Portable Food / Bage / Good?

Like a lot of people I spend all day away from home at work. Im a skinny bastard though and need to eat much more. The problem is that there really arent any convenient or quick places to go to grab food during the day. And there are only so many or at least so long u can take eating almost nothing but mrps.

Ud like any suggestions at all on what people chow while at work. But in particualy, I’m considering stocking up on bagels. Does this look like reasonable nutrition to u guys? I’m wondering are the carbs complex and low glycemic or is it really not too much different from most other sources of carbs like say yogurt or something

I would take a page of Dr. Berardi book and stock up with bagels and PB. Its a good way to get your carbs, fats, and a little protein. To supplement the protein bring in some shaker bottles with protein and water. I feel your pain and I hate the response everyone always gives, “cook all your meals at one time” blah blah blah. Haha even on Sunday I don’t have that kind of time! I usually bring in the following to work:
-Instant coffee mixed in a shaker bottle with protein and water
-weight control oatmeal, just take one of those coffee room cups and mix up the oatmeal!
-protein bar
-green tea
-fruit
-water
-some sort of frozen dinner, high in protein
-MRP

I’m also curious as to what people use… but for me, I take nuts, a protein shake when possible, and beef jerky. Watch out with the beef jerky though, most of them are loaded with sodium.

Sunday, I really felt like a nice, grilled steak. So, I fired up the grill, tossed on a 4 rib eyes, 6 chicken breasts and 6 chicken hot italian sausage.

Grante, I put the breasts on first because I like my steaks medium rare. But in the time it took me to cook my dinner, I had food for several days.

Now, telling me again how hard that is?

Don’t make an excuse that it is too difficult to cook a lot of food. IT can be done and it doesn’t take any extra time.

I also like to use my crock pot to cook up chili, hearty soups and stews or a number of other things. Also, if I am firing up my oven, I can make a few things while still cleaning my house, working out, reading a book or a number of other things. It only takes a few minutes of planning.

As a tip, make a bunch of hard boiled eggs. Transport easily, have good protein and you can use a variety of condiments (I like tabasco) when you eat them.

I have to agree with Arioch. If you’re cooking anyway, how hard is it to make 4-5 times as much. Those little disposable tupperware containers are a godsend for us. You can dump in hot food, refrigerate or freeze it, microwave it when needed and then toss it in the dishwasher for next time. How convenient is that? I have several healthy, cheap, choices for my lunchs on any given day by cooking extra portions when I make dinners. Of course, I also keep the prerequisite protein bars, canned tuna, fruit, nuts, oatmeal, etc. around for quick snacks and to provide variety. But, I would much rather live on real meals.

I like beef jerkey, frozen dinners w/ vegetables and lots of protien in them (just make sure you read labels).

Chocolate milk, bags of almonds or peanuts or trail mix, pb sammiches, bagels sound like a good idea, high protien/low fat soups and chillis (canned or home-made) as well as whole wheat sammiches with lean meats like ham and low fat capicola and turkey etc. Protien shakes, bars and MRPs I sometimes take into work.

Obviously eat on your lunch hour (or half hour) and your 15-minute breaks too. Drink lots of water between meals and if you’re at a desk keep some trail mix or something handy to munch on.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Sunday, I really felt like a nice, grilled steak. So, I fired up the grill, tossed on a 4 rib eyes, 6 chicken breasts and 6 chicken hot italian sausage.

Grante, I put the breasts on first because I like my steaks medium rare. But in the time it took me to cook my dinner, I had food for several days.

Now, telling me again how hard that is?

Don’t make an excuse that it is too difficult to cook a lot of food. IT can be done and it doesn’t take any extra time.

I also like to use my crock pot to cook up chili, hearty soups and stews or a number of other things. Also, if I am firing up my oven, I can make a few things while still cleaning my house, working out, reading a book or a number of other things. It only takes a few minutes of planning.

As a tip, make a bunch of hard boiled eggs. Transport easily, have good protein and you can use a variety of condiments (I like tabasco) when you eat them.[/quote]

Well one I just got a job fresh out of cellege so a crock what? Haha I know what it is, but don’t own one yet. Two, when I use a grill its to cook for more people than just myself. Finally, 3; you don’t live in the true south so let me update you on our Sundays:
-Go to Church until 1
-Cook out on the Grill with the Family
-Watch either the race or whatever sport may be on
-Drink the beer you purchased on Saturday b/c we have Blue Laws

So have fun getting the extra grilling time in there!

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
I have to agree with Arioch. If you’re cooking anyway, how hard is it to make 4-5 times as much. Those little disposable tupperware containers are a godsend for us. You can dump in hot food, refrigerate or freeze it, microwave it when needed and then toss it in the dishwasher for next time. How convenient is that? I have several healthy, cheap, choices for my lunchs on any given day by cooking extra portions when I make dinners. Of course, I also keep the prerequisite protein bars, canned tuna, fruit, nuts, oatmeal, etc. around for quick snacks and to provide variety. But, I would much rather live on real meals. [/quote]

Those containers are great! One problem is I live with my g/f who has had cancer, and when you microwave plastic it releases chemicals which cause cancer.
I’m not trying to bitch, just defending my stance as to why I go the frozen food route.

