T Nation

Possibility of Terror at CERN

My co-workers and I were discussing this after work yesterday and the question came about:

“What was his purpose there as an Al Qaeda operative?”

The very typical response from three of my co-workers (nightclub security) was “He was going to attempt to blow up Europe.”

To which I replied "WHAT? No… He was attempting to thwart the efforts of science to create a miniature big bang; the theorized beginning of all life in the universe (not Allah), in order to analyze the evidence (that I now know is the Higgs particle).

The argument went on to conclude that his objective was to create a black hole and destroy the entire earth and according to my co-workers this is somehow acceptable under the pretenses of Islamic martyrdom.

-The scientists did not have access to anything that could be used for terror.
-The LHC doesn’t support any military research purposes.
-There is substantial evidence to the claim that the LHC cannot and will not create a black hole large enough to destroy the earth.
-They were scientists before they were suspected Al Qaeda operatives; their ties still are not known.

Thoughts?

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Thoughts?
[/quote]

More proof positive that Obama is set on destroying not just our country, but probably the entire world. I’m not sure how, but there has to be a link in there somewhere.

Other than that, sounds like mostly a non-story.

Al-Qaeda operatives in Western countries generally need jobs to support themselves.

It also might have been thought by a cave-dwelling leader that knowledge would be picked up relevant to making a nuclear bomb: that however would have been a mistaken thought.

It also might be the case that there was a thought that he might gain access to radioactive material for a dirty bomb. Depending on his job, I don’t know if that was realistic or not (if he is a theoretical physicist it seems unlikely; if experimental, I suppose it might be possible.)

I don’t know. It just says they’d had only gotten as far as transmitting messages outlining potential targets. Not much to go on.

Do you live under a rock? We already had our share of “terror” coming out of the LHC.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Do you live under a rock? We already had our share of “terror” coming out of the LHC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_particle_collisions_at_the_Large_Hadron_Collider [/quote]

Lixy I would acutally really appreciate your input. No sarcasm.

Was it:
a) Thwart scientific studies.
b) Create a bomb, destroy Europe/earth.

Why?

You guys are not thinking like terrorists. You better get your thinking kufies on.

Maybe he was just a scientist with suspected ties to Al Qaida. The key word being “suspected”.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
lixy wrote:

Lixy I would acutally really appreciate your input. No sarcasm.

Was it:
a) Thwart scientific studies.
b) Create a bomb, destroy Europe/earth.

Why?

You guys are not thinking like terrorists. You better get your thinking kufies on.[/quote]

c. Hit/help plan to hit, other targets.