Possible to Get 2g per lb of Protein a Day Under £5?

Any Ideas of how I can get 334g of protein in a day if I’m 167lb that’s 2g per lb, I am starting DoggCrapp soon because I feel like I should put some size on after doing countless Powerlifting plans, I’m trying to get that amount for around £5 a day for when I start as what I’ve heard is it is very high intensity, the article reccomends 2g/lb of bodyweight any ideas how I can get cheap protein in

I could drink a gallon of milk a day but my father and grandad both have diabeties so that wouldn’t be a good idea given that’s 200g sugar, 50g a day should be fine.

Also Eggs if I were to have over 6 I’d have to have half after waking and half before sleeping so I don’t get “eggbound” lol.

Depends on price of food where you live. Wholesale stores are the cheapest place for me to get food. Ground beef and pork under $3 per pound. Chicken breast for $2 per pound.

There used to be a salvage store nearby, but they got closed for health and safety reasons I guess. If you’ got one in your area it may be worth checking out. I once found a 64 oz can of expired pork gravy for $2. Unpackaged and unlabeled meat sticks in bulk bins were also a great value.

Good luck!

1 Like

2 Likes

I already read the articles but science always contradicts itself, DoggCrapp article says 2g/lb minimum so I was just gonna do that.

1 Like

Good luck, man. Seems nuts to me, but let us know how it works out.

I don’t see how you can get 334g of protein for less than $8 USD/day.

1 Like

You’re right mate I found a cheap variation of Eggs, Cottage Cheese and Chicken but I doubt I could get ot for less than I said posted too soon I’ll give it a go may aswell it should work for me anyways I will keep some laxatives on hand.

1 Like

I didn’t realize a pound of chicken breast had so much protein

Maybe it’s doable. I donno.

Not sure what the difference is…

1 Like

Haha doesn’t add up lol but from a local shop I can buy breaded chicken that has 100g of protein in the whole pack and 2200 cals for £2.

1 Like

That’s not bad.

Asda (owned by Wallmart) do protein powders.
Internet offers? Unflavoured are cheaper.
Low end stores like Farmfoods or Iceland can have some meats pretty cheap
Supermarkets (Morissons especially) sell liver cheap not sure what price local butchers do for liver. But a local butcher may well do you a good deal if your buying quite a lot in one go (mince / chicken / sausage / steak ) also if you’re in a big city you can often find things like turkey drumsticks or chicken thighs cheap too.

2 Likes
  1. Tesco diced chicken breast is £3 for 450g (108g total protein).
  2. They also do 18 eggs for £1.5 (106g total protein).
  3. Finally, you can get their Everyday Value Cooked Ham at £0.60 for 125g (22g total protein).

It’s “only” 226g and it’s 10p over budget, but at your weight it’s probably still around 80g more protein than you need anyway.

I’d probably recommend stretching the budget by £1 a day to buy some frozen vegetables as well…

1 Like

Look out for their own Hot and Spicy Chicken Steaks, you will not be dissapointed £2for over 2,200 cals per pack!, Found my answer now guys but thanks for the help and I didn’t think there were so many fellow Brits here.

1 Like

Liver would be a superfood if you can eat it.

No idea what food prices look like in your area, but generally your best bet is going to be cheap cuts of meat (consider organ meats and bone in chicken and pork).

Chicken leg quarters or whole chickens can probably get you to your protein goal under your cost target. Also chicken gizzards, hearts, or livers. Beef liver costs a bit more, but you can probably make it. Beef kidney is also an option.

Another option is pork shoulder. Also, pork tenderloin. I see pork tenderloin go on sale for a little over $1/lb and it’s a great value.

One problem with bone in meats with skin is just that it ends up being impossible to know exactly how much you ate since the amount of skin and bone vs meat will vary. But since the meat is generally cheap enough to exceed your target, you can probably be sure to hit it. You just won’t know how much you went over.

I don’t, however, know what food prices are where you live. I believe food is more expensive in Europe.

1 Like

Wanted to mention that the main problem with sugar in foods is that you can get too much fructose. “Sugar” usually means fructose and glucose bonded together or in roughly equal amounts. The glucose is metabolically no different that starch. It CAN spike insulin but so can fast starches like white rice anyway.

MILK though has no fructose. It is half glucose and half galactose, so you are not at risk of frucosema or fatty liver disease which can result from excess fructose beyond the liver’s ability to turn into glucose. Galactose can get turned into glucose in the gut, or in other cells. So milk sugar is fundamentally different than sucrose sugar where we know that excess leads to fatty liver disease. Also, if you want to negate the lactose, you can have milk and lactaid. Also, there is greek yogurt that is much lower in sugar for the same amount of protein as milk. Same for cottage cheese, and ricotta.

1 Like

So you can get dry curd cottage cheese (almost 100% protein) for a yield of 72 grams of protein in a $2.00 bag. That’s 311 g for 5 pound sterling. Might be able to get a better deal in bulk.

1 Like