Portland's Inequality Tax

I barely talk about myself and give any real information about me, that would put out all the fun in being in a forum. I’d say I let myself the time to post in forums. I don’t see how I would be able to do that with 70 real hours of work (means no fucking around).

It’s just in your culture to inflate your number of worked hours to give yourselves importance. Still I give it to you that you can’t support yourself in every situation with a full time job on minimum wage, so a lot of people have to have 2-3 of them. So yeah people end up working more than 70 hours a week in the USA. .

You can still find good people for way less that 5 millions a year. I agree 150 000$ is a bit low in that case since plenty of professionals are making 150 000$ a year.
Somehow I don’t see how one five million guy is better than let’s say 3 or 4 250 000$ guys who are 95% as good. They can share some tasks you know. I guess that’s part of what they say to justify their 5M$: only them alone can ‘‘cast a vision’’ and you are a clown.

You’re a pretty arrogant fuck. Turns out you’re also wrong, so go figure. Funny how often those things go hand in hand.

3 Likes

A large company could continue selling lower or a small company that still sell low could become bigger. This isn’t supposed to be a cartel.

I don’t see the problem that one guy could only make 1M$/year and not 10M$. It’s better to have more smaller economic pyramids around than fewer big ones.

Not always true.

I agree about the part that you shouldn’t reproduce if you can’t support yourself, but I am not sure about the rest.

Nah I am pretty sure you like to inflate a bit.

How can you make such a firm value judgment?

It will be interesting to see the data in 2017 with the SEC’s new filing rule. It will be especially interesting to see the breakdown of the average CEO’s compensation package.

It’s also worth noting that such a small percentage of businesses are even public (less than 4K) so we still won’t have a complete picture.

Another thing to consider is that this conversation always leans towards the very small percentage of CEOs at the largest publicly traded corporations that have the most significant comp packages. Your McDonalds and Walmarts. We tend to forget about the CEO’s that oversee much smaller enterprises making less than $1M/ year in total comp.

How much more should be plowed back into workers that stand in a location, pick inventory, and place said inventory on a conveyor system? I ask because we’ve got about a 1,000 such employees and a few thousand more that do the same thing; except, they use a fork truck to do it.

Agreed.

@jasmincar thanks for the laugh this morning.

1 Like

Sorta like how you think you’re the equivalent of a CPA in your field having graduated from college a whole 2 years ago…

3 Likes

Good reminder!

I forgot about this…

This guy was ready to “hire a hacker” to help him get around his University’s academic scheduling procedure because he hadn’t planned appropriately to get his schedule lined up to complete his degree in expeditious fashion.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly the quality of person I want telling me how to fix the economy. Somebody who was contemplating criminal enterprise

3 Likes

Theoretically, there are companies with “values” other than profit alone.

A totally made up one could be the Granola Company that donates a chunk of its money for a Beaver Sanctuary.

Or a credit union that pays out dividends to its members, instead of bonuses to executives.

Or a beer brewery owned by the employees.

Is the an attempt by Portland to attract these sorts of businesses? Portland has a Greenbelt to limit sprawl, everybody rides bicycles. They have a “plan” for the city. Is this law designed to attract hippie business and discourage “Cut Throat” Capitalists? With no high roller CEO’s, Portland won’t become like a Silicon Valley, ultra expensive place to live?

Here you go:

Move to California and make $14/h ($28K) - $20/h ($40K) with a high school diploma. There’s opportunity all over the place if you’re willing to work hard.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the goal of this is to attract new companies, it seems to apply to any company that just “does business” in Portland. The main ones its trying to punish with a higher tax are not even based there.

There’s a whole lot to chew on in that article, not the least of which is that tree cutting is neck and neck with fishery related industry for deadliest jobs in the US.

Seriously, the only thing that will match the number of dead trees in that forest is the number of dead would be tree cutters that go into the forest with a chainsaw and a lack of skill and experience thinking that they will make it big. From experience I can say that tree cutting is absolutely Not for just any ole body that wants to make a few bucks.

And thats before you even get to the dollars and cents side of it.

2 Likes

I think you’re just trying to keep all those trees to yourself…:pokerface:

4 Likes

Meh. Being a CPA isn’t the end of it all you know.

I didn’t claim that it was.

Hey wait… That’s a great idea to create a beaver sanctuary!

That’s actually pretty well put, only it’s more that they didn’t plan their thing appropriately than the opposite. That’s better than the other guy who tried to make it seems like I am hacking my grades or something.

I ended doing the 8 months + something more with it.

I still doesn’t see the problem with going around stupid things creatively when it doesn’t do wrong to anyone.

In prison? They sure don’t take hacking lightly in Canada.

And it’s the very people the “feel gooders” think they are helping. The people with minimum skill. Great, you’ve just made it more difficult for low skilled people to find jobs. Yaay raising the minimum wage to make me feel self righteous!

Why the hell would people work hard then? What’s the incentive if you’re only going to get paid a little more than minimum for unequal work?

Why is it up to you to decide how much someone is worth? Does the CEO of Walmart make too much?

Know what also isn’t true? A company being responsible for your life choices or that a company forces people to work for them and their shitty wages.

2 Likes

I didn’t know people with minimum wage didn’t work hard.
It’s a fact that employers like to give longer breaks to people with minimum wage.

Yep everyone has always the choice.