Poll Results by Bodypart

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Nice job.

Who were the people you asked? [/quote]

Since you posted in it, I’m assuming you’ve been drinking to much german beer recently LOL[/quote]

I was mostly wondering because pull-ups won the “overall back”-round. That kind of threw me off and made me think "did he ask the crowd in the “article comments”-section as well? Same for dips… We don’t see too many big triceps on here as it is (certainly FAR fewer than big biceps), so the result sounded suspiciously like people repeating what they read in the articles (as you sort of noted) :slight_smile:

Then you get the standing mil press… Most of the guys with big shoulders on here don’t seem to be using them, so I was thinking “huh?” (then again, that word sums up my thoughts most of the time, so yeah).

Also, I do not need to drink (and pay for) lots of beer in order to appear like a drunken idiot.
I’m always like that. It’s a gift.

Shut up.

Nice job.

Since you posted in it, I’m assuming you’ve been drinking to much german beer recently LOL[/quote]

I was mostly wondering because pull-ups won the “overall back”-round. That kind of threw me off and made me think "did he ask the crowd in the “article comments”-section as well? Same for dips… We don’t see too many big triceps on here as it is (certainly FAR fewer than big biceps), so the result sounded suspiciously like people repeating what they read in the articles (as you sort of noted) :slight_smile:

Then you get the standing mil press… Most of the guys with big shoulders on here don’t seem to be using them, so I was thinking “huh?” (then again, that word sums up my thoughts most of the time, so yeah).

Also, I do not need to drink (and pay for) lots of beer in order to appear like a drunken idiot.

Shut up.

[/quote]

Well it was a BB forum thread, I think we would definitely get different results on the same poll in say, the alpha forum. Also the emphasis was on “strong” in the original thread I believe, which I would think slightly changes some of the movements people might list.

[quote]red04 wrote:

Nice job.

Shut up.

[/quote]

Well it was a BB forum thread, I think we would definitely get different results on the same poll in say, the alpha forum. Also the emphasis was on “strong” in the original thread I believe, which I would think slightly changes some of the movements people might list.
[/quote]

I think a lot of people just put down what they thought made them seem hardcorez and what they thought other people wanted to hear.

I mean if I was to use any of the 5+ gyms I’ve lifted in as a sample, I would say roughly 25% of the posters here (BB’ing forum) actually squat. With about 5% going anywhere remotely close to \.

But maybe this place is where all the outliers are? I don’t know.

Nice job.

Shut up.

[/quote]

That’s exactly what I thought. Too many people regurgitating the same thing they read and not what they actually do!

Well, we did after all get DSE’s and Pinwheels to place, so all’s good as far as I’m concerned. Just those few points where one of my eyebrows rose all the way to the back of my head :smiley:

This was very much a popularity contest, reflecting how everyone is influenced via the info primarily from this site (hence the high placings of pull-ups and dips IMO).

Still, as a general guide for what people believe works, its not a bad list…obviously the shake weight is notable omission that should be up there :slight_smile:

Let’s not make it out like dips and pullups are bad exercises either, there could be much worse things that people voted for, maybe they aren’t what you expect voted for best back/tricep movements, but they’re good exercises that nobody can really go wrong keeping around in their workouts(unless you have some elbow issues!)

Or AC joint problems.

People wouldn’t be doing them if they were bad, probably why they’re so popular, they obviously work for people.

I didn’t even include rack-chins in the pull-up count (consider them a different exercise).

I’m just surprised they still came out that popular.

I thought rack pulls would rate higher in back, bent leg deads would crush everything else for back and overall, CGBP would destroy dips for triceps, incline DB press would rate closer to flat bench for chest, and did not think at all that standing press variations were so popular.

This is the complete back list with % of total votes for back exercises only.

Pull ups 23.56
BL Deads 22.99
DB Row 13.79
Bar Rows 9.20
Rack Pulls 7.47
T-Bar Row 6.90
Rack Chin 4.60
Shrugs 4.02
Cable Rows 2.30
HS Iso Row 1.72
Lat Pulldowns 1.72
Snatch Grip Dead 1.15
Rear Flies 0.57

Rear Flies 0.57

[/quote]

Why I voted for these:

When I was trying to get my bench up and hitting chest 2-3 times a week my shoulders started aching. I started doing rear flies 2-3 times a weak and getting stronger on those, my shoulders stopped aching and my bench moved again…

So before you guys call me a nancy. I owe a lot of comfort to these bad boys.

When you keep saying bent leg deads do you mean like… conventional full range deadlifts, or RDLs? I have a hard time thinking ANYONE would put RDL’s very high on their back list, but don’t think I’ve ever heard of conventional deads as ‘bent leg.’(even then, from personal experience I still consider DL’s to be a posterior chain movement first, and back 2nd, but I guess I could be in the minority there)

I was personally surprised that BB Rows were as low as they were, maybe those+t-bars should’ve been put together since they’re pretty damn close to being the same movement with different grips.

So, the results show that people are doing the basic, bang-for-your-buck things that work that have always worked and still work?

Unpossible!

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Rear Flies 0.57

[/quote]

Why I voted for these:

When I was trying to get my bench up and hitting chest 2-3 times a week my shoulders started aching. I started doing rear flies 2-3 times a weak and getting stronger on those, my shoulders stopped aching and my bench moved again…

So before you guys call me a nancy. I owe a lot of comfort to these bad boys.[/quote]

Nancy

[quote]red04 wrote:
When you keep saying bent leg deads do you mean like… conventional full range deadlifts, or RDLs? I have a hard time thinking ANYONE would put RDL’s very high on their back list, but don’t think I’ve ever heard of conventional deads as ‘bent leg.’(even then, from personal experience I still consider DL’s to be a posterior chain movement first, and back 2nd, but I guess I could be in the minority there)

I was personally surprised that BB Rows were as low as they were, maybe those+t-bars should’ve been put together since they’re pretty damn close to being the same movement with different grips.[/quote]

1st bit - yes, bent leg deads = normal deads. Just the way my mind works since I prescribe and use SLDL and RDLs quite a bit…sorry.

I did think about combining T-bar and barbell rows, and they are similar, but I do feel that the grip does distinguish them quite nicely.

People are usually quite passionate about T-bar rows as being special, so I kept them alone.

Excellent work GG. I think the list of the top three Bicep moves would be a great total Bicep workout. This just goes to show that folks listen, think, then do what they want. For the record I have always had great success with the Bench Press and Dips. Cannot endorse pullups/chins over pulldown style movements though. This should be a must read for newbs.