Poor Man's Guide to Shopping

Yeah I should definitely try mackerel too, thanks

Warning on the mackerel: it smalls EXTREMELY FISHY. You need to really like fish a lot if you’re going to eat it, as well as either live alone or with very allowing neighbors/significant others (if you think I’m joking…) (EDIT: when I say fishy, I mean like it puts tinned salmon to absolute shame.).

As to too much pro, I eat very low carb, with most of my cals being fat and pro. I like that mackerel and salmon are very close to a 50/50 ratio, which I then bolster with pro powder to up the ratio toward pro a bit.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Warning on the mackerel: it smalls EXTREMELY FISHY. You need to really like fish a lot if you’re going to eat it, as well as either live alone or with very allowing neighbors/significant others (if you think I’m joking…) (EDIT: when I say fishy, I mean like it puts tinned salmon to absolute shame.).

As to too much pro, I eat very low carb, with most of my cals being fat and pro. I like that mackerel and salmon are very close to a 50/50 ratio, which I then bolster with pro powder to up the ratio toward pro a bit.[/quote]
So it’s one of those “leave the doors and windows open, try to ventilate as much as possible” smells? And with the diet is that year round or a cutting thing? I train avidly but I don’t do phasing or anything, but the majority of my diet is protein, and I probably don’t get enough fats.

[quote]NinjaLEO wrote:
So it’s one of those “leave the doors and windows open, try to ventilate as much as possible” smells? And with the diet is that year round or a cutting thing? I train avidly but I don’t do phasing or anything, but the majority of my diet is protein, and I probably don’t get enough fats.[/quote]

Um, I mean I guess it’s more just that the people you live with can either deal with fish smell or not. Not sure how much good ventilation is going to do. It’s a pretty powerful and pervasive smell, lol.

This is for bulking man. Here’s just an example of getting to 4k calories/day pretty affordably:

6 whole eggs
serving pb
a lot of veggies
1/2 can mackerel+whey
3 fish oils
~1000 cals or so

PWO:
16oz chicken breast
large white potato
veggies
1/2 can mackerel+whey
~1100 cals or so

couple hours later:
can mackerel or salmon +whey
~600-800 cals or so

couple of hours later:
either eggs+pb, can of mackerel+whey, or lean meat
some veggies
2 fish oils
~600-800 cals or so

couple of hours after that
veggies
12-16oz or so of lean meat
2 fish oils
~800 cals or so

and voila, you have roughly 4k cals in a day. Basically just whey, peanut butter, eggs, meat, and veggies. Oh, and a white potato.

Definitely thanks for that, I’ve bulked twice in my life and the first I made a ton of mistakes I’m gonna chalk up to youthful ignorance and the second I did using a mass gainer supp, it worked well I just prefer whole food as my energy source for everything. I’m currently a pretty lean 220 and I take in 2500 to 3000 cals a day but I’m still debating if I should try to gain some before and during my police academy, say getting to a lean 235. Nonetheless this is helpful so I appreciate it.

I down a can of mackerel almost every day at work. Office mates don’t seem to mind. It’s really tasty. Note that it doesn’t come in a chunk or flaked format, like tuna. It’s 3-4 mackerels just kinda packed in there sans the heads/tails. The bones are crunchy and, in my opinion, one of the best parts.

Thanks for the info H3

canned…salmon…mackerel? 0.0 maybe its has something to with me seeing a lot of fresh fish from living on the coast. but that sounds disgusting. i guess i might as well try it. but still…

Here’s my Chili recipe. Costs about 10 bucks to make 6 qts which can last a few days (if you’re only eat that, longer if you keep it 1 meal a day obviously).

5 cans hot chili beans (I just use kroger brand)
1 can tomato soup (again I use kroger brand, keeps it cheap)
1 large can whole tomatos
1 regular can whole tomatos or chili pepper tomatos
1.5 - 2 lbs beef
Chili Pepper
Red Pepper
Black Pepper
Salt
1 tbsp coco
1 tsp salt
Half white onion
3 tbsp minced garlic

Directions:
Get out a dutch oven and put it on the stove on medium heat. Pour a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in the pot to coat the bottom. Chop up the onion and throw that and the garlic into the pot and brown it. Once brown, add in the meat (tear off bits and pieces and throw it it to the pot, don?t just throw the whole block in. Flip the meat over and see that it?s mostly brown on all sides. Turn down the stove to low.

Start opening the cans of beans and putting them. While doing this, get a blender out and put the whole tomatos/chili tomatos in and puree them. Once in liquid form pour the mixture into the pot. Stir everything up.

Add in chili pepper:black pepper:red pepper in a ratio of 4:2:1. Add the salt in and the coco in. Mix it up. Cook for an hour on low (top off), stirring every 20 minutes or so. Let it sit overnight and congeal more. Eat every day. It?s glorious.