Poorman's Diet

I am a college student with a limited budget. I am curious about any economical nutrition options my fellow T-Members might know of

EX:
-Good Proteins
-Good Fats
-Complex Carbs
-Best Bang-For-Your-Buck Supplements

I already know about:
-PB and J Sandwiches
-Spaghetti
-Canned Tuna
-Sardines
-Brown Rice

***Any POORMAN PROTEIN SHAKE Recepies
***Things to BOOST us poor people’s IMMUNE SYSTEMS

The best things for me are eggs and cheap chicken. After that I look for deals on other meats in bulk or on some closeout deal.(99 cent/lb ground beef the other day). A Sam’s Club just opened up near my school and I couldn’t be happier.

I’m a big fan of turkey chili. With or without beans, it gives a good amount of protein and fiber and minimal fat. Only problem is in most brands there is a bit of sugar added.

[quote]JackedUp wrote:
I am a college student with a limited budget. I am curious about any economical nutrition options my fellow T-Members might know of[/quote]

Spend an hour at the grocery store, read some labels, get out the calculator, and figure it out yourself.

That’s what I did while in college, and it worked well for me.

Read “school days I and II” By Steve Berardi they will help a ton

Phill

-Value sized bags of frozen vegetables (not peas and corn). Not only are they cheap but they’re already prewashed and chopped. And you can find most of your basic veggies frozen; broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, greens, okra, green beans, onion, sweet peppers… Get what you can’t find frozen fresh. Sweet potatos are good to keep you healthy, tons of vit C. Not yams though, go figure.

-Value sized bags of frozen fruits (especially blueberries, blackberries and strawberries for your immune system).
-Value sized frozen meats. Its hard to find lean beef in large quantities so go with chicken or drain the fat off the beef when cooking.
-Find a store that sells dried beans, lentils, grains, nuts and seeds in bulk and get a shitload at a time. I store my bulk in empty glass peanut butter jars. I have one of those huge 3 gallon pickle jars full on quinoa.
-And lots of milk, lots of eggs.

Frozen fruits, yogurt, peanut butter and whey make a tasty WO shake.

Good proteins:
Dairy (eggs, low fat milk-preferably chocolate, since it speeds recovery), lean meats (chicken breast, turkey and fish), Legumes

Good fats:
Canola oil, Avocados, Olive oil, Peanut oil and other nuts, Safflower oil, Sesame oil, Sunflower oil

For your omega 3’s, your sources can include anything that has cold water oily fish such as salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies and sardines, flaxseed oil, eggs, and even krill. Omega 6 can be found in cereals, whole-grain breads. most vegetable oils, eggs and poultry, and baked goods. Omega 9 can be found in animal fats and vegetable oils.

Complex carbs:
Stick to your potatoes (preferably sweet or baked), whole grain pasta and breads.

Things to boost your immune system:
Fruits and leafy vegetables.

All those above aren’t too pricey. Well, at least here they’re not.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
JackedUp wrote:

Spend an hour at the grocery store, read some labels, get out the calculator, and figure it out yourself.

[/quote]

Look Jackass, T-Nation is about pulling together everyone’s ideas. Like the age old saying goes,“Don’t Reinvent the wheel.”

If I wanted to just figure everything out myself, I wouldn’t be on this website in the first place.

Learn to utilize the knowledge of others. You save time this way. Plus, bouncing ideas back and forth makes everyone learn new things.

milks pretty cheap

[quote]JackedUp wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
JackedUp wrote:

Look Jackass, T-Nation is about pulling together everyone’s ideas. Like the age old saying goes,“Don’t Reinvent the wheel.”

If I wanted to just figure everything out myself, I wouldn’t be on this website in the first place.

Learn to utilize the knowledge of others. You save time this way. Plus, bouncing ideas back and forth makes everyone learn new things. [/quote]

You’re both right and both wrong. Yes the idea behind this place is sharing ideas. But CLaw is right that something as fundamental as feeding yourself should be something you need to figure out on your own.

If it’s recipes you are looking for, do a search on the board and you’ll come up with many. But if you just want a list of foods that fit into each of your categories and cheap ways of getting those foods, that’s a lot to ask. Do some of the leg work yourself or ask more specific questions.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CLaw is right that something as fundamental as feeding yourself should be something you need to figure out on your own. [/quote]

LOL!

Of course, cost-of-living matters, as well. Where I used to live, I could get a gallon of skim milk for $1.99. Where I now live, it’s $3.99. $2 is cheap for skim milk, $4 is not.

Avocadoes were expensive where I once lived. Where I now live, they are cheap. Etc.

Once the OP travels extend beyond living at home with his folks, he’ll realize that what’s cheap in one area is expensive in another. So asking for “cheap” food sources is not only lazy, but sort of stupid.

[quote]JackedUp wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
JackedUp wrote:

Learn to utilize the knowledge of others. You save time this way. Plus, bouncing ideas back and forth makes everyone learn new things. [/quote]

If, as your profile states, you’ve been training for 6 years and have 10% bf, you’d already know what food is “cheap” in your area.

Why lie?

eggs, milk, cottage cheese, oatmeal, rice, tuna, fruits, vegetables.

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill[/quote]

The School Days articles had great info in them. I feel I’ll be able to really utilize their tips.

Thanks Phill

I figured out a good on-the-go MP shake:

2 Scoops: Protein Powder (Protein)
1 Tbsp. : Olive Oil (Fat)
1 Cup : Pancake Powder (Carbs)

**Can Cut back on da Pancake Powder if you’re trying to watch da carbs

Carry it in a shaker (GNC Carries Em’)
**Just add water and Shake

Covers all the bases and doesn’t cost much

FAST FOOD FOR BODYBUILDERS!!

Large quantities of Chili can be made very inexpensively. You can even buy frozen 5 and 10 pound packages of ground beef very inexpensively.

Here’s the obligatory inclusion of Kuz’ Mom’s Chili Recipe, a very good one. I added a couple of tablespoons of Powdered Cayenne Pepper and used Garbanzo Beans rather than the white kidney beans in mine and it was great:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=724455

Milk,eggs,PB,chicken,salsa,wheat bread,steak,and tuna work for me.

pick veggies and fruits you like to eat,cause trying to force something down can be bad sometimes.For instance,I cannot eat squash.Everytime I take a bite I vomit.

Btw,that v8 tropical splash stuff is quite good,I have a glass ot two after a workout before I eat.

JackedUp wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
JackedUp wrote:

Learn to utilize the knowledge of others. You save time this way. Plus, bouncing ideas back and forth makes everyone learn new things.

If, as your profile states, you’ve been training for 6 years and have 10% bf, you’d already know what food is “cheap” in your area.

Why lie?[/quote]

Bouncing back&forth is called plyometrics.

[quote]JackedUp wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

The School Days articles had great info in them. I feel I’ll be able to really utilize their tips.

Thanks Phill

[/quote]

No prob prob glad they helped

Phill

JackedUp wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
JackedUp wrote:

Why lie?[/quote]

HA! The OP seems like a bit of a turd.