T Nation

Poor Mans Guide to Getting Strong and Huge

Thanks a lot man! I m a college student and really short of money. Do you think nuts and stuff like cottage cheese are a good addition?

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
Thanks a lot man! I m a college student and really short of money. Do you think nuts and stuff like cottage cheese are a good addition?[/quote]

nuts are defintly on the expensive side for the AMOUNT OF CALORIES YOU GET, cottage cheese seems OK…
i mostly highlighted the cheaper stuff, but if it fits your budget role with it.

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
Thanks a lot man! I m a college student and really short of money. Do you think nuts and stuff like cottage cheese are a good addition?[/quote]

You could substitute the PEANUT BUTTER for COTTAGE CHEESE as these are the super long lasting proteins in the mix here
which are good for late night snack

Cool post,

But isn’t this just a long winded ‘Eat and Lift’

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
does GSUbarbell stand for Georgia State University?[/quote]

Georgia southern University[/quote]

awe damn, I go to KSU

tuna here in our place comes in cheaper than red meat. plus its much safer than the chemically enchanced poultry. prices of supplements here in our place darn also sucks! we also have cheaper alternative brands but fake supps also have an issue here.

I have to add ‘lift consistently’ to this just in case it is missed. Better to lift consistently within your routine than stop-start. If your not consistent your wasting money, progress and time.

One way to help keep things consistent and cheap is by including some element of home bodyweight training. Add in some isometric holds mid-set if you need to make it heavier. I prefer going to the gym, but you have to be realistic. If you intend to go 4 times week, but are generally only making it 2 times, then make sure you plan accordingly. This also includes having strategies for exam times etc.

Also, see if you can trade your labor for gym membership. Ronnie Coleman moved to bodybuilding ‘against his will’ for the offer of free gym usage. I can’t imagine you getting this deal, but work experience cannot be a bad thing.

For food, porridge/oatmeal has got to be on my list. Rice, pasta and couscous are all cheap carbs and allow you to add a bit of variety.
I would also check which supermarkets have the discount fridge and when they fill it. The discount fridge is where you find food nearing the sell by date. The food there can cost a fraction. Go there on the right days/times and fill your freezer.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Cool post,

But isn’t this just a long winded ‘Eat and Lift’[/quote]

no you missed this thread completely, this is how to eat, and train ON A BUDGET
your lack of detail is what has so many misguided my friend

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
does GSUbarbell stand for Georgia State University?[/quote]

Georgia southern University[/quote]

awe damn, I go to KSU[/quote]
kennesaw state? i heard it is nice up there better than boring town down here, where fella spend all his money on drinking
and partying, no serious lifters, i have my own group of guys i work with, and guide through the whole process ranging from
powerlifting to bodybuilding to strongman

[quote]starofdavid5 wrote:
tuna here in our place comes in cheaper than red meat. plus its much safer than the chemically enchanced poultry. prices of supplements here in our place darn also sucks! we also have cheaper alternative brands but fake supps also have an issue here.[/quote]

I do not know where you are from, but red meat is greater than tuna, and tuna is very low in calories much lower in calories than a bag of chicken dollar for dollar where im from

i understand tuna…yes its cheap, but whos gonna eat pound of tuna every single day consistently for protein UNHEARD OF

^^^^^THAT IS GONNA CAUSE SOMEONE TO QUIT RIGHT THERE! Gotta predict human nature, and keep people true to diet, that is why i add in the ice cream, and peanut butter and jelly sandwhich to the list. GOING TO STRICT WILL…MAKE…PEOPLE…QUIT, and go to chips and dip

being practical and living a HALF NORMAL LIFE IS IMPORTANT part of my thread, steak chicken pork eggs many sources of protein to choose from to keep the bodybuilder happy

all this chemical enhanced stuff is overkill try buying grass fed beef its 5x THE FUCKING PRICE
good luck with that

[quote]naxis wrote:
I have to add ‘lift consistently’ to this just in case it is missed. Better to lift consistently within your routine than stop-start. If your not consistent your wasting money, progress and time.

One way to help keep things consistent and cheap is by including some element of home bodyweight training. Add in some isometric holds mid-set if you need to make it heavier. I prefer going to the gym, but you have to be realistic. If you intend to go 4 times week, but are generally only making it 2 times, then make sure you plan accordingly. This also includes having strategies for exam times etc.

Also, see if you can trade your labor for gym membership. Ronnie Coleman moved to bodybuilding ‘against his will’ for the offer of free gym usage. I can’t imagine you getting this deal, but work experience cannot be a bad thing.

