Pope's Been Given Last Rites

according to a Vatican source.
Doesn’t mean death is on the way, but…
Be funny if he died today or tomorrow, given the stand the Church took on Terri and that he’s on a feeding tube now.

I’m not Catholic, but I went to Catholic school, and I admire him as a man.

why, what the hell has he done other than pontificate over things?

now i’m asking for it.

rant over with,

i just wonder what has he actually done that deserves such a privilage of handing respect? since his office, war is still prevalent, he has made no efficacious interventions in peace keeping and outrages of human rights.

The role is benign, the “leader” of the wealthiest per capita nation (the vatican nation) and has little or no impact outside of italy, spain and a few south american countries.

or am i wrong.

[quote]miniross wrote:

now i’m asking for it.[/quote]

yeah…imagine the pontiff pontificating!

actually, thinking about it, doesn’t he deserve a break and get the hell into “heaven” if thats where you go.

Poor sod. I wonder if its like the russians keeping an ailing leader alive whilst the preperations are put in place for his replacment.

He’s had a good innings, and should be left to die in peace with whatever family and friends he may have, like all people deserve when it comes for them to pop their clogs.

(JW, that means to die!)

[quote]miniross wrote:

now i’m asking for it.[/quote]

Well…he is a pontif…

[quote]miniross wrote:
(JW, that means to die!)[/quote]

thanks!

There needs to be some kind of miniross conversion dictionary…

[quote]miniross wrote:
rant over with,

i just wonder what has he actually done that deserves such a privilage of handing respect? since his office, war is still prevalent, he has made no efficacious interventions in peace keeping and outrages of human rights.

The role is benign, the “leader” of the wealthiest per capita nation (the vatican nation) and has little or no impact outside of italy, spain and a few south american countries.

or am i wrong.[/quote]

You’re right. The standing up against Communism while archbishop of Krakow in the 1960’s (despite the very real possibility of risking his own life) and then consistently battling against Communism doesn’t mean much, huh? :wink: I am not exactly sure how he was supposed to stop war. He can only speak out and encourage his flock to do the same.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

Whether you are Catholic or not even a European has to see he was a man of conviction.

I know that is not admired in Europe anymore but in the USA it still is by some of us. Particularly a lot of folks who frequent this site.

Would you stick by your beliefs if the govt. threatened you and your family with prison or worse. He did.

Like him or not. He spoke up for the poor, helpless and defenseless and he maintained his postitions. Popular or not.

I can respect that. Wonder why others can’t.

i guess the answer is in the title then…?

“The Pope? How many divisions has he got?” - Uncle Joe Stalin, upon recieving word of the Vatican’s disapproval of his policies.

[quote]Al Shades wrote:
“The Pope? How many divisions has he got?” - Uncle Joe Stalin, upon recieving word of the Vatican’s disapproval of his policies. [/quote]

would that be good kind uncle joe who never wanted to do anything in the world until the evil US forced him to try and take over the whole damn thing?

Al, you bother me.
Go away.
Please.

He’s done all that, but considering he’s a religious figure and not really a political figure… Its somewhat out of context. He’s done major work to reunite the Church and build relationship with splinter groups.

[quote]Al Shades wrote:
“The Pope? How many divisions has he got?” - Uncle Joe Stalin, upon recieving word of the Vatican’s disapproval of his policies. [/quote]

There were days when the Pope essentially had divisions, and it’s too bad we’re not in them. You would be burned at the stake using the pages and pages of aggresively ignorant crap you’ve posted as kindling. Then again, as annoying as you are, I think the Pope could still get that done if he asked.

I was going to let other posters smack you around, but then you had to stick your nose where it didn’t belong and make fun of someone who has done more for humanity than your wildest dreams or those of the hacks to whom you are a faithful intellectual bottom.

People like you should have their air supply prorated according to how much of an ass they make of themselves.

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
Al Shades wrote:
“The Pope? How many divisions has he got?” - Uncle Joe Stalin, upon recieving word of the Vatican’s disapproval of his policies.

There were days when the Pope essentially had divisions, and it’s too bad we’re not in them. You would be burned at the stake using the pages and pages of aggresively ignorant crap you’ve posted as kindling. Then again, as annoying as you are, I think the Pope could still get that done if he asked.

I was going to let other posters smack you around, but then you had to stick you nose where it didn’t belong and make fun of someone who has done more for humanity than your wildest dreams or those of the hacks to whom you are a faithful intellectual bottom.

People like you should have their air supply prorated according to how much of an ass they make of themselves.

[/quote]

insert vid clip of me clapping here.
Nice.
What’s the phrase?

Burn!

Oh, and btw, you’re darn right the Pope could get that done if he wanted.
I’m there for him…!

“A faithful intellectual bottom.”

That’s priceless, d1esel! Thanks for the imagery there.

Anyway, I’m about as unCatholic as anybody can get, but maybe the world will be a poorer place after this guy is gone. I hope the new pope is at least half as good.

The vatican better make sure they keep M. Shiavo’s lawyer the hell away from the pope, or it’s gonna be lights out for him.

Better yet - it’s a damn good thing the pope didn’t have a feeding tube inserted in Florida.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The vatican better make sure they keep M. Shiavo’s lawyer the hell away from the pope, or it’s gonna be lights out for him.

Better yet - it’s a damn good thing the pope didn’t have a feeding tube inserted in Florida.[/quote]

Just couldn’t help yourself, could you RJ? Yep… bring him down to me, I’ll take him out back and “take care of him”, Florida feeding-tube style.

Just curious: If we’re so gung-ho about keeping people alive, why don’t we take some of those feeding tubes over to starving people in Africa where at least folks will appreciate them? I bet we could get some pretty long lines going for hungry people who want to be fed.

exactly. vacuous and ineffective.

at least mother teressa got down and actually helped people, whereas high ranking religious leaders or figureheads do little in real terms.

as far as sticking to his guns, or standing by his family, this is no big deal, and should be expected, not resepcted by any man.

Either way, he is off, our TV’s will be full of “that man was great”. I, however, believe someone like isambard kingdom brunel was great, he had accomplishments. The pope just makes some passing comments. Even bono (u2)has done more to affect change.

[quote]miniross wrote:
. Even bono (u2)has done more to affect change.[/quote]

you’re killing yourself here.