Poll: Austin vs. San Antonio

[quote]calebsmitty wrote:
I love the Austin Area, not necessarily Austin. It is so damn congested now days I try to avoid it. I’m from Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio just reminds me of the Valley.

Give me the hill country anytime. It almost doesn’t matter which town or city just hills. So Austin would win.

My favorite cities: Concan, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels. [/quote]

Amen.

Never thought I would ever say this in my life, but I live on the burbs of Houston, south side and I love it here.

Granted I never have to go into Houston unless I want to for an event or something.

Dallas–perfect mix of city and “spread-out”; more business opportunities than Austin for professionals in my field (hence why I prefer it in that regard).

And let’s be honest: Houston sucks.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Dallas–perfect mix of city and “spread-out”; more business opportunities than Austin for professionals in my field (hence why I prefer it in that regard).

And let’s be honest: Houston sucks.[/quote]

Again, I have been in Texas for 30 years and I said Houston sucks forever when I did not live here.

I changed my mind after living here 3 years.

Traveling through Houston sucks yes but it does have good stuff.

Austin is definitely considered to be the hip, progressive city of Texas (that may be a pro or a con to you.) And the culture there is generally pretty fit, outdoorsy and athletic. Gotta love a city with a spring-fed pool in the middle of town (Barton Springs Pool). Great for music and food as well. SXSW is held there.

San Antonio has the River Walk, fun for a 2-3 day stay, though I suppose its appeal would wear off if you lived there (crowded with tourists.) I usually just stay right on the River Walk and seldom leave that area. If you have kids, there’s Sea World, the zoo, and a couple of amusement parks.

I wouldn’t want to live in Fredericksburg. I’ve had my fill of smaller Texas towns. But it’s great for a quaint day trip. The wine and beer is awesome, and my wife loves the art community there. Fun on the weekends when it’s full of bicyclists and bikers. Good place for a bed and breakfast stay.

DFW is great. Fort Worth has the old school Texas cowboy city feel and Dallas has everything else. It’s spread out, but you’re never without something to do, from culture to nightlife to concerts to amusement parks to pro sports to giant malls. I like the Addison area for weekend getaways.

Spent some time in Houston as a kid. No desire to go back although I’m sure it has its bright spots.

Well lets just say there is Texas

and then it all goes down hill from there.

Hell, I thought my only two choices were Austin or San Antonio.

I pick Gruene.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Hell, I thought my only two choices were Austin or San Antonio.

I pick Gruene.[/quote]

I still can’t understand for the life of me why even locals pronounce it “Green.” Neu Braunfels becoming New Braunfels? I understand. But it’s “Gruen” dammit.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

and shit all runs down hill to there.[/quote]

fixed

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]calebsmitty wrote:
I love the Austin Area, not necessarily Austin. It is so damn congested now days I try to avoid it. I’m from Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio just reminds me of the Valley.

Give me the hill country anytime. It almost doesn’t matter which town or city just hills. So Austin would win.

My favorite cities: Concan, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels. [/quote]

Amen. [/quote]

Have you guys been to Boerne? The Cypress Grill on Main Street is a great place to eat.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

fixed[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

fixed[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks! I feel like I’m number one also.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

fixed[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks! I feel like I’m number one also.
[/quote]

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Yep and who all died in that movie?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Yep and who all died in that movie?[/quote]

a whole bunch of Vietnamese people, GET SOME…

But seriously, Austin seems like a pretty cool place. Would love to catch the F1 race there.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
[/quote]
Yep and who all died in that movie?[/quote]

a whole bunch of Vietnamese people, GET SOME…

But seriously, Austin seems like a pretty cool place. Would love to catch the F1 race there. [/quote]

Little sister and brother in law live in Austin.

Brother lives south of San Antonio

Doogie and I have burned down both towns in our youth.

Now I like to visit but would not like to live in either

Don’t really post anymore, but this thread caught my eye, so here’s my take:

Austin used to be cool, but had since been overrun by a bunch of transplants who heard how great it was and ruined it. What was once a small (ish), Bohemian, funky, musically driven, charming town is now littered with Starbucks and Panera breads. There seems to be nothing but douchebag college kids, gutter punks, yuppies and faux elitists living there, all of whom drag the place down. Not to mention that their freeways were built for a town of 150,000 and there’s now almost 800,000 living in the city proper, and it’s expensive as hell to live there.

San Antone is a hidden gem, which is funny 'cause it’s actually considerably larger than both Dallas and Fort Worth, though not the two combined. The River Walk is strictly for tourists. There’s TONS to do in SA, and it can be done at a fraction of the cost of Austin. The city itself is really pretty with tons of history and old architecture melded with modern designs.

I’ve spent time both places and lived in Austin. Born, raised, and currently still in Houston, but if the opportunity to move to either place fell in my lap I’d jump headfirst at SA.

Hope this helped.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Don’t really post anymore, but this thread caught my eye, so here’s my take:

Austin used to be cool, but had since been overrun by a bunch of transplants who heard how great it was and ruined it. What was once a small (ish), Bohemian, funky, musically driven, charming town is now littered with Starbucks and Panera breads. There seems to be nothing but douchebag college kids, gutter punks, yuppies and faux elitists living there, all of whom drag the place down. Not to mention that their freeways were built for a town of 150,000 and there’s now almost 800,000 living in the city proper, and it’s expensive as hell to live there.

San Antone is a hidden gem, which is funny 'cause it’s actually considerably larger than both Dallas and Fort Worth, though not the two combined. The River Walk is strictly for tourists. There’s TONS to do in SA, and it can be done at a fraction of the cost of Austin. The city itself is really pretty with tons of history and old architecture melded with modern designs.

I’ve spent time both places and lived in Austin. Born, raised, and currently still in Houston, but if the opportunity to move to either place fell in my lap I’d jump headfirst at SA.

Hope this helped.[/quote]
Where you been?

You to good for some of us any more?

Haha, what’s up D? Just been living life man, and plain just got tired of all the negative/ridiculous bullshit that goes on here. Still occasionally check some threads, just don’t really feel the need to post. Hope all is well bud.