Poor Bicep Strength

I am by no means super strong but I have a decent level of strength
405 deadlift 315 squat 200 axle push press but I am embarrased to admit by bicep strength stinks!

when doing reps I ussaly only have about 60lbs on the bar, or 35lb dumbells, somedays I have to use 30lb dumbells, my biceps always seem to fatigue real quickly. I will almost certainly have to drop weight by my 3rd set of 10 reps.

I am short at just under 5’7 and have short arms, do I have bad leverages for this lift?

“big guns” is not the focus of my training by any means I train for strongman but I fell like a frat boy curling the bar with some 10s on the side, lol…
thanks for the help.

Not so long ago, my bicep strength was terrible in relation to everything else. I was using 100lbs for sets for curls. Fast forward a year, and I hit 200 x 2.

Just did a mix of low (1-3) and medium (4-6) reps…used chains, bands, heavy weight…basically treated it like any other strength movement.

Could be poor leverages, but when in your program are you doing them? If they are coming last after you’ve worked yourself out it’s likely that your focus isn;t going to be 100% while working them.

I’d pick a non-pulling day and put 'em before any other exercise on that day. That way you are fresh,can focus and it oughtn’t to affect the poundages on the other exercises. Then work them you usual day in the usual place among the exercise list as well.

I’ll bet you’ll be able to put another set of 10’s on the bar in a short while…

I have same problem ,wat i did was get a bar and curl it at home. and really hit them.

I have a similar problem, however I found that if I focused on curls primarily for bicep development I had little results.

So I started focusing on the compound movements for biceps, such as t-bar rows and chin ups. Putting as much weight into the lift as possible staying in the 5 rep range, then I supplement this with curls. I’m pretty noob, but it seems to have made quite a dramatic difference over the past few months.

We are almost the same height, maybe that has something to do with this issue.

HOw many pullups can you do? how much can you row?

[quote]Konstantine wrote:
HOw many pullups can you do? how much can you row?[/quote]

I can do about 4-6 pullups sometimes I can get 8-10 if I am rested.

I can fairly easily do 1 arm rows with 100lb DB’s for reps 3x8

I can rack pull from above the knees mid 500’s

I think my back strength overpowers my biceps in most pulls.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:

Just did a mix of low (1-3) and medium (4-6) reps…used chains, bands, heavy weight…basically treated it like any other strength movement.[/quote]

Yes. Curl heavy. Simple but it works.

[quote]ChuckyT wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:

Just did a mix of low (1-3) and medium (4-6) reps…used chains, bands, heavy weight…basically treated it like any other strength movement.

Yes. Curl heavy. Simple but it works.[/quote]

I’ll give it a try, the one thing is lactic acid or something seems to build up quick in my arms.
I also get wrist pain when doing curls sometimes when I start to use heavier loads. I think ths is becuase I have small wrists, To many crashes racing motorcross and the rest of my training puts alot of stress on them (Axle clean and push press, etc)
Should I start doing some wrist rollers and lever bar work?

ditto on heavy curls. I know it’s unorthodox, but I introduced ME work for biceps (standing barbell curl) and triceps (weighted dips) and it did wonders for my arm strength

as for wrist pain, I used to get that and it just eventually went away. try other variations of curls though, wider grip, etc.

what i did was do a set of real heavy weights for about 5 reps then go down to weight that i know i can do 3x8, i’m curling 15lbs more than i was about a month ago so must have odne something… its w.e works for youe veryone is diff

I think I underestimated my #s becuase i always did my curls last.

I did them first yesterday and did 85lb for 2 sets of 5 with a straight bar.

Thanks for the tips

[quote]KO421 wrote:
ChuckyT wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:

I’ll give it a try, the one thing is lactic acid or something seems to build up quick in my arms.
I also get wrist pain when doing curls sometimes when I start to use heavier loads. I think ths is becuase I have small wrists, To many crashes racing motorcross and the rest of my training puts alot of stress on them (Axle clean and push press, etc)
[/quote]

Wrist strengthening exercises would defintely help, just don’t overdo it and hamper your recovery. You can wear wrist wraps if the pain gets unbearable. It might sound silly, but it’s better than getting hurt or not doing the work.

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
KO421 wrote:
ChuckyT wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:

Wrist strengthening exercises would defintely help, just don’t overdo it and hamper your recovery. You can wear wrist wraps if the pain gets unbearable. It might sound silly, but it’s better than getting hurt or not doing the work.[/quote]

I was just planing on throwing in 1 exerisce per week for about 3 sets. My forearms/wrists already get plenty of work/stress from farmers walks, axle clean and press, deadlifts, etc.

I will admit I have worn my wraps doing curls before and will do again any time it is limiting my training. One of the times I am glad I work out at home!