T Nation

Possible Growth Stunting

I was 5 foot 8inches when I started and now im 6 foot 1 1/2 inches. Lifting heavy wont cause you to not grow.

[quote]Contach wrote:
Interesting that you like to consistently bash rat studies. Much of today’s research comes from rats. We CAN learn things from our rodent friends. It doesn’t discredit the study just to say that it was done in rats.

There should be a distinction made between internal and external validity. Internal validity is the methodology of the study and the conclusions it draws. External validity is how it relates to (usually) us, the target population.

The conclusions it made: rats running on treadmills led to decreased bone density or whatever is a matter of internal validity, and this is irrelevant to us. Thus, the study has good internal validity.

The external validity is its applicability to us. Yes, you are correct, they were rats we are humans. So maybe not very high external validity. But, we can still take their conclusion and LEARN.

What we learn from this study is the following: STUDIES SIMILAR TO THIS ONE SHOULD BE DONE IN HUMANS BECAUSE THIS ONE IN RATS SUGGESTS ITS A POSSIBILITY. So, basically, more research needs to be done.

Now, you show us studies SUGGESTING running does not cause shrinkage. [/quote]

Like typing, eh? Yep, the study may have high internal validity (and it may not, but I don’t feel like reading through it). Then again, if the study looked at rats on a running wheel, and the authors attempt to generalize to exercise in general, the study loses face validity.

The only thing we can learn from this study is the effect of running on bone length in rodents, and this is only if the study was conducted properly. Since we are trying to generalize to a different form of exercise in a different species, this study is not helpful.

I’m glad you’re trying to apply what you’re learning in your classes, and you seem to be a little excited by it, but you’ve got a long way to go before you can act this confident.

If the study attempted to make generalizability claims, even to rodents with other forms of exercises, I would give them r & r if I were a reviewer.

[quote]Contach wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Contach wrote:
Phill wrote:
lifting while young etc may actually benefit growth, it forces the bones to adapt to the load get thicker store more calcium etc. May aid growth and goes a long way to helping ward off bone disorders late in life

Phill

it may also not aid bone growth but instead have compressive affects on your spine. did you know that you are a few fractions (i forget the exact number) of an inch smaller by the end of the day because you have been upright? then when you wake up you are the tallest you will ever be for the rest of the day.

Gee, the fact that you do that every single night and end up relatively right back where you started aside from reaching middle to old age where you actually do become shorter, why would you imply that lifting weights permanently causes spine compression? It doesn’t. Phil is right.

I see where you are getting at, and its a good point, but homeostasis (if you can call this that) has its limits.

14 hours of being upright (holding your upper body up), and 10 hours of rest (holding no weight) does put you back where you started.

Now, I wonder if you add 100,… 200,… 300 lbs on your back, the fact that the previous example has shown that your spine can compress and decompress should alarm you into thinking that just MAYBE if there is too much stimulus invoking compression, there won’t be enough rest time to decompress.

Time and time again it has been shown that too much of anything is bad. If height is this important to the OP he should atleast take it easy on the weight. People and research have been wrong before, I don’t think its safe for you or anyone to be advising someone on such an important matter. You don’t want to become comparable to the people in the 90’s who suggested soy being the miracle food.

It just bothers me with the confidence that you portray in your opinions/posts. Nothing is ever this straight forward and I am worried for people (who much like you attest to) follow some people’s (read: T-Nation Authors’) advice word-for-word without the ability to question. You have gained a certain amount of respect here and others may fall to trust yours, just like you warned them about trusting others. [/quote]

you may be one of the most idiotic people i have ever had the displeasure to come into contact with.

First of all, the rat study involved mice running FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME, how does that have anything to do with resistance/weight lifting training.

Second, do you realize how little of an amount of time that a load is on a person’s back when they are doing a thing like squatting. If they are lifting maximally it will be low reps, ten seconds tops per set not many sets b/c lifting maximally tires you out, did you think about that.

