Political Beliefs Throughout Your Life

[quote]lixy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
I’d say libertarian, but I think some of those guys are total nut jobs and I’m not a goddamn isolationist.

Define “goddamn isolationist”. Do you view the Swedish government as isolationist?[/quote]

Sweden isn’t an international power with the potential to do a lot of good on the world scene. So no, they are not.

The US, however, is a super power, and has a responsibility to the world.

I did not agree with the decision to invade Iraq. I, however, did and do agree that something needed to be done on the international level. I also don’t think the UN is a viable option in many cases.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
See - this is precisely what I am talking about. You can’t even offer a decent insult.

I remember what it’s like to be a kid. Thats why teens like you piss me off. All mouth and no experience.

Get a job, pay some taxes, pay some rent, then get back to me. You have nothing to offer anyone with a functioning brainstem. [/quote]

Sigh… I’m not trying to insult you. So far, any insults I’ve offered up have either been ribbing to try and get you to relax a little, or me jokingly being an immature prick in a juxtaposition to my posts which insinuate that teens are not immature pricks.

Once again, what does experience have to do with the point one is making? If an inexperienced scientist were trying to convince me Global Warming was real, I’d certainly be skeptical yes, but if they offered me a convincing argument I’d still be forced to find evidence against that argument if it was new. I could not simply dismiss it and not even address it because that scientist has not been a scientist long.

You are also forgetting than, that most teenagers get their “political views” from an experienced source. My views of politics come from a variety of sources, and from a combination of the many speakers and books I’ve acquired knowledge from.

Do you honestly think your years of work have changed who you are politically that drastically?

It’s not as though people grow up and have their entire political stance changed because of “life experience”. They may approach certain issue’s differently, either with less or more fervor, but their views usually remain relatively unchanged. Humans are staunch, stubborn creatures who rarely seek evidence to prove their own views wrong. You should know that, as you are a prime example of it (as am I, and as is every other member of this forum and beyond).

If you truly think those without experience have nothing to add to an argument, simply ignore their threads. Isn’t getting into a rage basically letting us snot nosed brats win?

I know that was your intention. Whether he meant to, Beowulf was repeating an oft used straw man argument against libertarianism. You caught it, I was only parroting your point. The “straw man” comment was in reference to those who intentionally “amalgamate the two,” not directly to anything you wrote. Sorry about the confusion.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
lixy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
I’d say libertarian, but I think some of those guys are total nut jobs and I’m not a goddamn isolationist.

Define “goddamn isolationist”. Do you view the Swedish government as isolationist?

Sweden isn’t an international power with the potential to do a lot of good on the world scene.[/quote]

Sweden is not isolationist…

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
lixy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Define “goddamn isolationist”. Do you view the Swedish government as isolationist?

Sweden isn’t an international power with the potential to do a lot of good on the world scene.

Sweden is not isolationist…[/quote]

If you look at my edit, you’d know I agree :wink:

Also, my name doesn’t have a u in it. It is not based on the legend or the movie, but is from The Matarese Circle, a Robert Ludlum novel.

(The mix up irks me, you see :stuck_out_tongue: )

Gotcha.

Sorry about the screen name! I use a somewhat obscure literary reference for mine as well, so I know what ya mean.

[quote]rainjack wrote: I just think that children like you and the rest of the latch-key kids around here would do much better for themselves were they to shut the fuck up and listen.
[/quote]
Yeah!

It’s almost as if I should make a thread with the intent purpose to create an avenue to LISTEN to other posters(who may be my senior and have more “real life” experience) give a brief explanation as to why they believe what they do. Perhaps I should start this thread and call it “political beliefs throughout your life”. Maybe morons should just respond to the thread instead of starting arguments.

If only someone would do that.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Get a job, pay some taxes, pay some rent, then get back to me. [/quote]
I do all these things, yet you still lump me in with the “punk ass kids”. I’m fully independent and have been for years yet because I haven’t been doing it for as long as you my opinion is rendered worthless. That’s genius.

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Get a job, pay some taxes, pay some rent, then get back to me.
I do all these things, yet you still lump me in with the “punk ass kids”. I’m fully independent and have been for years yet because I haven’t been doing it for as long as you my opinion is rendered worthless. That’s genius.[/quote]

I call bullshit on your jobs. If you think working full time for 4 months qualifies - you make my point for me.

Your posting makes you look like a total idiot. Read through your history, and tell me why you think someone should be punished for making too much money. That’s what you advocate.

