday pretty easy how ever on the way down into the hole felt a weird pop or pull. Completed the rep easy. Finished work out with pretty much zero pain. Next day still no pain but, swollen to a extent and has a pretty good bruise on it. Not horrible maybe the size of my palm. No pain unless rubbed very hard.

Following Wednesday still no pain unless directly place pressure. Even when squatting and direct stretching its pretty pain free. Felt stiff due to swelling but quickly is worked out. Took 475 out of the hole for easy triple no wraps. PR finished with Ghr, and Abs.

Yesterday Sunday no real improvement except no pain when touching it. Still swollen and bruised honestly more so would appear but still no pain. So squat 505 for a triple no problem period. Finished workout.

Have been doing Ice and Heat all through the day, Epsom Salt Bath and Lotion through out the day, Stretching and self massage, and about 800mg of Ibuprofen. If it was torn or hell even pulled should it not be very painful atleast when squatting and stretching it? Any ideas? [/quote]

A sTrain is damage to the muscle, tendon, or combination (tendons connect muscle to bone).

A sPrain is damage to the ligament or joint capsule.

You most likely have a strain, a sprain, or a combination. I’d say grade 2 strain but you did not specify the exact location so this is an educated guess on my part.

To me, this is the smoking gun:

[quote]Reed wrote:
…felt a weird pop or pull…swollen to a extent and has a pretty good bruise on it. Not horrible maybe the size of my palm.[/quote]

As for why there’s no noticeable pain, there are several possible explanations including - but not limited to: high pain tolerance; the ability of the non-injured muscles to efficiently take up the slack (I’ve noticed this ‘skill’ in advanced lifters); epsom salt bath (there’s some literature that suggests an analgesic effect); and let’s not forget the 800mg of ibuprofen.

A combination of the above factors, in addition to other known or unknown variables (hey, the only information I have to go on is what you’ve listed), could explain the lack of noticeable discomfort.

My best advice is to presume a worst-case scenario, which, in your case is a strain and/or sprain.

Now either confirm or refute it with an in person exam by a qualified individual. Once you know exactly what you’re dealing with, you can be confident in your next course of action.

Also, the use of NSAIDs and hitting the weights may not be a good idea in your case.

Uh you sure you aren’t trying to be some tough guy when you say that it doesn’t hurt? Just asking mate.

And yes you are correct that it should hurt, unless you have nerve damage as well. Feel the skin in a circle about 3 inches of radius away from the spot you’re talking about. If it feels dead or even less sensitive, then there is a problem. Press on the point gently, and contract the muscle gently, do you feel it contract as much as you other hammy? If not you have a nerve issue.

Are you sure that you didn’t impact the spot or rub it , like say with knee wraps that rubbed the wrong way?

I have no idea what kibd of doctor could diagnose a hammy tear, sorry

Sorry I have never had a injury like this so was not exactly sure what info. As for the location it is on the inside of my hamstring like inside of my leg as opposed to say directly below the knee just slightly above mid thigh. I will try to get a pic asap.

As for the pain I swear to you I am not just trying to be a tough guy it honestly does not hurt to stretch it or squat, Sumo Deadlift, or GHR. The only time it hurts is when I directly take my hand and press the area and then rub it out. How ever as the days have gone by that does not hurt near as bad a most of the swelling has gone down. As for the knee wraps compacting I was not wearing them. You can see the video of every Squat session I have done including the exact rep with 530 belt only that caused the pop. I didn’t even have my rehband sleeves on.

Luckily I feel no numbness and when I press into the spot the hamstrings appears to best of my knowledge to fire just as my right leg does .

Thank you for your help in this and such a fast answers in getting back to me. I will be Benching today and then will be taking completely off all lower body movements for at least the week. I had a deload week coming up so I just moved it ahead little. Thank you both again

[quote]Reed wrote:
530 with a super wide like almost fell over backwards after unracking wide. Either way 30lbs PR All Time Unwrapped Squat not even knee sleeves.

This was the set that caused the pop in left hamstring.

Def grade 2 muscle strain. Question is what muscle.

If your hamstring was torn you wouldnt be able to walk. You said its inside hamstring, mid thigh? I would guess an adductor (magnus) or gracilis, def have it checked out by a sport med doc or PT.