Possible Shoulder Problem

Hi all,
I recently started lifting some weights to put on some muscle. For the past 3 weeks I’ve been on a split program training 4 times a week.

2 days ago when I was doing my shoulder training routine I encountered a little problem. I went through the lateral raises both regular and front, but when I got to the bent-over lateral raises I got a stinging feeling in my rear/posterior deltoid muscle.

At least that’s the muscle I think I got some pains in, since I’m not so experienced that I can tell exactly if it was that muscle or not. The pain didn’t occur when I made the ordinary side raises nor at the front ones, only this one.

Nevertheless I stopped immediately so I didn’t do too much harm and proceeded with some military presses, where I didn’t have too much troubles either. I’m 100% sure it wasn’t due to sore muscles, but what could it be then?

Yesterday I had my breast/triceps day, did incline benchpress, flat bench with dumbbells (since I read here it’s better that way), regular flys and the upright sitting breast machine. I felt like the deltoids was a little tense, even though that could be from the training the day before, so I didn’t want to go full out.

It concerns me a little since I’ve read so many times in here to “take care of those shoulders!” What to do now? Wait and see what happens next time I get to my shoulder day or give it an extra day or two of rest, or what do you suggest?

Check your form using lighter weights then gradually increase. Make sure you have adequate nutrition ie protein for you muscles to heal. You could be over training that area. I don’t like to do rear delts the day after back.

If an exercise causes pain I don’t do it. If I can work around it I do. Let injuries heal or else they get worse and your training will suffer more. Good luck.

I would switch to either a full body or an upper/lower split plan. I used to have a lot of problems with my rotator cuff, and once I stopped doing bodypart splits it got a whole lot better.

Focus on finding a balanced full body or upper/lower split routine on this site, and consider supplementing with some prehab work for your shoulders. Check out EC’s “Rotator Cuff Conundrum” article and the recent Gentilecore & Smith “Computer Guy” articles- you’ll find some good ideas for overall shoulder health.

Ok thanks for the reply guys!

The reason for me not to do full body workouts is the time it takes. I find it more motivating to go and bust my ass off for 45 min instead of doing a full body routine of 2 hours. But I guess it’s better to go on with a full body workout for the first period of time so my body gets used to the pressure.

Concerning my rehab and protein intake I believe it’s fairly good as it is. I try to get at least 8h of sleep and a standard day would look something like this:

Breakfast - Oats, 1 banana and 2-3 oz of raisins.
Before lunch - Some sort of fruit
Lunch - Cold pasta salad, or regular salad, with some tuna, eggs and olives in it.
Pre workout - 1-2 bananas
After workout - 4oz of raisins followed by a protein shake (2oz w. half a liter of water)
Dinner - A pasta or chicken dish or maybe just some black bread with tuna/chicken/other lean meat if I don’t get the time to make a full warm meal.
Depending on when I go to bed, perhaps an orange or another banana.

So I think I got the food fairly ok sorted out compared to the short amount of time I’ve been lifting (3 weeks). I’ll try to lift a little lighter the next few sessions and maybe do some full body workouts and then some cardio on the off days and then return in a week or two and let you know how the shoulder is doing. Thanks again!

You need more protein. I don’t know if are you male or female (Looking at your diet I’m guessing female no offense if your a dude) but either way. Eat some eggs in the morning. I eat 10 to 12, maybe you should have six or a protein shake or both. Eat protein with your before lunch meal. I’d eat more protein at lunch before your workout. You could eat more post work out. Eat the before bed banana or orange here.

Ditch the banana before bed and eat some protein instead, eggs, some milk or a protein shake, or all three. Your lifts will go up and your muscles will get in better shape. Check out Gina Aliotti’s web site. She is a great example of what proper diet and training can achieve plus you can watch her on the fit show and see my old gym.

A full body workout should not take you 2 hours in the gym. Look up some of Waterbury’s articles for a good place to start, and ask questions if you have more! :slight_smile:

I’m a guy, guess I’m simply not used to eat the needed amount of protein in order to get everything covered when it comes to gaining. I’m on my way to work but I’ll check your recommendations out later!

Thanks Hagar for your complement!! I agree, if female, 6 egg whites in the a.m. is perfect, (no shake with though) , pre and post workout it is smart to increase protein. Definitely ditch the banana before bed, if you eat it do it post workout for your simple sugars, have the shake or egg whites.

I am not a big fan of milk but if you are “off season” and using low or non fat it isn’t bad to have it in moderation. Low or non fat cottage cheese is another idea becuase it is a slow digesting protein. Thanks for the plug to my site. =)

-Gina Aliotti
www.ginaaliotti.com

[quote]Hagar wrote:
You need more protein. I don’t know if are you male or female (Looking at your diet I’m guessing female no offense if your a dude) but either way. Eat some eggs in the morning. I eat 10 to 12, maybe you should have six or a protein shake or both. Eat protein with your before lunch meal. I’d eat more protein at lunch before your workout. You could eat more post work out. Eat the before bed banana or orange here.

Ditch the banana before bed and eat some protein instead, eggs, some milk or a protein shake, or all three. Your lifts will go up and your muscles will get in better shape. Check out Gina Aliotti’s web site. She is a great example of what proper diet and training can achieve plus you can watch her on the fit show and see my old gym. [/quote]

[quote]Alessio wrote:
I’m a guy, guess I’m simply not used to eat the needed amount of protein in order to get everything covered when it comes to gaining. I’m on my way to work but I’ll check your recommendations out later![/quote]

You need to learn more about nutrition if you want results look around this site and others. You should be taking in protein every meal at least 6 times a day more is better. Get 1 to 2 grams per lb of lean body weight a day I like 2g. This is the biggest reason people get no results.

Sorry I though you were a girl but your diet looked like something outa Jenny Craig

[quote]Gina Aliotti wrote:
Thanks Hagar for your complement!! I agree, if female, 6 egg whites in the a.m. is perfect, (no shake with though) , pre and post workout it is smart to increase protein. Definitely ditch the banana before bed, if you eat it do it post workout for your simple sugars, have the shake or egg whites.

I am not a big fan of milk but if you are “off season” and using low or non fat it isn’t bad to have it in moderation. Low or non fat cottage cheese is another idea becuase it is a slow digesting protein. Thanks for the plug to my site. =)

-Gina Aliotti
www.ginaaliotti.com

Your welcome Gina, Thanks for drooping in. I worked out at Worlds in P.B. for a couple of years. Great gym I really miss it. Its good to see that there’s still some serious people training there.

[/quote]