T Nation

Possible Client, Need Help

I have a potential client for my new personal training biz in home. but my problem is that I don’t have my certification quite yet. what should I do just train her and fake it till this june when I get the certification or say no. I need the money though dam it. shit

If you’re counting on a personal training cert to teach you how to train anyone your clients are in for a bad time.

Are you willing to put your best effort in, does she know, does she care?

In that order.

I have already trained someone and basically turned them into a beast. so I don’t need a certification to train. I know they are bullshit. but I don’t have one till I take the course in june and I need to make money. im just thinking about faking it till I make it and training them because I need money. I know enough about diet to get lean without even working out so im no nube

Just let her know that you will be getting your certificate in June, but you are prepared now and have the knowledge to help her reach her goals safely and efficiently if she wants to start. If you lied and said you already have your certificate to land her as a client then that’s fucked up

You don’t need a cert for someone to pay you to train them. You can’t, however, lie and say you have one just to say you are a certified trainer (ethically speaking).

Tell her you’ll also be becoming a gyno next year.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Tell her you’ll also be becoming a gyno next year.[/quote]
Playa’ level: Pimpoligist. Play on playa.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Just let her know that you will be getting your certificate in June, but you are prepared now and have the knowledge to help her reach her goals safely and efficiently if she wants to start. If you lied and said you already have your certificate to land her as a client then that’s fucked up[/quote]

This

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Just let her know that you will be getting your certificate in June, but you are prepared now and have the knowledge to help her reach her goals safely and efficiently if she wants to start. If you lied and said you already have your certificate to land her as a client then that’s fucked up[/quote]

This[/quote]

x2.

If she likes you and wants you to train her, the actual presence of the certificate will not matter. The lying, however, is a breach of professional ethics, and (in the wacky, lawsuit-crazed world we live in) could get you into trouble if, heaven forbid, she is injured under your supervision and then finds out you were training her without a professional credential that you claimed you had.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Just let her know that you will be getting your certificate in June, but you are prepared now and have the knowledge to help her reach her goals safely and efficiently if she wants to start. If you lied and said you already have your certificate to land her as a client then that’s fucked up[/quote]

This[/quote]

x2.

If she likes you and wants you to train her, the actual presence of the certificate will not matter. The lying, however, is a breach of professional ethics, and (in the wacky, lawsuit-crazed world we live in) could get you into trouble if, heaven forbid, she is injured under your supervision and then finds out you were training her without a professional credential that you claimed you had.[/quote]

x3

Be honest and manage expectations. Also be cautious of anything you put in writing.

[quote]Arthritisboy wrote:
I have already trained someone and basically turned them into a beast. so I don’t need a certification to train. I know they are bullshit. but I don’t have one till I take the course in june and I need to make money. im just thinking about faking it till I make it and training them because I need money. I know enough about diet to get lean without even working out so im no nube[/quote]

Let me get this right…you trained one other person? So based on a sample size of two (this other person and yourself), you think you’re ready for this?

I agree that a cert - regardless of where you got it - does little more than show one’s ability to absorb information and pass a test.

At the same time, there are plenty of dilettantes who think they know what’s going on just because they’ve read their share of articles and journals. I recently had some fun punking this type of a moron in BSL (he was an extreme case).

You probably have a decent physique and put up some decent numbers. You’re also probably fairly charismatic. These are important factors in attracting clients. However, keep in mind that you have to get them results AND keep them injury free in the process. And you have to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds.

I’m not aware of anyone without a valid cert to obtain liability insurance in the U.S. and I don’t see how things are much different in Scotland (if it is, let me know).

I’m describing, obviously, a worst-case scenario. But if you end up in court, and you have no documentation that proves you have attained even the minimum of standards AND you have no insurance…then your life can get very ugly very fast. This is especially true if you’ve done anything to deceive your clients (i.e. the cert).

Of course, you can have your future clients sign a waiver stating that they understand: 1) you’re not certified by any recognized organization; 2) you have no CPR/AED training; 3) they’ve disclose any and all relevant information and they further understand that there are risks to any physical training.

That waiver has to be damn near unassailable in court.

In order for your future clients to even consider signing such a document, they will, of course, know that you don’t have a cert and insurance.

So the question is, do you want to play hide and seek with the truth for what can potentially be severe consequences…?

[quote]csulli wrote:
If you’re counting on a personal training cert to teach you how to train anyone your clients are in for a bad time.[/quote]

This