T Nation

Pork: Damaged Protein?

I just saw this.

Any truth to that? It sounds like complete BS to me, but I just don’t know enough about the subject.

Whoever wrote that should stick to theology and leave human bio to the experts…

Doesn’t pork just mean pig meat?

I remember reading a long time ago about Justin Harris saying pork had an inferior amino acid profile, and something else?

All I know is most fresh pork products make me ill.
Not organic nitrate-free bacon though… thank God!

Oink!

Lol, about the theology comment… why? Because this came from the “diet and exercise section” of some handbook/guide for strippers.

Ran across it, and was just wondering what sort of diet and exercise advice people were giving these girls.

Lolz

Exercise selection sounded spot on though… centered mainly around heavy squats, lunges, and romanian deadlifts.

There is nothing difficult about digesting fat or cholesterol in a normal, healthy intestine. Much of the dietary cholesterol we eat is de-esterified and does not enter the bloodstream as cholesterol.

As far as damaged proteins go, an amino acid is either an amino acid or it is not - it is either available for us to digest and utilize or it is not. If it is not digestible it will not enter the bloodstream. Proteins can only remain undigested if they are bound to other chemicals that make it impossible for digestive enzymes to get to - such as they can be if it is overcooked - or if there are not enough digestive enzymes to do their job. Pork is one of those protein sources that people seem to overcook for fear of toxic pathogens in it.

Instead of worrying about the source of the protein I would worry about the source of the animal’s diet which can contain toxins that get stored in its fat. We don’t have to overcook pork or avoid the fat if it is sourced from a farmer that knows what he is doing.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Lol, about the theology comment… why? Because this came from the “diet and exercise section” of some handbook/guide for strippers.

Ran across it, and was just wondering what sort of diet and exercise advice people were giving these girls.[/quote]

A couple religions forbid the consumption of pork/pork products…

if you ever look up the reasoning as to why it is forbidden you will find a bunch of bullshit about pig orgies, pigs eating shit, pouring coke on raw pork will chase maggots out of it, etc… along with the notion that pork protein is indigestible.

I’m guessing that may have been behind the theology comment.

Brickhead would know the science behind pork protein digestibility though… hopefully he pops up!

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Ran across it, and was just wondering what sort of diet and exercise advice people were giving these girls.[/quote]

A couple religions forbid the consumption of pork/pork products…

if you ever look up the reasoning as to why it is forbidden you will find a bunch of bullshit about pig orgies, pigs eating shit, pouring coke on raw pork will chase maggots out of it, etc… along with the notion that pork protein is indigestible.

I’m guessing that may have been behind the theology comment.

Brickhead would know the science behind pork protein digestibility though… hopefully he pops up! [/quote]

Oh, no, I knew exactly where he was coming from. I’m just laughing at the idea of a theological bent to a stripper handbook.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

Does your bacon contain celery salt?

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

Does your bacon contain celery salt? [/quote]

I’ve yet to find one that boasts NF and doesn’t have celery salt. So, yes it still contains naturally occuring nitrates, though it’s usually in organic brands, and the one I buy comes from organic pork along with more humane practices.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

I’ve yet to find one that boasts NF and doesn’t have celery salt. So, yes it still contains naturally occuring nitrates, though it’s usually in organic brands, and the one I buy comes from organic pork along with more humane practices.[/quote]

Oddly enough, the non-organic brands have the decency to include ascorbic acid and/or erythorbic acid, which inhibit nitrosamine formation. Most local butchers will do the same.

On a practical note, one can simply cook the bacon at a much lower temperature which will greatly diminish nitrosamine formation - with the added benefits of reduced oil spatter and less ribboning of the bacon. The main downside is the greatly increased cook time.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

I’ve yet to find one that boasts NF and doesn’t have celery salt. So, yes it still contains naturally occuring nitrates, though it’s usually in organic brands, and the one I buy comes from organic pork along with more humane practices.[/quote]

Let me clarify the bacon contains no added nitrates / nitrites (aside from the naturally occurring ones).

I use Applegate Farms. Humane, natural and the best tasting bacon I’ve ever had. I like mine soft and somewhat rubbery. I save the fat to cook eggs in later.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

Let me clarify the bacon contains no added nitrates / nitrites (aside from the naturally occurring ones).

I use Applegate Farms. Humane, natural and the best tasting bacon I’ve ever had. I like mine soft and somewhat rubbery. I save the fat to cook eggs in later.
[/quote]

Same brand here. At $6 a package we can go through almost 3 a week easy so I’ve been cutting back a little lately :frowning:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

[/quote]

How are you guys cooking? I’ve taken to baking mine on a stoneware sheet (cookie sheet style) lined with parchment paper. Works great. Just curious…

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

[/quote]

Same brand here. At $6 a package we can go through almost 3 a week easy so I’ve been cutting back a little lately :([/quote]

Heh heh!

We didn’t have any in the fridge last Sunday. So my skinny musician son wakes up, sees the absence of bacon, then goes to the store and comes home with a pack of Applegate Farms, cooks up the whole pack, and eats it all himself. LOL

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

[/quote]

How are you guys cooking? I’ve taken to baking mine on a stoneware sheet (cookie sheet style) lined with parchment paper. Works great. Just curious…[/quote]

Sounds good, but I slow cook it in a frying pan, then pour the fat into a small bowl to use later for frying eggs in!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oink![/quote]

[/quote]

How are you guys cooking? I’ve taken to baking mine on a stoneware sheet (cookie sheet style) lined with parchment paper. Works great. Just curious…[/quote]

Sounds good, but I slow cook it in a frying pan, then pour the fat into a small bowl to use later for frying eggs in!

[/quote]

Dad?