T Nation

Popping Chest?

I get pressure that builds up in my chest. I can actually pull my breat bone apart and it will pop. I know I should probably go see my doctor. If anyone has this problem, and knows the cause, let me know.

Joe Bob

stupid anvils falling off from above your bed again…i hate when that happens.

Does anyone know what’s going on here?

I’ve had this happen quite a few times. It doesn’t hurt when it happens just a little pop sound. While it might not be that smart a thing to do I’ve just dismissed it since it doesn’t hurt. Anyone else have an explanation.

Same here - never consistent…lasts maybe 2 - 3 weeks at a time then disappears for quite awhile.

I have the same thing happening to me, I went to the doctor and he said that it is very difficult to break the sternum without a very hard impact.
He said that it is just a pulled joint where the ribs attach to the breast bone… or something along that line, doctor’s are always kind of vague with me, He said that if it hurts then lay off doing exercises that put pressure on it for a while, and it should be fine in a few weeks.
in short I was just supposed to listen to my body.

-Dave

I get that all the time. I just put my arms behind me, grasp hands, and lift them up to the sky. My shoulders and breastbone pop, most of the time. It feels good!

Same thing for me every so often my chest will make a popping noise. when it first started(about three years ago) the popping was accompanied by pain so i had to lay off chest exercises completely for two months until i could resume benching with no pain. Since then I’ve had no pain whatsoever(other than the usual chest soreness)-still popping every so often though.

Finally! Some one knows my pain!. I have been having this problem for about 5 years off and on. I don’t know what causes it yet. This is what I do know: All it is is a rib that is out. Next time it feels out take your fingers and compare one side of your chest( middle) to the other and feel which pokes out and press on it. Most of the time it comes from your back( for me my spine shifts forward) and it pops out or there is alot of pressure at my sternum. I have gone to 2 different good Chiros and they have both said the same thing- that it is just a rib. All my friends and my girlfriend make fun of me cause I’ll have to get up quick and violently thrust my chest forward like a chicken to get it to pop- and it feels so good. I recently started doing rack pulls and the tightness that my back has had has reduced the tendacy for my ribs to pop out. Don’t know what else to tell ya except I feel your pain.