Political Beliefs Throughout Your Life

What is your age and political stance??

Have you always believed what you do or have your views on issues changed throughout the years? Have personal events in your life seriously altered your perception of politics to shape your now current stance?

I’m just wondering if everyone here has always been a conservative or liberal or if they used to sit on a different side of the aisle, etc

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
What is your age and political stance??

Have you always believed what you do or have your views on issues changed throughout the years? Have personal events in your life seriously altered your perception of politics to shape your now current stance?

I’m just wondering if everyone here has always been a conservative or liberal or if they used to sit on a different side of the aisle, etc[/quote]

• 17, Conservative (Libertarian lean).
  • Views changed around age 14-15 from a more liberal view on most issues. As to what caused this change, not sure, but I no longer see government taking the reigns as a positive.

Some views haven’t changed for me though (drug war, foreign policy, etc). I’ve been against government intervention in private life (marriage, drugs, guns, etc) for as long as I’ve cared about politics (being my age, that’s only a few years).

Take the “shift” in my views for whatever it’s worth, still young enough for something to shift them another direction I suppose.

I went from being a parental clone as a younger child (very, very liberal), to being much more conservative.

I’m 17, and while I still consider myself left-leaning on most social issues, I find myself becoming more and more anti-big government and fiscal as I age.

I’d say libertarian, but I think some of those guys are total nut jobs and I’m not a goddamn isolationist.

Good god, it’s children’s day.

Get a real fucking job, pay real fucking taxes, live in your own fucking house, then come back and talk about the road you traveled to get to where you are.

This is why children should be kept off the internet.

Swearing at the children certainly displays your maturity well.
Lay off the eggnog until you learn to hold your liquor a little better.

To the OP.
When I was young I used to think that govt. was actually able to solve some problems some of the time. Now I’m convinced that generally govt. makes most problems go from bad to worse. Also, the people we groom for political office more often resemble sociopaths and spoiled children than heroes and patriots.

I believe that govt is a necessary evil, the smaller and weaker a central govt is, the less oppressive it will be.
Except for this central theme, I think that most of what constitutes left and right is in essence a false dichotomy.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
[/quote]

I hate eggnog. You assume because I have no patience for punk-assed kids that I must be drunk? That’s your problem, not mine. If you would take the time to read more of the posts that inner-hulk has written, perhaps you would not be talking out of such abject ignorance.

What is immature about calling a spade a spade? I am not a member of the PC society so I don’t feel the need to be unduly cordial to punk asses.

If that’s immature, sue me. I don’t care.

Guess inner is having a rough day today, with rain bitch slapping him everywhere he goes.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
MC sp3 wrote:

I hate eggnog. You assume because I have no patience for punk-assed kids that I must be drunk? That’s your problem, not mine. If you would take the time to read more of the posts that inner-hulk has written, perhaps you would not be talking out of such abject ignorance.

What is immature about calling a spade a spade? I am not a member of the PC society so I don’t feel the need to be unduly cordial to punk asses.

[/quote]

One: chill the fuck out
Two: It’s great you want to flame someone, but at least be mature about it. Especially when it involves one’s age.
Three: aren’t you a senior member on here? show some class.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Get a real fucking job, pay real fucking taxes, live in your own fucking house, then come back and talk about the road you traveled to get to where you are.

This is why children should be kept off the internet. [/quote]

The speaker does not change the point he makes.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

This is why children should be kept off the internet. [/quote]

Oh, and for posterities sake, ahem; go fuck yourself you old, wrinkly, ED having bastard. Learn to relax, chill, and chillax all at the same time. And remember what it’s like to be a kid, and actually have ideals.

A forum I used to read a bit had a member that was staunchly pro-bush, pro-iraq war, anti-anyone that he disagreed with…etc. He was an older guy, I think in his early 50s, and throughout the the course of a month or so, he became increasingly vitriolic towards anyone that disagreed with his positions(which also became increasingly racist, bigoted and xenophobic). He’d start scraping the bottom of the barrel with the most childish and pathetic insults, slurs and put-downs towards anyone that he deemed inferior based on their opinions or arguments.

Even people that may have agreed with his positions started to distance themselves from the spectacle. It was overwhelmingly pathetic. One large section of his ire was focused solely on know-it-all kids, he’d start ranting in his posts about stupid college liberal shit-heads and their bullshit, then talk about how much he hated (insert whatever non-white group of people) and how he wanted to start more wars, and etc…etc. all the while using painfully strained language, seething with anger and resentment.

A month or so after that happened, we received word that he had died of a heart attack.

Funny how the world works sometimes.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
MC sp3 wrote:

One: chill the fuck out
Two: It’s great you want to flame someone, but at least be mature about it. Especially when it involves one’s age.
Three: aren’t you a senior member on here? show some class.[/quote]

1. fuck off

2. fuck off

3. define class. then fuck off.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:

The speaker does not change the point he makes.[/quote]

It’s an empty point. It’s like me telling everyone how great it is to live in New York. I’ve never lived there, and only spent a week there on a visit once.

I have no basis from which to offer an opinion. Neither does the kid that has worked for 4 damn months - or someone like you who is still sucking the tit.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
A forum I used to read a bit had a member that was staunchly pro-bush, pro-iraq war, anti-anyone that he disagreed with…etc. He was an older guy, I think in his early 50s, and throughout the the course of a month or so, he became increasingly vitriolic towards anyone that disagreed with his positions(which also became increasingly racist, bigoted and xenophobic). He’d start scraping the bottom of the barrel with the most childish and pathetic insults, slurs and put-downs towards anyone that he deemed inferior based on their opinions or arguments. Even people that may have agreed with his positions started to distance themselves from the spectacle. It was overwhelmingly pathetic. One large section of his ire was focused solely on know-it-all kids, he’d start ranting in his posts about stupid college liberal shit-heads and their bullshit, then talk about how much he hated (insert whatever non-white group of people) and how he wanted to start more wars, and etc…etc. all the while using painfully strained language, seething with anger and resentment.

A month or so after that happened, we received word that he had died of a heart attack.

Funny how the world works sometimes.[/quote]

I have offered no opinion here. I am not 50. I don’t suppose to know everything. I just think that children like you and the rest of the latch-key kids around here would do much better for themselves were they to shut the fuck up and listen.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Oh, and for posterities sake, ahem; go fuck yourself you old, wrinkly, ED having bastard. Learn to relax, chill, and chillax all at the same time. And remember what it’s like to be a kid, and actually have ideals.[/quote]

See - this is precisely what I am talking about. You can’t even offer a decent insult.

I remember what it’s like to be a kid. Thats why teens like you piss me off. All mouth and no experience.

Get a job, pay some taxes, pay some rent, then get back to me. You have nothing to offer anyone with a functioning brainstem.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
I’d say libertarian, but I think some of those guys are total nut jobs and I’m not a goddamn isolationist.[/quote]

Define “goddamn isolationist”. Do you view the Swedish government as isolationist?

Don’t confuse non-interventionism with isolationism, big difference.

Anyways, I’m 24 (I don’t know if that qualifies me as old enough to have an opinion) and I consider myself libertarian. Having said that, though, I started out liberal (by default, not knowing anything about politics), swung conservative (hard) and am still far from having a concrete stance on many issues. I’m still learning and I’m sure my position will continue to shift

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:
Don’t confuse non-interventionism with isolationism, big difference. [/quote]

Exactly.

It seems to me that people deliberately amalgamate the two.

Yep. Straw man at its best.

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:
Yep. Straw man at its best. [/quote]

Not following. I asked Beowulf to define “isolationism” specifically to avoid that.

Clear it up for me, will ya?