You are 23. You have lived about 3 years on your own. You have nothing as far as responsibilities go. You have nothing to offer.

Kindly stop PMing me. I am not that type of person.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Do you honestly think your years of work have changed who you are politically that drastically?

It’s not as though people grow up and have their entire political stance changed because of “life experience”. They may approach certain issue’s differently, either with less or more fervor, but their views usually remain relatively unchanged. Humans are staunch, stubborn creatures who rarely seek evidence to prove their own views wrong. You should know that, as you are a prime example of it (as am I, and as is every other member of this forum and beyond).

[/quote]

You’d be surprised at how often it happens.

When it’s your money being taken from you, and you see how much your tax money could’ve improved your own quality of life had you been allowed to keep it, your zeal for “ideals” lessens a great deal.

This can easily cause your views to shift from liberal ideals to “I have my responsibilities to worry about, you fix your own damn problems!”

[quote]
“If you’re not liberal at 20, you have no heart.
If you’re not conservative at 40, you have no brain.”[/quote]

Why do you think this quote is so popular?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
[/quote]

I’ve called out IH when he’s been dumb, but damn Rainjack, you’ve really been going downhill man. I used to respect your posts. Now you just sound bitter and cranky.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I’ve called out IH when he’s been dumb, but damn Rainjack, you’ve really been going downhill man. I used to respect your posts. Now you just sound bitter and cranky.

mike[/quote]

I’m not here for your respect. IH is a childish fucking douche, and I felt he needed to be dealt with. Who knew he had a band a children following him.

I am tired of all talk no walk punks on here regurgitating what they have been told.

If you don’t want to see the carnage - don’t read my posts.

I have never made apologies for what I do. And I doubt I am going to start anytime soon.

45 - Conservative. In my younger years I was certainly more liberal. Rainjack is right. Experience will change you. When your the one paying the taxes and have families and mortgages and healthcare your focus tends to be a little more “selfish”. Frankly the choices we have and have had in the past are a joke as far as political candidates at most any level of government. So I’m for keeping them the hell outta the way. Unfortunately there are a huge chunk of folks that can’t wipe their asses without needing to be told how to do it, ironic that they are asking those who don’t have it mastered yet either. At this point government seems to be a big welfare administrator and who we elect determines who gets the funds, corporations or lazy, fornicating, wastes of space. Either way I get to pay and likely so do you.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

You’d be surprised at how often it happens.

When it’s your money being taken from you, and you see how much your tax money could’ve improved your own quality of life had you been allowed to keep it, your zeal for “ideals” lessens a great deal.

This can easily cause your views to shift from liberal ideals to “I have my responsibilities to worry about, you fix your own damn problems!”

“If you’re not liberal at 20, you have no heart.
If you’re not conservative at 40, you have no brain.”

Why do you think this quote is so popular?
[/quote]

…So you’re telling me ALL teenagers must be liberal right?

Because At least half the country grows up to be democrats. So if the conversion rate is significant (~50%), then all teenagers must be Democrats, yes?

Oh wait, polls show teens are 50/50 too.

Hmmmm…

Uh, don’t you think you should start? After all you brought it up.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Because At least half the country grows up to be democrats. So if the conversion rate is significant (~50%), then all teenagers must be Democrats, yes?

Hmmmm… [/quote]

I like teenagers, Beo. And I think you are an intelligent person despite your age

[quote]btm62 wrote:
… [/quote]

Well said.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Hmmmm… [/quote]

I’m not sure what any of this has to do with what I posted.

You wrote that you thought it unlikely that life experience would change a person’s political beliefs. I then told you that it actually happens pretty regularly (and you can believe me here or not, I don’t really care), and gave one example of how it might occur.

The Winston Churchill quote was meant to illustrate that political conversions due to age are not rare occurrences, and have been happening for quite a long time.

33 years old. When I was in high school I had some libertarian leanings but generally strong conservative positions. When I was in college I favored more extreme Libertarian positions - almost, but not quite to the Ayn Rand level. In law school and later I’ve favored an approach I consider to be issue-based realism: conservative on some issues, libertarian on others, and always with an eye as to what is achievable in our political system.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Hmmmm…

I like teenagers, Beo. And I think you are an intelligent person despite your age[/quote]

Ditto.
Even if I don’t agree with anyone all the time.
It’s not about agreement, its about understanding.
And I am still reeling about that Golden Rule insight in a different thread [Teddybear]…

And, not that it should matter to him, I like RJ because it is like reading the diary of “The Creature from the Id” (for the classic sci-fi lovers out there.)