Portion Sizes Seem Too Small?

Hey everyone I’ve been counting cals lately…mostly carbs…For each meal I want bout 75g’s of carbs. I get 50 of that from somethin like pasta, potatoes etc. and then 20-25 of that from fruit.

Now for me to eat 50g’s of carbs is pretty much 2 small potatoes on the scale equaling 150g per potatoe = 23g of carbs…it seems like such little amount of food though.
I mean for me to get carbs through sweet potatoe/yams…I eat one large yam and that’s already 75g’s of carbs.
Is this all we really need?
I mean I used to eat 2 big yams…5-6 small potatoes. Until I really looked at the figures damn was I ever getting a lot of carbs.

Just making sure if this is right…it just seems like sucha small amount…

What do you mean “Is this really all we need”?

Who are you talking about?

Need for what?

you’d have to weigh the food to be sure you’ve got the right portion. If you’ve got a scale, do it and see.

But yeah, portion sizes on food labels are pretty tiny. You ever taken 3-4oz of meat, put it on a plate and tried to pretend it’s a meal? Pfft.

With carbs, the portions are a lot smaller than most people think. In my experience, pasta and potatoes are dense and contain more carbs/weight as opposed to rice. 1 cup of rice is a pretty good deal of rice and it is around 40 grams of carbs vs 1 cup of pasta which is not a lot of pasta. Portion sizes suck.

Why eat the potato at all, and not just get all your carbs from fruit and veggies?

Potato, corn, grain, rice all that nasty stuff is just car fuel. Unless you need a ton of carbs/energy because you’re doing something major, why not stick to fruit and edible roots (potato isn’t really edible in its natural state)?

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Potato, corn, grain, rice all that nasty stuff is just car fuel. Unless you need a ton of carbs/energy because you’re doing something major, why not stick to fruit and edible roots (potato isn’t really edible in its natural state)?[/quote]

Because potatos, corn, grains, and rice are good carbohydrate sources to fuel growth.

I’ll switch to edible roots when I’m ready for a semi-starvation diet.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Spartiates wrote:
Potato, corn, grain, rice all that nasty stuff is just car fuel. Unless you need a ton of carbs/energy because you’re doing something major, why not stick to fruit and edible roots (potato isn’t really edible in its natural state)?

Because potatos, corn, grains, and rice are good carbohydrate sources to fuel growth.

I’ll switch to edible roots when I’m ready for a semi-starvation diet.
[/quote]

x2

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Why eat the potato at all, and not just get all your carbs from fruit and veggies?

Potato, corn, grain, rice all that nasty stuff is just car fuel. Unless you need a ton of carbs/energy because you’re doing something major, why not stick to fruit and edible roots (potato isn’t really edible in its natural state)?[/quote]

It never fails. Whenever someone makes a post like this there are no pictures on the profile.

Would you care to show us a picture of the muscular physique you have built with roots green veggies as the carb source?

Have fewer meals with carbs and stick to protein+fat between meals. Your portions will be much more satieting.

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
Have fewer meals with carbs and stick to protein+fat between meals. Your portions will be much more satieting.[/quote]

This. Or just cut out the carbs during the latter meals and then increase the carb intake around workout / other meals. I prefer to have a big bowl of pasta in one meal than a spoonfull of pasta taken 8 times a day.

Thanks for all the responses fellas. Yeah cutting out those carbs aint gonna work with boxing and lifting everyday…plus construction lol.

I have cut 2 carb meals though and replaced them with salmon and a big salad. I get a lot of good fats n protein from the salmon…equaling almost 500 cals total. I eat it later at night close to bedtime.

I DO have a scale…I actually re-measured my potatoes AFTER I cooked them…and I was wrong by a longshot I acutally do need more than 2 small potatoes…I was wondering why I was LEANING up so much…but when I recalucated my carbs…

I HAD CUT THEM IN HALF! hahah.
Big mistake…but I am digging the leanness…I was wondering why weight went down a few lbs as well because I was gettin ALL my meals in.

Anyways the rice vs. pasta thing is true as well…that’s why I rather stick to pasta cause rice makes me sickk…but rice n beans works good together so you don’t gotta eat a shitload of rice.

so yeah I got it figured out now thanks guys!