T Nation

Popping Sensation While Doing Scapular Retractions

So, my left shoulder girdle appears to be a lot less flexible than my right shoulder girdle. I cannot get the back of my hand/wrist to touch the while with my left hand while I do scapular retractions, but I can with my right hand.

Whenever I try to force my left hand to touch the wall, I start to feel a tight, burning sensation that radiates from the bottom of my scapula and around my shoulder itself. Plus, I hear popping sounds and a “strange” sensation following it. It’s not painful though, just uncomfortable.

Whenever I do scapular retractions on a daily basis, those popping sounds become less frequent. When I neglect my scapular retractions, I feel more tightness and hear more popping.

Is is basically my muscles forcing themselves into position? Is there anything that I should be worried about? I don’t feel any pain at all at any point afterwards, and I have no loss in strength.

Can you do scap retractions without involving your shoulder? Just squeezing your scapulae together and back? Usually popping sounds in the shoulder come from the seal between the labrum and the head of the humerus being broken and then resealed (such as with a torn labrum). It probably isn’t too bad since you have no pain/strength loss, but the popping indicates the shoulder isn’t moving correctly.

popping + pain = bad

popping + no pain = not bad

popping + uncomfortable? Beats the shit out of me! I’m going to say it’s bad though.

do you do any work for your upward rotators (serratus and lower traps)? IME, that tends to be the missing piece of the shoulder health puzzle…

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Can you do scap retractions without involving your shoulder? Just squeezing your scapulae together and back? Usually popping sounds in the shoulder come from the seal between the labrum and the head of the humerus being broken and then resealed (such as with a torn labrum). It probably isn’t too bad since you have no pain/strength loss, but the popping indicates the shoulder isn’t moving correctly.[/quote]

Ah, I should have specified. The popping sensation and sound (really not much of a sound though, I just feel something popping/snapping) at my left lower spacula, where it would head towards the spine while I do the retractions.

The sound isn’t from the shoulders at all. If it was, then I would be really worried!

rds- I don’t. I’ll start doing them though!