Third, Its not like people are doing this every single day, i have never heard of a workout program where a person maxes out multiple times per like a week for example. People usually max out after a periodization cycle or something, not every workout day. and even ppl who do tbt wont be squatting more than like three times a week or so anyway.

Fourth of all, what percentage of people actually lift enough weight to even pose a danger to themselves at all. A guy with a 300 pound max squat is putting significantly less stress on his body, than someone who say squats 600+. I’m willing to bet not even 50% of T-Nation squats 600+, let alone the regular population, so why give everyone this bullshit.

Fifth of all,…well…your wrong.

I would like to point out that if you are worried at all about stunting your growth, then it would be a good idea to stop playing sports, jumping, gymnastics, or anything else.

The forces around the joints and on the muscles involved in sporting activites are several fold higher than those involved in weight lifting because of acceleration and the explosive nature of nearly all sports, and of course, young people going through puberty are encouraged to play sports.

Also, you are 21. You are done growing. Serious growth stops after 18, with the vast statistical majority stopping vertical growth altogether between the ages of 18-20. You have no worries.

[quote]Contach wrote:
fine.
irishpowerhouse wrote:
simply put… there is not one bit of evidence to show lifting weights stops growth of bones etc!

so the absence of evidence is evidence suddenly? this makes no sense.

irishpowerhouse wrote: think about it, how could it really?
if you’re talking about evidence then um…, I could design an experiment to see if it does or doesn’t. What is your point here?
and if you’re talking about bone compression, then how does ‘thinking about it’ help you. Do you have some kind of meditation practices that you could teach us all? Maybe we too can one day pop nonsensical one-liners like these.

irishpowerhouse wrote: This seems to always be told to people in their teens and they usually believe it…

okay… so its a rumour. but some rumours are true. For example: “brush your teeth before you go to bed or your teeth will rot” remember than one from your wee early days?

irishpowerhouse wrote: Well i started off when i was 13 doing weoghts and i was around 5ft 7… and im 18 now and 6ft 1 so it didnt affect me.

okay, now im just laughing AT you. so now tell me this. how do u know your POTENTIAL wasnt 7ft 1? How does this prove ANYTHING. So you grew half a foot, doesn’t mean anything to us. And don’t even say “my parents are both 5’8 so it goes to figure blah blah blah”: genetics only accounts for so much variance in height.

irishpowerhouse wrote: Besides with your age you have finished growing anyway so there is no reason to worry!

this may be true. epiphyseal plates on AVERAGE close at around the age of 19 in men.

like a 2 cent whore.

[/quote]

Go do something to take your mind off this man, i think you are looking too much into what im saying here. I was only trying to help the guy out and say that weight training doesnt stunt growth. If you dont like what i said or disagree then make a valid point and move on but dont be a jerk

I’ve found that heavy lifting INCREASES growth in young people. Maybe not so much in height, but in width it sure does.

Now someone try and explain how in the hell you can increase growth of your body while decreasing growth in your height?

Growth hormone is growth hormone.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I would like to point out that if you are worried at all about stunting your growth, then it would be a good idea to stop playing sports, jumping, gymnastics, or anything else.

The forces around the joints and on the muscles involved in sporting activites are several fold higher than those involved in weight lifting because of acceleration and the explosive nature of nearly all sports, and of course, young people going through puberty are encouraged to play sports.[/quote]

Excellent point.

The amount of force impacting the spine generated from landing after a jump is far greater than the force generated from a max effort squat.

No one ever warns kids not to jump or they’ll stunt their growth.

i know what… let’s live in a bubble where no one is allowed to come near and hover in the middle of the bubble so as to not aggrivate any potential ass growth!!

Then we get fat, unhealthy… wow because thats less of a worry than ‘stunting bone growth’

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]John Smith wrote:
I’ve found that heavy lifting INCREASES growth in young people. Maybe not so much in height, but in width it sure does.

Now someone try and explain how in the hell you can increase growth of your body while decreasing growth in your height?

Growth hormone is growth hormone.[/quote]

Its growth stunting as in stoping growth. You could hurt your back so you cant grow. but that dosent stop you from adding muscle.

However I dont think lifting stops growth.