For food, porridge/oatmeal has got to be on my list. Rice, pasta and couscous are all cheap carbs and allow you to add a bit of variety.
I would also check which supermarkets have the discount fridge and when they fill it. The discount fridge is where you find food nearing the sell by date. The food there can cost a fraction. Go there on the right days/times and fill your freezer. [/quote]

I can tell this isnt american type talk right here
you can save enough from switching from porridge to rice in a month for a membership
and seriously you have to add lifting consistently…THIS IS FUCKING BODYBUILDING THREAD AND YOU WANT TO REMIND PEOPLE TO LIFT ON A REGULAR BASIS ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
THAT IS A GIVEN

do not add this madness to a great place like TNATION

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]starofdavid5 wrote:
tuna here in our place comes in cheaper than red meat. plus its much safer than the chemically enchanced poultry. prices of supplements here in our place darn also sucks! we also have cheaper alternative brands but fake supps also have an issue here.[/quote]

I do not know where you are from, but red meat is greater than tuna, and tuna is very low in calories much lower in calories than a bag of chicken dollar for dollar where im from

i understand tuna…yes its cheap, but whos gonna eat pound of tuna every single day consistently for protein UNHEARD OF

^^^^^THAT IS GONNA CAUSE SOMEONE TO QUIT RIGHT THERE! Gotta predict human nature, and keep people true to diet, that is why i add in the ice cream, and peanut butter and jelly sandwhich to the list. GOING TO STRICT WILL…MAKE…PEOPLE…QUIT, and go to chips and dip

being practical and living a HALF NORMAL LIFE IS IMPORTANT part of my thread, steak chicken pork eggs many sources of protein to choose from to keep the bodybuilder happy

all this chemical enhanced stuff is overkill try buying grass fed beef its 5x THE FUCKING PRICE
good luck with that [/quote]

NO…IT…WON’T… DO…IT…ALL…THE…TIME… (this is kind of fun typing like a half tard)

Be interesting to see how this would change if there was no budget, and if it would at all?

to my ‘hard times’ table I can only add this:

oatmeal, rice, potatos
fat Quark or cottage cheese
eggs
liver cooked with onions (old school babe!)
lots of carrots and apples

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]starofdavid5 wrote:
tuna here in our place comes in cheaper than red meat. plus its much safer than the chemically enchanced poultry. prices of supplements here in our place darn also sucks! we also have cheaper alternative brands but fake supps also have an issue here.[/quote]

I do not know where you are from, but red meat is greater than tuna, and tuna is very low in calories much lower in calories than a bag of chicken dollar for dollar where im from

i understand tuna…yes its cheap, but whos gonna eat pound of tuna every single day consistently for protein UNHEARD OF

^^^^^THAT IS GONNA CAUSE SOMEONE TO QUIT RIGHT THERE! Gotta predict human nature, and keep people true to diet, that is why i add in the ice cream, and peanut butter and jelly sandwhich to the list. GOING TO STRICT WILL…MAKE…PEOPLE…QUIT, and go to chips and dip

being practical and living a HALF NORMAL LIFE IS IMPORTANT part of my thread, steak chicken pork eggs many sources of protein to choose from to keep the bodybuilder happy

all this chemical enhanced stuff is overkill try buying grass fed beef its 5x THE FUCKING PRICE
good luck with that [/quote]

NO…IT…WON’T… DO…IT…ALL…THE…TIME… (this is kind of fun typing like a half tard)[/quote]

^^^it is clear you are not with the program, You are a very little fella typing behind computer with no experience at all
EXCEPT EATING TUNA in very high amounts which is actually impressive to me, considering the taste of that shit.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Be interesting to see how this would change if there was no budget, and if it would at all?[/quote]

it would change some, to clean foods, like oatmeal, and past ect instead of rice
and nuts would be added in as well as some supplements, but this is a bulking plan
not a cutting clean eating plan 12 weeks out

[quote]siberian wrote:
to my ‘hard times’ table I can only add this:

oatmeal, rice, potatos
fat Quark or cottage cheese
eggs
liver cooked with onions (old school babe!)
lots of carrots and apples[/quote]

yes i have most of these, but carrots and apples are expensive for few claories you get, but if you must…

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Be interesting to see how this would change if there was no budget, and if it would at all?[/quote]

it would change some, to clean foods, like oatmeal, and past ect instead of rice
and nuts would be added in as well as some supplements, but this is a bulking plan
not a cutting clean eating plan 12 weeks out[/quote]

Pasta is cleaner than rice… don’t think so mate.

im from a third world country my friend. tropical, as one might say. we have a lot of fishes in here but again “mercury” may still be the issue. grass fed beef is not quite popular here. what i clearly know of grass fed animals are only the goats!lol. eggs too are quite cheaper and i guess we will just have to rely on these sources since supplements are quite expensive.

anyway, patience will really be a great virtue in this game. cheers to all iron lifters out there. “never let go - dan john”

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]GSUbarbell wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Be interesting to see how this would change if there was no budget, and if it would at all?[/quote]

it would change some, to clean foods, like oatmeal, and past ect instead of rice
and nuts would be added in as well as some supplements, but this is a bulking plan
not a cutting clean eating plan 12 weeks out[/quote]

Pasta is cleaner than rice… don’t think so mate. [/quote]

that is what you believe, and i have my own belief, both will work