T Nation

Popping Shoulder

My shoulder makes an audible popping sound when I do medium to wide grip overhand pull ups.

I have zero pain with this.

My workout yesterday was Press for heavy weight for a million reps for a million sets, dips with a pause at the bottom for a 5x10, followed by medium to wide grip overhand chin ups.

Is this a bad thing that my shoulder makes that noise? Oddly enough, I don’t seem to have this happen with any other pull up bar other than the one I have at home. Could it be a hand placement issue? Could it be an impending shoulder issue? Could it be nothing?

Last time I posted in here, I seemed to get a lot of very educated responses.

I do shoulder stretches every day. These include Apley’s scratch stretching, band dislocations, broom handle dislocations, and band pull aparts. On any upper body day, I will throw in a YTWL in addition to those for a warm up before I start with the empty bar.

I have no positive pain provocation tests at the moment either. Thanks guys!

[quote]trivium wrote:
My shoulder makes an audible popping sound when I do medium to wide grip overhand pull ups.

My workout yesterday was Press for heavy weight for a million reps for a million sets, dips with a pause at the bottom for a 5x10, followed by medium to wide grip overhand chin ups.

Is this a bad thing that my shoulder makes that noise? Oddly enough, I don’t seem to have this happen with any other pull up bar other than the one I have at home. Could it be a hand placement issue? Could it be an impending shoulder issue? Could it be nothing?

I do shoulder stretches every day. These include Apley’s scratch stretching, band dislocations, broom handle dislocations, and band pull aparts. On any upper body day, I will throw in a YTWL in addition to those for a warm up before I start with the empty bar.

I have no positive pain provocation tests at the moment either. Thanks guys![/quote]

Its probably some microinstability at the biceps labral complex or the bicep in the humeral groove. It could be a scapular positioning problem, I am a big advocate of not achieving full extension at the bottom of a pullup because the humeral head glides forward and is not centered in the glenoid. To avoid maintain a 15-20 degree bend in the elbow and I bet your shoulder with be much more stable.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

I have no positive pain provocation tests at the moment either. Thanks guys![/quote]

Its probably some microinstability at the biceps labral complex or the bicep in the humeral groove. It could be a scapular positioning problem, I am a big advocate of not achieving full extension at the bottom of a pullup because the humeral head glides forward and is not centered in the glenoid. To avoid maintain a 15-20 degree bend in the elbow and I bet your shoulder with be much more stable. [/quote]

The popping happens about 3/4 of the way down.

I love to hang between reps and get a nice back stretch. I look at it like being on monkey bars.

I was thinking about just doing the concentric portion and then standing up.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

Its probably some microinstability at the biceps labral complex or the bicep in the humeral groove. It could be a scapular positioning problem, I am a big advocate of not achieving full extension at the bottom of a pullup because the humeral head glides forward and is not centered in the glenoid. To avoid maintain a 15-20 degree bend in the elbow and I bet your shoulder with be much more stable. [/quote]

I love to hang between reps and get a nice back stretch. I look at it like being on monkey bars.

I was thinking about just doing the concentric portion and then standing up.[/quote]

Its hard to say without actually seeing you and doing some tests to see how your shoulder is working. Your age, weight, level of training, and level of competition also play large roles…

I want to say, on gut instinct, your posterior capsule is probably tight (its tight in a majority of people anyways) and your humeral head is sliding forward and making the popping sound but I couldnt rule out other pathology over the internet. Adding scapular plane raises to 90 is a great idea for any weightlifter or athlete, so I would do that regardless of this being a true pathology. They are preformed like a lateral raise but thumb up, and about 45 degrees anterior to the frontal plane. It promotes good activation of the scapular rotators and the rotator cuff promoting humeral stability in the glenoid fossa. As for the tight posterior capsule a tennis ball will do the trick, get between the posterior and middle heads of the delt.

[quote]dzmendon wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

I was thinking about just doing the concentric portion and then standing up.[/quote]

Its hard to say without actually seeing you and doing some tests to see how your shoulder is working. Your age, weight, level of training, and level of competition also play large roles…

I want to say, on gut instinct, your posterior capsule is probably tight (its tight in a majority of people anyways) and your humeral head is sliding forward and making the popping sound but I couldnt rule out other pathology over the internet. Adding scapular plane raises to 90 is a great idea for any weightlifter or athlete, so I would do that regardless of this being a true pathology. They are preformed like a lateral raise but thumb up, and about 45 degrees anterior to the frontal plane. It promotes good activation of the scapular rotators and the rotator cuff promoting humeral stability in the glenoid fossa. As for the tight posterior capsule a tennis ball will do the trick, get between the posterior and middle heads of the delt.
[/quote]

the posterior capsule is not tight in the majority of people, have you ever seen the posterior capsule? its about as thin as a sheet of foil. Only overhead athletes whom are repetitively stressing the capsule on follow thru truly get a thickened tight posterior capsule. Lifters do generally lose both external and internal rotation but mostly due to muscle stiffness.