I do not know your work situation but I have my own fridge and microwave in my cubicle. You get both for a total cost of less than 100 bucks and it is worth it. So I sit there all day and eat.

If you do not have that luxury, you can get these lunch bags that have compartments in their for icepacks etc to keep your food chilled. Pop a meal into the microwave and there you go.

No microwave, no worries, a chicken breast taste just as good cold if you ask me. Tuna out of the can, no too bad, you do what you gotta do.

A

One more tip, if you have a desk job, block off time in your calendar when you are supposed to eat so people cant schedule meetings with you. If they still do, bring the food, fuck em, you are a bodybuilder and need your fuel.

[quote]2ms wrote:
Like a lot of people I spend all day away from home at work. Im a skinny bastard though and need to eat much more. The problem is that there really arent any convenient or quick places to go to grab food during the day. And there are only so many or at least so long u can take eating almost nothing but mrps.

Ud like any suggestions at all on what people chow while at work. But in particualy, I’m considering stocking up on bagels. Does this look like reasonable nutrition to u guys? I’m wondering are the carbs complex and low glycemic or is it really not too much different from most other sources of carbs like say yogurt or something[/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I do not know your work situation but I have my own fridge and microwave in my cubicle. You get both for a total cost of less than 100 bucks and it is worth it. So I sit there all day and eat.
[/quote]

Damn man where the hell do you work? Granted my cubicle is too small for either, let alone both, but I wish we had that option!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Finally, 3; you don’t live in the true south so let me update you on our Sundays:
-Go to Church until 1
-Cook out on the Grill with the Family
-Watch either the race or whatever sport may be on
-Drink the beer you purchased on Saturday b/c we have Blue Laws

So have fun getting the extra grilling time in there![/quote]

I think the solution is clear: Move North.

PS: I wonder what Ronnie did back when he was a full-time cop…in Texas…

[quote]Miserere wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Finally, 3; you don’t live in the true south so let me update you on our Sundays:
-Go to Church until 1
-Cook out on the Grill with the Family
-Watch either the race or whatever sport may be on
-Drink the beer you purchased on Saturday b/c we have Blue Laws

So have fun getting the extra grilling time in there!

I think the solution is clear: Move North.

PS: I wonder what Ronnie did back when he was a full-time cop…in Texas…[/quote]

Haha for real I grew up in DC! Was Ronnie ever a full time cop? I thought he was only part time. I had been trying to figure out what he did during college to eat well and such, but never could find anything.

I work at a Media research firm, been there over 7 years. I have a good size cubicle but the stuff they sell nowadays is cheap and compact. The microwave fits on my desk and the fridge is underneath. But yeah it is a good deal, I know.

But its gets sweeter, I am in charge of an FA network, the Food Alert network which has capos on all floors to ensure we get first dibs on any free food in the company, lol. Plus people know what I do so whatever food they dont eat from catered lunches etc they bring to my desk, its a sweet set up bro.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I do not know your work situation but I have my own fridge and microwave in my cubicle. You get both for a total cost of less than 100 bucks and it is worth it. So I sit there all day and eat.

Damn man where the hell do you work? Granted my cubicle is too small for either, let alone both, but I wish we had that option![/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I work at a Media research firm, been there over 7 years. I have a good size cubicle but the stuff they sell nowadays is cheap and compact. The microwave fits on my desk and the fridge is underneath. But yeah it is a good deal, I know.

But its gets sweeter, I am in charge of an FA network, the Food Alert network which has capos on all floors to ensure we get first dibs on any free food in the company, lol. Plus people know what I do so whatever food they dont eat from catered lunches etc they bring to my desk, its a sweet set up bro.

CrewPierce wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I do not know your work situation but I have my own fridge and microwave in my cubicle. You get both for a total cost of less than 100 bucks and it is worth it. So I sit there all day and eat.

Damn man where the hell do you work? Granted my cubicle is too small for either, let alone both, but I wish we had that option!
[/quote]

Haha damn sweet deal man! I’m hoping to get a job doing Finances for a supplement company, we’ll see how it works. I would love to work for Biotest but I can’t figure out how to contact them lol

Good luck bro. You inspired to share my FA network principles in a separate thread. It contains helpful info on how to set up your own network. Stop by the thread and set up your own network when you get the gig.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I work at a Media research firm, been there over 7 years. I have a good size cubicle but the stuff they sell nowadays is cheap and compact. The microwave fits on my desk and the fridge is underneath. But yeah it is a good deal, I know.

But its gets sweeter, I am in charge of an FA network, the Food Alert network which has capos on all floors to ensure we get first dibs on any free food in the company, lol. Plus people know what I do so whatever food they dont eat from catered lunches etc they bring to my desk, its a sweet set up bro.

CrewPierce wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I do not know your work situation but I have my own fridge and microwave in my cubicle. You get both for a total cost of less than 100 bucks and it is worth it. So I sit there all day and eat.

Damn man where the hell do you work? Granted my cubicle is too small for either, let alone both, but I wish we had that option!

Haha damn sweet deal man! I’m hoping to get a job doing Finances for a supplement company, we’ll see how it works. I would love to work for Biotest but I can’t figure out how to contact them lol[/quote]