Poll: Exercises Per Session?

Splits and exercise selection aside, how many different exercises do you guys hit per workout?

I’m usually in the ballpark of 4-6. Just curious if that’s the norm amongst T-Nation readers.

4 exercises per workout
Six workouts per week

5-7

2 exercises per body part but i hit every muscle group twice a week so the week end total would be 4

6-7 total
3 per body part
And I’ll throw somethin in for calves or whatever.

5-8

6-8

7 exersices. 1 of them is a ab movment i train each session.
4 workouts a week.

Depends on what body part and how strong i feel. Even though i may only train 4 exercises, i may have as many as 8 or 9 sets.

6 exercises per workout and 4 workouts per week.

If I could get away with it - 1.

Usually it’s 3-4… I’m generally toast after 3.

2 exercises pbp. 3 warm-up sets with 2 working sets per exercise. I’m a big believer in more frequency and less volume. Work hard enough on the first 2 exercises and you won’t have enough in you to do 3.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[/quote]

That seems low. What are your sets like? What is your split between compound and isolation?

I’m normally in the 6-7 range.

3-6

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

That seems low. What are your sets like? What is your split between compound and isolation?

I’m normally in the 6-7 range.[/quote]

I could force myself to do 6 exercises in a session or more, but those later in that session are going to suffer. I don’t include more exercises unless I 1) can do them justice and 2) there’s an actual reason for me to do them. I don’t see the point of doing, say, 4-5 back exercises in a single workout, or in trying to train the whole body in one day or some such.

That’s just me, of course. Always had much better strength gains whenever I concentrated on getting as strong as possible as fast as possible in ~2 main exercises per major muscle-group.

DoubleDuce wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

I could force myself to do 6 exercises in a session or more, but those later in that session are going to suffer. I don’t include more exercises unless I 1) can do them justice and 2) there’s an actual reason for me to do them. I don’t see the point of doing, say, 4-5 back exercises in a single workout, or in trying to train the whole body in one day or some such.

That’s just me, of course. Always had much better strength gains whenever I concentrated on getting as strong as possible as fast as possible in ~2 main exercises per major muscle-group.
[/quote]

I thought you were a DC guy, training 5 lifts per day?

DoubleDuce wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[/quote]

I give myself plenty of time off. and some of my exercises are speed work. the last one is generally a “finisher”. Maybe I should just read your how do you train thread.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I thought you were a DC guy, training 5 lifts per day?[/quote]

I used to. (it’s 3 days per week only, though)

Can’t do that with what little equipment I have available now, you need 3 exercises per muscle-group for a DC rotation + 2-3 good extra ones to fall back to if you stall on your primaries.

Got through DC ok, fatigue tends to really creep up on you over the course of a blast though due to the RP and so on…

And you get stronger (and heavier, so you gotta do some cardio or you’ll get gassed during your sessions) fast, so at some point you’re thinking "great, inclines with 370-400 for 12-20RP followed by v-squat push presses with 750-900 lb for 12-20RP, followed by In-Human presses with 405+ lb for 12-20RP, followed by weighted pullups for 15-30RP, followed by rack pulls (knee level in my case, I’ve got shortish arms compared to the rest of me) with scap retraction after lockout for 6-8 with 750 or whatever plus 9-12 with 600+… Plus I didn’t mention all the grueling weighted stretches, and shoulder prehab plus maybe ab work.
The weighted hanging lat stretch usually had my hands going numb by the 1 minute mark or so and you feel 5 inches taller afterwards.

You get the point.

I don’t understand why people call DC low volume. The stretches alone kind of double the workload.

Nowadays, the 2-way would probably kill me…

The bi+leg day is ok, usually, though the widow is never pleasant to say the least, and I hate most good hamstring movements with a passion (sumo deads, PL GM’s… :slight_smile:

Once my equipment situation resolves itself, I’m going to go on the 3-way instead, or maybe even that maintenance/old-guy 5(I think)-way split Dante’s mentioned a while ago and cut while I’m at it…

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I give myself plenty of time off. and some of my exercises are speed work. the last one is generally a “finisher”. Maybe I should just read your how do you train thread.[/quote]

You got a log somewhere?