T Nation

Possible Sumo DL Progress

This is the basically the same thing as my previous thread regarding the bench press, only with the Sumo DL. I can Sumo 315ish (possibly 10 lbs less) for three reps as a 3 RM. Given that it is one of my focus lifts and I have a pretty good build for the lift, what are some realistic goals for November?

Why are you asking everyone what to expect from yourself? What has your progress been in the past, and how fast were you able to move up the weight? Is there any reason you aren't trying to gain more weight?

My advice to you is this: pick a weight that you want to hit a few months from now. If you're seeing within a few weeks that it isn't attainable, set a new weight that is attainable. Don't rely on other people to tell you how much progress you can make in seven months. This goes not only for pulling, but for benching and any other lifts you want to make progress in.

I find setting mid-term (as opposed to short-term or long-term) goals to be very helpful. It gives you something to push for every week.

First of all, either you can do it for 3 reps, or you can't. Secondly, we would need a huge amount of information about you and your training to make any worthwhile guess as to how much you could add to this lift.

Also, don't let us tell you how much stronger you can get. You're the only one who decides that.

Bear

405!

Good idea. I will try that.

I know that. But at the same time, I don't want to set an unrealistic expectation for myself and end up dissapointed.

Set something you can blow away, "I'll be deadlifting 400 by the end of the year."

It's doable if you don't slack off, and when you blast by it you'll feel even better.

You could even aim lower, 350ish, but you don't want something too easy.

Why? Because you'll probably just conclude it was unrealistic, have a cry, learn from it and move on?

When I first started deadlifting I could do 315. I added 5-10 pounds each week for the first 8-9 weeks until I hit 385. I wasn't devoted at the time, but I'm sure I could have gotten to 405 that way within another month or so.

I think you should pick a number that is somewhat realistic. But if the number you pick is too low i think you are selling yourself short. Pick something that big that you yourself think you could hit, but if you tell other people they will say no way. At my push-pull meet in January i pulled 500 conventional at 172, never having deadlift sumo. So i made it my goal to get 600 by april, just 3 months later. I switched to sumo and last week i pulled 545 in the gym on a bad day. While i may not get 600, my third attempt will be 585 and if i dont get it i gurantee i'll make a good run at it. And hell if i get my second attempt at 560 and it feels easy, i may damn well jump to 600 and give it a run. But if i woulda set my sights on 550 i think i woulda sold myself short. I pretty much gurantte i'll pull 560 and i'm pretty sure i can get 585 also but i wont gurantee it :). My point is dont sell yourself short and set your sights to low. Nobody thought i would have improved my deadlift 85-100 lbs in 3 months, and drug free at that.

Try not thinking that far in advance. Just your next ME day where you plan to pull say, "I'm going to pull 325"...

Train your weaknesses and work on your next goal for a couple weeks, test yourself again and pull another 5-10lb PR....Having an ultimate goal is fine! 3x BW DL or whatever you set.

But don't get too caught up in that. Fight for your next pound, pound and half, 2 pounds... you add those up after a while and you'll be pulling 500.

Babysteps.

Sumo is very technique intensive. I've squatted 700 in the gym (kind of high- probably wouldn't have passed) and I've pull conventional- but when I tried sumo last time, I couldn't get 495. I don't pull sumo and I don't know sumo pulling. Two guys I train with- also 700 lb squatters- pull sumo and both are creeping up on 700 lb pulls.

They are both short guys with good sumo proportions. But more importantly, they are both master technicians. The message here is that, technique is very important. Maximizing technique will take you very far, very quickly relative to increases in brute strength.