Poor Man's Equipment Thread

hello guys,
i bought a set of plans off ebay for like five bucks. i think there great they show you how to make all kinds of home equipment out of lumber, diagrams measurements, parts list ,and all. it even can to my house printed up in easy to read pages.
you guys should look it up its worth it

ozzy

I’ll have to get a pic of it, but my sled is simply a piece of plywood with two holes cut in it and pulled with those things people use to tie down big ass boxes and shit like that.

I’ve been using it for nearly 2 yrs now and never had a problem.

For weight, I use various huge rocks…all of which I “found” at local parks.

[quote]ozwingchun wrote:
hello guys,
i bought a set of plans off ebay for like five bucks. i think there great they show you how to make all kinds of home equipment out of lumber, diagrams measurements, parts list ,and all. it even can to my house printed up in easy to read pages.
you guys should look it up its worth it

ozzy[/quote]

Ozzy,
do you remember who sold you the plans? I’ve been googling like crazy, and have only found 1 set of plans for 25$.

cheap fat bars !

cause i cant afford a set of fat bars i just take a 5 ft length of manilla rope to the gym and wrap it around the dumbells and barbells for fat bar work ! its cheap and gives my grip an awsome work out, its amazin how it improves your ability to lift more when you take the rope off !

[quote]Chiseller wrote:
cheap fat bars !

cause i cant afford a set of fat bars i just take a 5 ft length of manilla rope to the gym and wrap it around the dumbells and barbells for fat bar work ! its cheap and gives my grip an awsome work out, its amazin how it improves your ability to lift more when you take the rope off !
[/quote]

Go to a junkyard (bring an olympic plate with you to properly size), and find a good length of pipe. Cut to 7’, and put collars at 1’ and 6’. Then, add weight, apply outside collars. You now have a thickbar.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Chiseller wrote:
cheap fat bars !

Go to a junkyard (bring an olympic plate with you to properly size), and find a good length of pipe. Cut to 7’, and put collars at 1’ and 6’. Then, add weight, apply outside collars. You now have a thickbar.[/quote]

great idea but bearing in mind this is the poor mans thread.....i cant afford/scrounge olypic plates for home so i gave my standard golds bar to a mate of a mate and hes welding some 2.5" diamiter stainless pipe over the bar so i can use the trad plates i got for a song at a car boot sale :wink:

I am in the process of building my own bench out of a 2x12 and some 2x4’s if I didn’t already have the lumber I think it would probably cost me more than just going out and getting a newer used one!

I had a guy weld up a dip station he made it out of aluminum tubes; it was free!

Been trying to find a tractor tire but for some unkown reason its not very easy to do and I live in IOWA!! tractors are everywhere!!

I got mine by simply calling a tire shop and asking if they had any. They were thrilled to get rid of some.
Cost= $0

Forgot about this one…
Got myself a empty keg from one of the local bars. Went to Lowes and picked up “washer” w/ a rubber seal for next to nothing. Now I can fill that bad boy up with water (or whatever) and have at it!!

For a great versatile piece of equipment, try to find an old heavy bag (punching bag) at a yard sale or flea market. If you can find one in decent enough shape just give it a couple of wraps in duct tape, pull some of the old stuffing out and fill with as much sand as you want. Now you’ve got a sand bag for whatever uses you want, you can tie it to a low tree branch to use as a punching bag, and you can even do chinups/pullups on the branch. That’s about as versatile as it gets in my book.

It even works as a circuit. Do a round on the bag, chin/pull up to untie it, pick it up and run around for a bit, chin/pull with the bag to tie it back up, repeat (btw if you can actually do this, congratulations, you’re a badass.)

Thought I’d share a pic of the homemade glute ham raise I made. It’s adjustable on the front and up and down on the toe plate. The cool thing was no welding involved and plumbing pipe used for the foot part. It works great I weigh 255 and use this regularly. It’s sturdier than it looks.

Hope this pic comes through first time I’ve tried it.

