T Nation

Polyphasic Sleep Doesn't Work Well

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/polyphasic-sleep-the-return-to-monophasic/

The guy who was trying polyphasic sleep terminated his experiment and went back to a normal sleep pattern.
Conclusion: polyphasic sleep per se works fine, it even doesn't seem to interfere with working out, but it's annoying for social reasons.

Note: Polyphasic sleep = take 30 minutes naps every 4 hours (i.e. 6 times a day, total 3 hours of sleep / 24hr) instead of a normal 6...7 hours continuous sleep..

There is a guy that does 20 every 4-5 hours. Been on it for 6 months now. He tried moving up to 30 minutes and said it was terrible.

I'll try to find the link.

I've also heard of more 4 hours 2x a day.

Maybe he should have watched the Seinfeld episode where Kramer tries something like this...

That's probally where he got the idea.

Leonardo De Vinci was rumoured to have done this.

I did something like this in the Army (not by choice either). We basically moved around for 4 straight days and nights, only sleeping when we stopped, which lasted anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour. I don't recommend it.

DB

Wouldn't you slowly go insane after awhile, being deprived of R.E.M. sleep?

The guy who still does it enters REM sleep almost right after he hits the pillow.

At that rate He'd still manage 2 hours of REM Sleep. Not sure what the average is for everything else. He has pulled it off and still swears by it though.

No shit? I didn't know that was even possible.

Holy shit. I'd love to try this.

The main thing I'd personally worry about with it is how would working out work?

Seems like a really bad idea for that...

From what Ive read about it, you basically train your body to immediately enter REM sleep. The 20 to 30 minutes you get is enough to provide you with a boost for the next few hours. However the reports and logs I read on it said after the few hours is up you basically become a Zombie, It felt the same as going 18 - 22 hours after a normal nights sleep.

The guy I read got so good at it he could sleep sitting up at his work desk without a timer and would just pop right up after 20 - 25 minutes.