Positive/Negative with Deadlift

I have a question regarding the the negative part of the deadlift.

Does the negative need to be as slow and controlled as possible?

Is it the positive part of the lift need to be as fast and explosive as possible ?

Please discuss…

[quote]georgede wrote:
I have a question regarding the the negative part of the deadlift.

Does the negative need to be as slow and controlled as possible?

Is it the positive part of the lift need to be as fast and explosive as possible ?

Please discuss…
[/quote]

To be more clear, in which part should i pay more attention?

I lift 5x3(rps)

I know that in O lifts, one stops as soon as the speed of the lift slows down…should i do the same in the deadlift?

And when i bring the barbell down , should it be as slow and controlled as possible or not?

no. not slow. not at all. Guide it to the floor. The concentric, there are different schools. I have heard it said that if you can control the speed and purposefully slow it down, then it’s time to up the weight.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
no. not slow. not at all. Guide it to the floor. The concentric, there are different schools. I have heard it said that if you can control the speed and purposefully slow it down, then it’s time to up the weight.[/quote]

jp thanks.slowing it down feels like it takes strenght off the set, uncomfortable…

anybody else?

Do not focus on the negative deadlift. It’s one thing to do eccentric curls or something like that, but the deadlift incorporates so many muscles at generally high RMs, I can’t see it being very good for your lower back. As dubya said, guide it to the ground.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Do not focus on the negative deadlift. It’s one thing to do eccentric curls or something like that, but the deadlift incorporates so many muscles at generally high RMs, I can’t see it being very good for your lower back. As dubya said, guide it to the ground.[/quote]

thanks ssc…

i stick with it…fast lifting it,guiding it down

I’d say, if you have bumper plates, just drop the bar after completing the lift. I believe I have read a couple times on this site that lowering the bar back to the ground is where the majority of injuries occur when DL’ing. I would not recommend this with standard plates and a non-padded floor, unless you’re planning to demo the floor anyway :wink:

I definitely would not agree with just dropping it after… most injuries occur lowering it because people don’t lower it under control, or they look to the side or lose their form. Don’t lower it really slowly, but lower it under control, guide er down

Hold it and control it all the way down, but quickly. Quick and controlled.