Possible Blood Sugar Problem?

I know its hard to guess what is going on, and without a glucometer its a real long shot.

Here is the situation. I wake up after 8 hours of sleep I eat within the first 30 minutes usually between 8-8:15. I have 4 whole eggs, 1 peice of bacon, 1 slice of toast, and three packets of instant oatmeal. Within 1 hour and 30 minutes of eating I feel dead, weak, flat, I want to go to sleep, just really exhausted. So I am guessing this is blood sugar related.

Maybe there is too high of a insulin spike and I am going hypo in a hour and a half? I thought that oatmeal had a low GI and did give off that much of a insulin response?

I have been doing this for the past week and it happens everytime.

By the way if it helps I am a ectomorph some people suggest we are more insulin resistant.

[quote]chainsaw1 wrote:
I know its hard to guess what is going on, and without a glucometer its a real long shot.

Here is the situation. I wake up after 8 hours of sleep I eat within the first 30 minutes usually between 8-8:15. I have 4 whole eggs, 1 peice of bacon, 1 slice of toast, and three packets of instant oatmeal. Within 1 hour and 30 minutes of eating I feel dead, weak, flat, I want to go to sleep, just really exhausted. So I am guessing this is blood sugar related.

Maybe there is too high of a insulin spike and I am going hypo in a hour and a half? I thought that oatmeal had a low GI and did give off that much of a insulin response?

By the way if it helps I am a ectomorph some people suggest we are more insulin resistant.[/quote]

Go to the pharmacy and get a glucometer, they give em away like theyre candy… But youll prob have to buy a pack of test strips for a free one

[quote]chainsaw1 wrote:

By the way if it helps I am a ectomorph some people suggest we are more insulin resistant.[/quote]

You are insulin resistant (google ‘metabolic syndrome’). You need something like the South Beach Diet, with its 2 week plan at the beginning to end the IR.

Yes, you are spiking carbs and it shows. No more carbs except veggies. No fruit, potatoes, pasta, juice, rice, for at least 2 weeks, then add back slowly.

For breakfast, try blending 4 raw organic and WASHED eggs into a protein drink with Benefiber, a cup of full-fat cottage cheese, whole milk, and two scoops of Low Carb Metabolic Drive. Take a great multi like Source of Life. The rest of the day follow South Beach.

I’d also bet you have low testosterone. Get a blood draw. Read the over 35 forum for more on that.

Luck!

Instant oatmeal is not low GI by any stretch of the imagination. It’s highly processed, and if it’s flavored, it’s full of sugar. Throw in some high GI white bread toast and your insulin is bound to spike despite the moderating effect of any protein.

If you want toast, use Ezekial bread, if you can afford it. If you want oatmeal, at the very least use slow cook oats. Add your own fresh fruit. Good heavens! It only takes 5 minutes for slow cook oats. It’ll take that long to prepare your eggs.

[quote]yorik wrote:
Instant oatmeal is not low GI by any stretch of the imagination. It’s highly processed, and if it’s flavored, it’s full of sugar. Throw in some high GI white bread toast and your insulin is bound to spike despite the moderating effect of any protein.

If you want toast, use Ezekial bread, if you can afford it. If you want oatmeal, at the very least use slow cook oats. Add your own fresh fruit. Good heavens! It only takes 5 minutes for slow cook oats. It’ll take that long to prepare your eggs.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. There’s no need to immediately assume you’re insulin resistant or to go an get a serum glucose test as the others suggested. Like this gentleman suggested, your packaged oatmeal is garbage (i.e., instant oats have had their husks removed; thus, the outer shell of the oat is no longer present in what you’re eating and all that remains is the starch and small amounts of fiber). Instead, purchase Steel Cut Oats (or similar). To speed up the cooking process, mix your desired serving w/ water and let it sit in your fridge overnight. By the time you get up in the morning, it’ll take you about 5 minutes to microwave. To speed up everything, instead of using water, combine your eggs and rolled oats, and let that concotion sit in fridge overnight. Mix w/ a fork in the morning (I like to add chopped walnuts to mine) and microwave on high for about 2.5 minutes. Mix again and finish heating for another 2-2.5 minutes. You have a high protein, healthy oat breakfast. P.S. Drop the bacon; poor choice of meat and a rotten source of quality fatty acids. - c

The main reason I take oatmeal in the morning is I am ectomorphic and I could use the extra calories for energy. But that is working, I have read about the Glycemic Load and that even thought it could be a low GI food too much of it can still have the same effect of a high GI food.

I know the bacon is garbage so is the white toast I eat with my eggs. But I find cooked eggs disgusting and I use bacon in toast to masked the taste. Good Lord are eggs disgusting, of course I have been eating them my whole life. I was using them raw for years but I read that you don’t absorb the protein from them in a raw state.

Okay, I went to the DR. he is a douche bag, he told me that they hardly ever run a glucose tolerence test. He took some blood but I don’t know what that is going to show him. He gave me a glucometer, and today I ran a test.

First thing in the morning (so fasting) I tested my blood sugar, it was 76. I then ate, 4 eggs, 1 slice of bacon, 3 packets of oatmeal, 1 slice of toast. It was 80g of carbs.

I has been an hour after the start of my meal and I tested my blood sugar and it said 94. I will test again in another hour.

However doesn’t this number seem kind of low for that amount of carbs?

Blood Sugar 2 hours after start of first meal, 86. So everything seems fine?

[quote]chainsaw1 wrote:
Blood Sugar 2 hours after start of first meal, 86. So everything seems fine?[/quote]

86 is fine. how do you feel now? are you tired?

[quote]duddy wrote:
chainsaw1 wrote:
Blood Sugar 2 hours after start of first meal, 86. So everything seems fine?

86 is fine. how do you feel now? are you tired?[/quote]

I feel fine, I am just going to stay with the same foods I always eat and when I feel tired I will check my blood sugar.

My question now is what about bodybuilding? I am an ecto so I need a good amount of calories, and even though I choose low GI carbs enough of them will raise the GI Load and that will require just as high as insulin response as a smaller portion high GI carb.