T Nation

Popped my Cherry!

I did my first strongman event! Officially it was a Highlander, a mix of strongman and Scottish throwing, but it was awesome. I'll be 40 in December, the Masters division was only one person so they asked me to bump up. It turned out, a college thrower jumped in at the last minute, and the other guy was a strongman competitor. I had no real chance, but a lot of fun anyway.

Open Stone--30'7.5" best throw ever! In practice with a 4 lb heavier stone I barely broke 20ft, but I my shoes had no traction and the grass was still wet, so I just threw from the board instead of any spin or drive.

Stone press--we had a choice of clean and pressing a 150lb stone, or 210lb , 60 seconds for reps. I'm not sure how they calculate which is better, but not having a lot of confidence in my shoulders (still) I opted fro 150. The first press went up to quickly it surprised me and a hesitated for a second, but I got into the rhythm. I got 6 c&p in 60 sec. In hindsight I was lapping the stone out of habit like a log, which cost me some time. Also, I was really focused on leg drive, which expended more energy than I really needed--more conditioning.

Heavy Weight for Distance--42lb,I want one of these. 23'3.5" literally with one two left in the trig to make a legal throw.

Medley (150lb stone carry, 530lb tire flip) The stone carry was a breeze and I threw it the last 3 feet or so. The 50ft spring back (they didn't tell me about that) good, kilt flying, legs pumping, but that tire! Brand new, sharp as shit, yet, mediocre grip. My 3rd flip fought me, and it gassed me hard. I was about 5ft from the finish on my 5th flip when I timed out. I need more explosiveness to pop the tire over, and conditioning.

Caber (for distance)--the caber was really light, 80lbs, which made it a little harder to balance, IMHO. I fouled twice over the line, you cant really look down to know where it is, but my 3rd throw was good at 27'3" and came down at a respectable 11:00 (my estimate)

Farmers, for distance 120lbs/hand--I have practiced with more, but not for total distance. I made 250ft, the ref, cheering my on, said "cross this line!" I pretty much followed his command, but as soon as I did I dropped. I probably had another 25-50ft in me, but the turn might have ended it anyways.

Overall, even though I am walking slow this morning, I'd do it again next week. I wish I had opted for the heavier stone for the press, but 6 x 150lbs is a huge PR anyways. My habitual, mechanical pull, lap, roll, press, might have paid off there. I don't think anyone pressed it to lockout, so who knows. I need better conditioning, and should probably add some oly lifts to get the explosiveness stronger.

Well done mate, now you’ve got to find another comp!

PJS, Thanks, I wish I did it years ago. I have a traditional Scottish Games, all throwing, in two weeks and I’ll do the strongman contest at my local gym in May 2015.

Monday-
Squat- 2x8,1 AMRAP with 270
Deficit Deadlift: 3x8 with 270
Back Extensions- 4 x 15
Ab RollOuts- 4 x 20
Face Pulls- 3 x 20

Wednesday-
Bench Press:2x8, 1x AMRAP 225
Close Grip Pulldown: 4 x 15
Barbell Row: 3 x 8
Incline FB Press: 3 x 8
Triceps Pressdown: 3 x 15

Friday-
Pause Squats: 1 set AMRAP with 225
Stiff Leg Deads: 3 x 12
Hip Thrust: 3 x 12
Leg Press: 3 x 12 per leg
Core

[quote]Reed wrote:
Monday-
Back Extensions- 4 x 15
Ab RollOuts- 4 x 20
Face Pulls- 3 x 20

Wednesday-

Friday-
Core[/quote]

stealing this…

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Monday-
Back Extensions- 4 x 15
Ab RollOuts- 4 x 20
Face Pulls- 3 x 20

Wednesday-

Friday-
Core[/quote]

stealing this…[/quote]

AMRAP pause squats with 225? Looks like a testicular fortitude day.