Another thing to show. I took a tricep bar and took a hacksaw to it to make adjustable kettlebells for swinging. They work good, but it’s hard to make the weights stay on there. I have to screw it down tight. The only problem I have with them is the snatches where it has to rotate back on your wrist are not really possible with these.

In my garage:

A 22-pound sand-filled, duct-taped basketball for a med ball. It doesn’t stand up well to throwing, but i’m working of finding a better way to seal it.

I’ve been building an adjustable sandbag by filling up freezer bags, taping,etc. to toss into a military duffel I found for about $10. Not exactly a quick and easy process, but it’ll be worth it.

A 10-pound sledge and an old car/small truck tire I acquired from a junk pile. Which works for circular strength stuff, wrist and grip work, sledge work (of course), and I’ve been thinking of getting some thicker rope to use the tire for dragging.

A door frame pullup bar.

A cheap 300-pound Oly set with a few additional plates.

About 100-pounds worth of adjustable walmart dumbbells. The screw on kind…which are pretty annoying as they constantly loosen, but they work.

A $100 bench/squat stand and adj. bench set from Academy–which is really only good for allowing me to more easily get under the weight, not for safety.

A piece of PVC that I drilled a hole through and used some rope and plates to make into a wrist-roller.

One of those “Wave” whatever standing water-filled-base punching bags.

A jump rope.

A stopwatch and an interval timer.

A beat up old portable CD player.

Seems to do the trick, though I dont always use it all like I’d like to…but it was all pretty cheap, on sale, or free, otherwise I wouldn’t have it. Its probably about $500 worth of stuff over four years.

All I could ask for is a dip stand, an actual squat rack for safety (which would never fit in there anyway–as I have to pull the car out to use everything), and a better way to do pullups because my knees pretty much touch the ground.

[quote]rniel wrote:
Thought I’d share a pic of the homemade glute ham raise I made. It’s adjustable on the front and up and down on the toe plate. The cool thing was no welding involved and plumbing pipe used for the foot part. It works great I weigh 255 and use this regularly. It’s sturdier than it looks.

Hope this pic comes through first time I’ve tried it.[/quote]

THAT IS FREAKIN’ AWESOME!!!

[quote]Plisskin wrote:
In my garage:
I’ve been building an adjustable sandbag by filling up freezer bags, taping,etc. to toss into a military duffel I found for about $10. Not exactly a quick and easy process, but it’ll be worth it.

[/quote]
Might want to give carpenter clean-up bags a try. Not too expensive and a bit more durable than freezer bags.

[quote]rniel wrote:

Hope this pic comes through first time I’ve tried it.[/quote]

Must have more pics.

rniel; cool ghm! Lots of good ideas from others, as well. Plisskin; great idea for the adjustable sand bag even though I’ve heard it before, just haven’t gotten around to it. Got a free tractor tire from a used tractor dealer. Free tires from the local tire shop (building a striking dummy).

Free keg from my dad that he bought at a garage sale for a little of nothing. At an auction I bought a plate loaded pulldown machine made by Champion Barbell for 40.00 (over $400 new). Would’ve been cheaper if another guy wasn’t trying to outbid me.

Also a decline benchpress for $5 and a plate loaded neck machine for $5. I’ve built a lot of equipment out of 2" square tubing for a fraction of the cost of commercially built stuff with a chop saw, welder and grinder. If you have never welded, ask a buddy who can.

I’ll post some pics of some of this stuff if you guys want.

[quote]worker wrote:
Plisskin wrote:
In my garage:

Might want to give carpenter clean-up bags a try. Not too expensive and a bit more durable than freezer bags.

[/quote]

Gracias…I’ll have to look for those…i’ve seen them referenced before.

Here’s an up close picture of the toe plate part.

Here’s the pad part. It’s just a bunch of pieces of plywood cut into half circle shapes then glued and screwed together. It has support from underneath on the base so it won’t come apart.