Pope Criminalizes Leaks, Sex Abuse

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]storey420 wrote:
I guess I don’t see how criminalizing leaks at all or to a greater extent is a good thing. We’re not talking about national security here. [/quote]

Because of confidentiality agreements. Be it finances or whatever. Cooperating with whatever law enforcement applies is one thing, leaking is another.
[/quote]

Seems strange to me. Seems like a biblical organization would heed the good book and put the sin first not punishing the witness. Leviticus 5:1

“And if a soul sins, and hears the voice of an oath, and is a witness, whether he has seen or known of it; if he does not tell of it, then he shall bear his iniquity.”[/quote]

Well if we are getting biblical:

“When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? (1 Corinthians 6:1-4, ESV)”[/quote]

I mean I’m assuming here but wouldn’t the leak to outsiders be the case because you either feared reprisal or dismissal (burying the info) from your colleagues? Either way what kind of message does it send to you as a Catholic that the top leader of your organization wants stiffer penalties on people that out pedophiles? [/quote]

No one outed pedophiles, they were already outed and being punished. The abusers were being taken care of and the VatiLeaks even proved that to a large extent. What they did at the same time was expose victims and other laity to media scrutiny that should have never been brought to light.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]storey420 wrote:
I guess I don’t see how criminalizing leaks at all or to a greater extent is a good thing. We’re not talking about national security here. [/quote]

Because of confidentiality agreements. Be it finances or whatever. Cooperating with whatever law enforcement applies is one thing, leaking is another.
[/quote]

Seems strange to me. Seems like a biblical organization would heed the good book and put the sin first not punishing the witness. Leviticus 5:1

“And if a soul sins, and hears the voice of an oath, and is a witness, whether he has seen or known of it; if he does not tell of it, then he shall bear his iniquity.”[/quote]

Well if we are getting biblical:

“When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? (1 Corinthians 6:1-4, ESV)”[/quote]

I mean I’m assuming here but wouldn’t the leak to outsiders be the case because you either feared reprisal or dismissal (burying the info) from your colleagues? Either way what kind of message does it send to you as a Catholic that the top leader of your organization wants stiffer penalties on people that out pedophiles? [/quote]

No one outed pedophiles, they were already outed and being punished. The abusers were being taken care of and the VatiLeaks even proved that to a large extent. What they did at the same time was expose victims and other laity to media scrutiny that should have never been brought to light.[/quote]

That’s good to know. Given the church’s history of either not acting or dragging their feet with dealing with offenders it is nice to see the Pope really trying to turn that around. How does one see the letters and know that the offenders are already dealt with?

[quote]storey420 wrote:

I agree. That’s despicable.