Politically Mixed Marriage Ethics

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
IF neither of you are so rigid in your ideas that you can’t be respectful and see the other’s point of view.
[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t see why you can’t be absolutely rigid and can’t be respectful and see the other’s point of view.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
IF neither of you are so rigid in your ideas that you can’t be respectful and see the other’s point of view.
[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t see why you can’t be absolutely rigid and can’t be respectful and see the other’s point of view.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t see why you can’t be absolutely rigid and can’t be respectful and see the other’s point of view.[/quote]

Put it this way. My parents belong to different political parties. When Dad ran for office in 2008, my mom went down and changed her political affiliation so she could vote for him in the primaries. Voting for the right person was more important to her than party. It’s an example of respect and some intellectual flexibility, I think. Both of my parents are very politically informed and involved. Mom frequently writes letters and give donations to causes and candidates she supports. Dad decided to get involved in public service when he retired. I’m really, really proud of him for stepping up.

Both my parents will occasionally cross party lines. For my dad, that seems to be happening more frequently as he’s a Democrat, but is much more moderate and fiscally conservative than our current president. I admire his intellectual flexibility, especially since he’s in his mid-70’s now. He thinks a lot about the issues and the economics involved. They taught me that you vote for an idea or a person, not a party.

On the other hand, it was a joke in the family that my grandmother was Democrat first, Southern Baptist second. That was saying something, because she was quite a church lady. :slight_smile: She voted straight Democratic ticket every time. The thinking was done. We all know people like that. Zealous affiliation with their political party, almost like rooting for their team in the Superbowl. It makes it easier than actually being informed about the issues and the people.

^Superbowl voters are highly irritating, no doubt.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Wow.

It would be pretty close to grounds for divorce if my wife purposely didn’t send it in.

Who cares about the election; such a spouse has absolutely no respect for you.[/quote]

True.

My best friend is a Democrat, and her husband is Republican. They frequently cancel each other out at the polling booth. One year we asked them why they didn’t just agree to both stay home. They laughed and she said “No Way! I couldn’t trust him to not sneak out and vote!” Funny, but I think they were a little bit serious.

Still, telling someone to their face that you’d mail their ballot and then not doing it because you wanted to “do the right thing” is pretty out there on the ethical reasoning scale.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Wow.

It would be pretty close to grounds for divorce if my wife purposely didn’t send it in.

Who cares about the election; such a spouse has absolutely no respect for you.[/quote]

True.

My best friend is a Democrat, and her husband is Republican. They frequently cancel each other out at the polling booth. One year we asked them why they didn’t just agree to both stay home. They laughed and she said “No Way! I couldn’t trust him to not sneak out and vote!” Funny, but I think they were a little bit serious.

Still, telling someone to their face that you’d mail their ballot and then not doing it because you wanted to “do the right thing” is pretty out there on the ethical reasoning scale.
[/quote]
I think sneaking out and voting would be annoying though dishonest while blatantly preventing a partner from accessing his or her rights while being dishonest is seriously disrespectful, selfish and immature. I see a huge line in the sand.