The full can exercise is good but for OP’s complaints I would like to see him get some practice stabilizing in an overhead position like high pulls etc which are more functional in this instance.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

The posterior capsule is not tight in the majority of people, have you ever seen the posterior capsule? its about as thin as a sheet of foil. Only overhead athletes whom are repetitively stressing the capsule on follow thru truly get a thickened tight posterior capsule. Lifters do generally lose both external and internal rotation but mostly due to muscle stiffness.

The full can exercise is good but for OP’s complaints I would like to see him get some practice stabilizing in an overhead position like high pulls etc which are more functional in this instance.
[/quote]

I have found different clinically, but okay. What exercises would you recommend?

[quote]dzmendon wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

The posterior capsule is not tight in the majority of people, have you ever seen the posterior capsule? its about as thin as a sheet of foil. Only overhead athletes whom are repetitively stressing the capsule on follow thru truly get a thickened tight posterior capsule. Lifters do generally lose both external and internal rotation but mostly due to muscle stiffness.

[/quote]

I have found different clinically, but okay. What exercises would you recommend?[/quote]

To improve internal/external PNF contract flexibility to stretch and reduce muscular stiffness rather then stretch the posterior capsule of a joint which already is inherently one of the most unstable joints in the body. Rhythmic stab at and above 90, plyometric IR with weighted ball, high pulls with scap set down and tight.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

eliminate hang pleaseeeeee

So my current stretching is not going to cover it?

[quote]trivium wrote:
So my current stretching is not going to cover it?[/quote]

Cover?

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

Cover?
[/quote]

Sorry. Is it adequate?

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

Cover?
[/quote]

Sorry. Is it adequate?[/quote]

The only thing I can honestly say online is maybe you do not have enough bilateral shoulder external rotation to properly set your scapula. Do you place/hook your legs behind you and bend your knees and arch your back? A ton of cross fitters (which your not) advocate “setting” your core and keeping your legs straight, the huge problem with this is it drives your scapula forward and displaces the humeral head inside the glenoid and secondarily can cause shoulder instability. Tuck your feet back, arch your back, set your scaps. Static stretching is overrated.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

Cover?
[/quote]

Sorry. Is it adequate?[/quote]

The only thing I can honestly say online is maybe you do not have enough bilateral shoulder external rotation to properly set your scapula. Do you place/hook your legs behind you and bend your knees and arch your back? A ton of cross fitters (which your not) advocate “setting” your core and keeping your legs straight, the huge problem with this is it drives your scapula forward and displaces the humeral head inside the glenoid and secondarily can cause shoulder instability. Tuck your feet back, arch your back, set your scaps. Static stretching is overrated. [/quote]

I try to lean back and touch my sternum to the bar on most reps. This does involve my legs coming forward.

Resurrecting old thread.

When I stay upright my shoulders don’t click at all. So I have been trying to avoid leaning back.

Externally rotating my shoulders on incline does the same thing, but makes my shoulders feel “odd” in addition to the click.

SO…I think it is reasonable to assume that my shoulder is not meant to work in that plane of motion.

I am thinking of eliminating overhand wide grip pull ups for weighted neutral grip chins. I hear they have greater range of motion, less chance of injury and they hit the lats harder to boot.

Any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated!

Resurrecting old thread again…

Still having the clicking problem.

In my last workout I have been doing the pull, but have not been lowering myself. I just drop back down to the floor on my feet, and restart the pull.

I have noticed that going really wide with an overhand grip doesn’t seem to cause the pop, and that chin ups (fully supinated grip) don’t cause a pop.

Bumped.

I am still confused by my pain.

I have been having a stiff neck lately. And some delt insertion odd feelings. No buringin/shooting pains though. I have tried several tests for radiculopathy; however, I cannot reproduce the pain.

BUT…

When I shrug my shoulders and flex my pecs, I have discomfort over my anterior shoulder. I also noticed that my sternum has a painless pop now when I bench over 135.

Is this sounding like an AC joint sprain?

Bumped.

I have been reading about humeral anterior glide.

I have experienced shoulder pain with Kroc Rows in the past.

Could it be subscapularis weakness, or a tight posterior capsule?

Does this mean that I need to implement internal rotations and sleeper stretches?

Gary Crowley shows how you can perform self-myofascial release with active movement. He addresses neck stiffness, while hitting surrounding shoulder muscle tight spots, which can contribute to stiff neck (i.e.–subscapularis).

John Rusin added an article here on T-Nation last week. Also informative.

Thank you for the replies Hayes.

It is much appreciated. I will give those both a read tomorrow!